Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking at the Parker Buck Buster crossbow at Cabelas this past week. It drew my attention because it was much lighter than anything on the rack.With two shoulder surgeries this year even weight has become a factor for me in deciding which crossbow to buy. Was wondering if any members have any experience or thoughts on this model. Thanks, Ken

·
163 Posts
I shot the Parker Buckbuster back in February. It felt compact and maneuverable; very comfortable to handle. The trigger was smooth. I liked the looks of it. Lots of safety features.

After a 3 hour session of shooting Parker, 10 point, and excalibur xbows I came away favoring the Buck Buster.

But then, a couple weeks later, I shot the 10 point GT curve. Very nice. So now I can't make up my mind which one to buy and deer season is coming on fast. Looks like the old dependable Quad 300 is going to get another season while I decide which one to buy.

IMO the buckbuster is an excellent value.

·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks wild bill, I didn't get to shoot it so I am relying on others with crossbow experience. I like the looks and feel of the Buckbuster and it is in the price range I wanted to pay. This will be my first crossbow, so it is a tough decision deciding which one to buy. Was also looking at Darton since I have owned 2 Darton compounds with no problems, although it is a bit heavier and the scope,bolts and quiver would be extra. Thanks again, Ken

·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
got it today

Seems like a no nonsense,straight forward, no frills bow of good quality for the price. Being a newbie (my first crossbow) I could only compare bows by looks,workmanship and features. Weight was a large factor in my decision as my holding arm is the bad shoulder. Considering a bipod so I can start shooting sooner otherwise it will be 6-8 weeks. Ordered the sidewinder today so loading it won't be a problem. Excited about shooting this baby and going hunting with it this fall.

·
352 Posts
In March, I attended a bow show that allowed me to shoot several different makes of crossbows. I settled on the Parker Buck Buster because it was the most comfortable to shoot and a couple of hundred dollars less expensive that my next choices. I also got the single red dot scope since I use one on my .44 T/C Contender with much success. With this combination, at 20 yards off-hand I'm reluctant to shoot two arrows at the same spot for fear of them hitting each other. With the arrows that came with it, the drop at 30 yards is only a couple of inches lower than at 20 yards. Increasing the weight of the field point reduces the noise/vibrations upon firing; however, it also makes for a bigger trajectory. While I'll be using my Hummingbird long bow for early deer season while the leaves are still on the trees, I plan to utilize my Parker crossbow later in the season when the leaves are down and the woods is more open. With a little practice, I should feel comfortable with a 40 yard shot if I know the distance. I also plan to use this crossbow during next spring's turkey season. Tom

·
665 Posts
tc scout said:
Seems like a no nonsense,straight forward, no frills bow of good quality for the price. Being a newbie (my first crossbow) I could only compare bows by looks,workmanship and features. Weight was a large factor in my decision as my holding arm is the bad shoulder. Considering a bipod so I can start shooting sooner otherwise it will be 6-8 weeks. Ordered the sidewinder today so loading it won't be a problem. Excited about shooting this baby and going hunting with it this fall.

con grads

·
1,426 Posts
try out some home made crossed shooting sticks... I used cane poles from the fishing aisle, some nylon twine, and a little bit of that foam padding that fits over piping to keep it quiet.. light, extremely cheap, to the point of almost disposable, and stronger than you would imagine... I used it with a couple of rifles that I got that were heavy for me to hold with my injuries and old wore out bod...
there is a thigh rest out there that looked good for props on the leg in sitting position... experiment...
I have made the mistake of too heavy gear and it was disastrous .. sounds like ou are making a great choice, though...
the excaliburs with recurve limbs are probably very light too and well liked though they may be a bit wider than some wheel bows..
good luck... hope the surgery recoveries go quickly.. and well.
I had surgery on the elbow and wrist on the right 3 weeks ago.. I am thinking light weight my self..
and a cocker...
and something to prop on as well...
dk

·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got my sidewinder cocker today. Plan to shoot the Buck Buster tomorrow. Sawhorse for rest and siting in a chair. Got to do what ya gotta do. :D

·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
kennisondan said:
tc : you make me pine for my terminator to arrive.. I went and bought jigaloo and blue loc tite today to be ready...
dk
Yes you will need the locktite, learned this many years ago, scope mounts and whatever seems to vibrate loose. New to the crossbow, but I assume it is no different. Already locktited every screw and bolt on it. Hope your terminator arrives soon. :D

·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First shots today

Great shooting bow IMO with my limited experience with crossbows. Took 6 shots to get it zeroed @ 20 yds, thereafter all were inside a 2" circle. My first time shooting a crossbow so I guess its not too bad. Noise seems acceptable although I have no idea how quiet these are supposed to be, only can compare to my compound experience. The arrows that came with it seem to shoot fine so if they shoot well with broadheads I will get some more and use them this year. Has a great trigger, much better than alot of pistols I have shot. One thing I did not like was the brightness control knob on the scope, hard to turn and LOUD clicks. Anyhow had a blast :D

Attachments

·
1,426 Posts
Sounds like a good first days shooting... and a nice crossbow... I am glad for you .. sounds like you are happy with it .. and that is what matters..
dk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts