Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am from NC where in 1993 the legislature enacted a law that requires a permit from one's sheriff to buy, possess or transfer a crossbow.

Here is the law:
Article 52A.

Sale of Weapons in Certain Counties.

14‑402. Sale of certain weapons without permit forbidden.

(a) It is unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation in this State to sell, give away, or transfer, or to purchase or receive, at any place within this State from any other place within or without the State any pistol or crossbow unless: (i) a license or permit is first obtained under this Article by the purchaser or receiver from the sheriff of the county in which the purchaser or receiver resides; or (ii) a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit is held under Article 54B of this Chapter by the purchaser or receiver who must be a resident of the State at the time of the purchase.

It is unlawful for any person or persons to receive from any postmaster, postal clerk, employee in the parcel post department, rural mail carrier, express agent or employee, railroad agent or employee within the State of North Carolina any pistol or crossbow without having in his or their possession and without exhibiting at the time of the delivery of the same and to the person delivering the same the permit from the sheriff as provided in G.S. 14‑403. Any person violating the provisions of this section is guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor.

:)D This section does not apply to an antique firearm or an historic edged weapon.

(c) The following definitions apply in this section:

(1) Antique firearm. Defined in G.S. 14‑409.11.

(2) Bolt. A projectile made to be discharged from a crossbow. The bolt differs from an arrow in that the bolt is heavier and shorter than an arrow.

(3) Crossbow. A mechanical device consisting of, but not limited to, strings, cables, and prods transversely mounted on either a shoulder or hand‑held stock. This device is mechanically held at full or partial draw and released by a trigger or similar mechanism that is incorporated into a stock or handle. When operated, the crossbow discharges a projectile known as a bolt.

(4) Historic edged weapon. Defined in G.S. 14‑409.12. (1919, c. 197, s. 1; C.S., s. 5106; 1923, c. 106; 1947, c. 781; 1959, c. 1073, s. 2; 1971, c. 133, s. 2; 1979, c. 895, ss. 1, 2; 1993, c. 287, s. 1; c. 539, s. 284; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c); 2004‑183, s. 1; 2004‑203, s. 1.)
I have no idea behind the reasoning behind this law.

I am I correct is saying that NC is the only state that requires a permit to buy a crossbow?

Thanks

·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

I was focusing on state laws more than local laws

I am trying to get this requirement repealed

·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Im not trying to legalize crossbows for all hunters (the game people here have no interest in that, they told me) just get this silly (imho) permit requirement repealed

The major roadblock I think this this is also the very same permit to acquire a pistol and that might sink it.

I'd rather repeal the whole permit thing (for both pistols and crossbows) but that is not politically doable right now.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Baby Steps. First, you need to get the two different weapons separated.
Someone has to start somewhere, and it'll be easier if pistols and crossbows are separated. Find out who in of your state reps are outdoors people, and seek them out. It's better to do face to face, but start contact by telephone. Visit with them each, and find out which one may be willing to write a new bill targeting crossbow topics.Feel them out first on the subject of hunting, and later disclose what you would like to do.

·
Armed Citizen
1,918 Posts
I see one flaw in the crossbow definition:
(3) Crossbow. – A mechanical device consisting of, but not limited to, strings, cables, and prods transversely mounted on either a shoulder or hand‑held stock. This device is mechanically held at full or partial draw and released by a trigger or similar mechanism that is incorporated into a stock or handle. When operated, the crossbow discharges a projectile known as a bolt.

(2) Bolt. – A projectile made to be discharged from a crossbow. The bolt differs from an arrow in that the bolt is heavier and shorter than an arrow.

I'd start here. Modern crossbows fire arrows. And the so called "bolt" is not limited to weight being heavier. Shorter yes but not heavier. I would force them to strike the law or re-define the exact length and weight of the projectile.
Quote the law from South Carolina as well where they redefined the crossbow.
South Carolina Governor, Mark Sanford approved Senate Bill 691 amending the South Carolina Code of Laws related to crossbow use. This bill amends Section 50-11-565 of the 1976 Code by striking the entire section and replacing it with a new definition of archery equipment.

The amendment to Section 50-11-565 reads, "As used in this chapter, archery equipment means a bow and arrow, a long bow, a recurve bow, a compound bow, or a cross bow."

·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have talked to my state reps (senator and representative)

I did send them a proposal to repeal the crossbow permit back before the 2007 'Long Session'.

It was in a package of changes to the hunting laws I thought needed to changed.

My proposals must have been ignored. However they are working on other proposals I have that are unrelated to repealing the crossbow permit.

One rep I sent an email to (who is not in my district) is in favor of repealing the permit

·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No problem on my end. I will also support bow hunting for deer with a cross bow for everyone.

Thank you,
Jim
Office of Representative James A. Harrell, III
NC House 90th District

405 Legislative Office Building, Raleigh, NC 27603

919-715-1883

THIS EMAIL IS SUBJECT TO NC PUBLIC RECORDS LAW
NCGS CHAPTER 132

Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2008 9:19 PM
To: Rep. Jim A. Harrell
Subject: crossbow permit

Dear Rep Harrell,

You may not know it but NC is the only state in the US that requires a permit from one's sheriff before buying or taking possession of a hunting crossbow.

Would you support repealing this permit requirement in the next General Assembly?

Thanks for listening

·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What also is a point in my favor is there is no Federal prohibition on crossing state lines and buying a crossbow, no state laws that I am aware of prohibiting non residents from buying crossbows (at least not in SC,TN, VA or GA) and there is no prohibition in NC's law for buying crossbows out of state.

Even the NC Attorney General's Office confirmed the permit requirement was just for purchasing a crossbow INSIDE NC.

I could go out of state and buy a crossbow w/o a permit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts