Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning on buying a Ripper 415 off ebay for my first crossbow. Then upgrading optics and arrows.

However as I read and watch more seems to be a crap shoot on limbs. Then I see Boss 405 and Burner 415 and others. I top out at about 400 on the bow to save me room for optics and arrows.

I tend to shoot a lot, or at least I did until I lost the ability to shoot my compound effectively. Are any of the KI more reliable than the ripper. I don't mind getting replacement limbs, but who wants to dance that dance if there is a better option.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I went with the Boss 405 package as a replacement for my father's defective Barnett, which they refused to stand behind. So far he loves it. I also got him the DSC crank cocker to go with it, as he is 72 now. That cocker is a slick little unit for $125. I am of the belief (right or wrong) that if you try to get too much speed out of a bow that drops in at "Budget price", you are likely to wind up with issues you probably don't want. I also opted for KI because they have a very good customer service reputation. The bottom line is this: Find your price point, do your homework on what's available within that range, then begin to narrow it down based on features you want, track record from owner's on sites like CBN, Etc. Keep in mind that even the big boy, high priced manufacturer's produce bows that have issues from time to time. That's not so much the issue, as is will they stand behind it and make it right for you THAT should be a BIG part of your choice in the end.

·
Registered
13,241 Posts
Well said...…….and for a new crossbow owner.....don't get wrapped up with the advertised speeds of the bows. None are going to shoot the speeds advertised after you upgrade the arrows. And.....380 fps isn't really even noticeable from 400 fps either. Handle 'em, shoulder 'em, critique them, and even shoot them if you can to help pick what's YOUR best fit and function. Good luck!

BTW, welcome to the boards. :)

Reactions: SEW and Boo

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't see Swats available anywhere and those places that do advertise a price eventhough they are out of stock is way above my budget

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Or do like I did and quit playing golf altogether so you can afford a lot more bow.;)
I appreciate most of the comments, I purchased a ripper 415 last night. What I can afford is indicative of how much I want to spend for my "First" foray into this. I'm not going all in just to find out it's not for me. If I was truly that tight my daughter would not be traveling all over the place playing softball 10 months out of the year.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I appreciate most of the comments, I purchased a ripper 415 last night. What I can afford is indicative of how much I want to spend for my "First" foray into this. I'm not going all in just to find out it's not for me. If I was truly that tight my daughter would not be traveling all over the place playing softball 10 months out of the year.
I certainly meant no offence with my tongue in cheek comment. My philosophy was exactly the same as yours on my first and only foray into crossbows. I shoot a $250 CenterPoint. I too followed a daughter all over the place, only mine was involved in competition cheer. National champions one year.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
First thing with ripper is to put blue Loctite on every screw you see and the ones you do not see. This will save you much grief. Had a ripper before I found cbn . could have headed off trouble if I came here first before buying. I just returned from bps by my house, got a rain check for the barnett xp 400 for 349.00 with crank. Handled the boss 405 while I was there. I really like it. Very compact,good looking xbow.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First thing with ripper is to put blue Loctite on every screw you see and the ones you do not see. This will save you much grief. Had a ripper before I found cbn . could have headed off trouble if I came here first before buying. I just returned from bps by my house, got a rain check for the barnett xp 400 for 349.00 with crank. Handled the boss 405 while I was there. I really like it. Very compact,good looking xbow.
This is exactly the kind of help I was looking for. I have plenty of blue Loctite. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
The fact is the Ripper 415 is one of KI most popular crossbows. As for the limbs they replaced mine without delay when one delamenated. Hopefully their quality team will address the issues for improvement. Meanwhile the life time warranty helps.
I am pleased with the performance on mine after testing it long range up to 115 yards for fun.

Attachments

Reactions: ProV1

·
Registered
377 Posts
Congrat's! I wish you all the best of luck with it, and welcome to CBN, a fine place to sit down and relax, laugh, and learn a few things.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Ya, welcome ProV1, to CBN!!! I think ya passed your 'initiation'!!! I'm sure the Ripper will be 'ripp'n'!!! Good luck whack'n critters with it!!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I bought a 405 a month ago. Great bow extremely accurate using a 290 grain arrow and 125 grain field point. Surprised how quite it is compared to my Excalibur . My buddy bought a Ripper 415 at the same time from same dealer after 1st week the limbs cracked. Its been a month since his bow was sent in and he is still waiting to get it back.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I bought a 405 a month ago. Great bow extremely accurate using a 290 grain arrow and 125 grain field point. Surprised how quite it is compared to my Excalibur . My buddy bought a Ripper 415 at the same time from same dealer after 1st week the limbs cracked. Its been a month since his bow was sent in and he is still waiting to get it back.
In my heart of hearts I was hoping the limb issue was fixed by now. I guess we will see.

·
4,706 Posts
If the dealer is a pro shop, did the ripper 415 have to be sent to KI?
‘I’m convinced that if a person can’t work on a crossbow by themselves, buying from a full service dealer just makes good sense.
If xbow hunting is important to a person, a backup crossbow is good to have. Ideally, a backup crossbow that uses the same arrows.
Alternatively, an Excalibur with a spare set of blemished limbs and a prestretched string Is an approach many take.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts