Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like a cool site. How about a place for Parker bows? Rest of the major brands seems to be covered.
BTW anyone have a gander at their new Cyclone model? Just 18" wide when drawn and weighing only 6.5 lbs; 350 fps! If it's as good as it's press my Terminator just may have some competition for hunting time.

·
1,223 Posts
Great...leave Darton (Great Lakes) out...!

Ok..so I'm being funny (?)...but they do make a nice crossbow. Even if they are somewhat overlooked.

Nice site by the way.

Mike

·
Registered
53 Posts
Mike said:
Great...leave Darton (Great Lakes) out...!

Ok..so I'm being funny (?)...but they do make a nice crossbow. Even if they are somewhat overlooked.

Nice site by the way.

Mike
Mike, do you have a link to their website so I can check them out?

Thanks,
Josh

·
23 Posts
Lightnig 175#

If their numbers are correct the 175# bow will put out 138.25 foot pounds of Ke. That is a bunch in any mans world.

Any word on the cost?

navydad

·
Banned
364 Posts
navydad said:
If their numbers are correct the 175# bow will put out 138.25 foot pounds of Ke. That is a bunch in any mans world.

navydad
I think that is a bit out of line. Kinetic Energy is controlled by FPS
KE = mv/450240 A 175lb crossbow with a 400gr arrow genertaes
86 ft Lb of KE. They are claiming about double that?????? Somehow I have a hard time believing that.

·
Banned
1,025 Posts
DaGriz said:
I think that is a bit out of line. Kinetic Energy is controlled by FPS
KE = mv/450240 A 175lb crossbow with a 400gr arrow genertaes
86 ft Lb of KE. They are claiming about double that?????? Somehow I have a hard time believing that.
http://home.att.net/~sajackson/ke.html

I ran the numbers through this and came up w/ 119 ft lbs for 475 gr @ 336 fps and 115 ft lbs for 425gr @ 350 fps. Both about equal to an Emax which is 225 lb pull. The pound pull also w/ power stroke is what determines the fps. The Stryker for example is 175 lb pull but gets 155 ft lbs ke. I know from past experience a shot through a deer w/ Emax means a lost or destroyed arrow at about $12-$14 @ Speed kills, lol. I'm content w/ 290 fps w/ 431 gr set up.

·
23 Posts
Ke formula

I think you forgot to multiply in the weight of the arrow. The formula is

speed squared, times the weight of the arrow in grains divided by 450240. Here we go with my $1.00 Walley World calculator. I took these figures off their website.

362 fps times 362 fps equals 131044 times the weight of the arrow 475 grains equal 62245900 divided by 450240 equals 138.25 foot pounds of Ke.

I know this a lot but it is close to what Barnett is claiming for the yet to be released Predator.

Thanks for the heads up. navydad

·
Banned
1,025 Posts
I know this a lot but it is close to what Barnett is claiming for the yet to be released Predator.

The review I read on their AVI Revolution said their advertised fps for it was off by 20-25 fps, I'd take those figures w/ a grain of salt, lol.

·
23 Posts
Revolution review

I think that review was done by the guy that shows he lives in Italy. He blamed the lower speed on the AVI. On the other hand how much Ke does it take to kill a tree when you get a pass through? I seem to remember a thread that suggested between 60-70 pounds would get a pass through.

As for a grain of salt, I think you should buy a couple of pounds to get through all of the crossbow b s and the presidential race. It will be a long summer for us all.

Keep safe and keep your fingers below the string.

navydad

·
Banned
364 Posts
Here's the info directly from a Scientific study on crossbow developed kinetic energy

"Kinetic energy of an object is the energy it has because of its motion. Kinetic energy is an expression of the fact that a moving object can do work on whatever it hits. It quantifies the amount of work the object could do as a result of its motion. Some types of kinetic energy are vibrational, which is energy due to vibrating motion. Rotational, which is energy due to rotating motion and translational, which is energy due to motion from one place to another. Kinetic energy depends on two variables: mass and velocity of the object. The formula for kinetic energy is 1/2 x mass x velocity squared or 1/2 MV2."

“Definition of Momentum. ” Momentum. January 4, 2004

“Kinetic Energy. ” Energy. January 4, 2004

National Archery Association of the United States. “Archery,” ENCARTA Encyclopedia Deluxe, 2001.

·
Banned
364 Posts
Here's more on kinetic energy

"In the end, the measurable "power" of your new bow - it's total kinetic energy output - ultimately depends upon just two variables: the mass of the arrow and the speed of the arrow. Kinetic energy of an arrow can be found by using the formula KE=(mv)/450,240 where m is the mass of the arrow in grains and v is the velocity of the arrow in fps. So if your new bow setup ultimately shoots a 400 grain arrow at a respectable 250 fps (a typical field-output for a modern rig), your actual kinetic energy or "power" will be:
KE=(mv)/450240
KE=[(400)(250)]/450240
KE=25000000/450240
KE=55.53 ft-lbs "

·
Banned
1,025 Posts
navydad said:
I think that review was done by the guy that shows he lives in Italy. He blamed the lower speed on the AVI. On the other hand how much Ke does it take to kill a tree when you get a pass through? I seem to remember a thread that suggested between 60-70 pounds would get a pass through.

As for a grain of salt, I think you should buy a couple of pounds to get through all of the crossbow b s and the presidential race. It will be a long summer for us all.

Keep safe and keep your fingers below the string.

navydad
Actually, I think he suger coated the review. The wheat I picked out of the chaff was: Rings are too high to use adj cheek piece. Bnett is going to exchange them. Fps was off due to wrong cams, Bnett is going to replace them. Trigger pull [12+ lbs] and plastic trigger was pos. Bnett is going to replace it. This was their first offering coming out of receivership or whatever. Not a good sign. Their new "Predator" is advertised on their site as getting 375 fps w/ 128 ft lbs ke. To do that, they would have to be shooting an arrow of 410 gr. Personally, I can't see that. They, again on their site advise total arrow weights of 475gr, 454gr, and a high 390gr something for lesser bows. I had a Quad 400 blow up on me. Just my opinion, lol, but I believe Italian chronies may be as accurate as any others. Bnetts market niche has always seemed to be cheap speed and that's fine w/ me. Different strokes for different folks.

·
1,727 Posts
navydad said:
navydad
36_11_6.gif

Attachments

·
11,442 Posts
What's the KE on this?

I have one Stryker set up shooting a 22" Easton Power Bolt ("arrow":) shaft with 170 grain NAP Spitfire with total weight of 505 grains. If I remember correctly it chrono'd at 382 fps.

I'm not a speed fanatic for most of my woodland deer hunting but when hunting on the edges of fields with some shots way out there, I want speed (flat trajectory) AND tons of penetration power.

The deer I've taken with a crossbow shooting a heavy arrow at 290 fps died just as dead as those taken with a 380 fps heavy arrow. The only difference I was sure of was................................. the 290 fps arrow took a fraction of a second longer to completely penetrate the deer than the 380 fps arrow:D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts