Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Pennsylvania Crossbow Federation Moderator
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys I warned you, I've been a verticle bowhunter for over thirty years and I'm just learning this horizontal stuff. Does anyone paper tune their crossbows? Is there a need too?

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
Nope. No way to tune bow to arrow. With crossbows one tunes the arrow to the bow. Generally speaking arrows with 20% FOC (not kidding) will fly truer from crossbow than those with 10-12 % as used in vertical bow. My 'arrow of record': Gold Tip Lazer II with 100 gr brass insert & 2" Blazers. For my 2 bows at 280 and 315 fps I use a 100 gr head, giving me a 405 gr arrow. For my 350 fps bow I use 125 gr head. Slick Trick mags are my preferred BH's.

·
Banned
1,025 Posts
X2, although I've gotten good accuracy w/ field tips at less FOC. This is a real popular setup w/ a lot of the Excal crowd, once I tried these components, I flat quit fooling w/ others. I still have some customs [as above] I bought two yrs ago w/ wraps and 4" vanes I'm using for fall hunting as I have bear here and the customs weigh 446 gr.

·
57 Posts
over 20% FOC???

I asked this question in another thread with no response and thought I would ask the question again. Are you guys really setting up your arrows with over 20% FOC balance? Is there a point that might be reached where the FOC is too much or are we better off using brass inserts and the heaviest broadheads we can find? I am an old verticle bowhunter myself and 12% is ideal for my arrows with 100 gr broadheads. Anyone care to respond?

Doug

·
11,568 Posts
My most accURate arrow combinations

for quite a few crossbows:

482 grain Easton Power Bolt 20" shaft with 205 grains of that being the insert and point

401 grain GT Lazer II 20" shaft with 210 grains of that being the brass insert and point

Lot of weight up front = ACCURACY

1 - 6 of 6 Posts