Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a very safety conscious person and want to reduce any possibility of being injured. Are there any types of PPE that will protect me, in the event an arrow shatters on the rail or there is a misfire?

I own a Excalibur Grizzly with an EXT Charger crank.

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Safety glasses for sure.
Optional, decent leather or composite gloves, you can cut the tip off of the trigger finger if you like.
Optional leather or composite upper shoes/boots..
Optional long sleeves but with autumn coming, that is a natural up here in Canada.
Optional safety vest if hunting.in the woods.
Avoid things that can get caught or snagged, such as jewelry, necklaces, loose laces and drawstrings on clothes and shoes/boots..

Reactions: Mr_Krauser

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Safety glasses for sure.
Optional, decent leather or composite gloves, you can cut the tip off of the trigger finger if you like.
Optional leather or composite upper shoes.
Optional long sleeves but with autumn coming, that is a natural up here in Canada.
Optional safety vest if hunting.in the woods.
Avoid things that can get caught or snagged, such as jewelry, necklaces, laces and drawstrings on clothes.
Thanks, those are really good ideas! I've seen some really gnarly hand injuries here from people getting their hands caught in the crossbow's strings when fired. Are gloves enough to prevent fingers from getting severed?

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Thanks, those are really good ideas! I've seen some really gnarly hand injuries here from people getting their hands caught in the crossbow's strings when fired. Are gloves enough to prevent fingers from getting severed?
I don't wear gloves until autumn then I use these:

They fit in the trigger guard without having to trim the trigger finger.
Best thing to be safe is to keep your fingers under the guard (below the string's path) at all times and you should be fine.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Always avoid being inside the triangle of death. The area inside the cocked crossbows string and cables. As earlier, nothing will protect your digits if string is released while being inside the triangle. Learn to place arrows on the rail staying to the side or rear of the bow and sliding the arrow down the rail until cocked. Keep hands out of the triangle while loading or unloading an arrow.

If you shoot quality arrows designed for your bows forces, you have no worries of arrow failure. Do not shoot visibly damaged arrows.

Today's crossbows, if properly maintained and not abused, will shoot thousands of arrows without failure.

Good Luck!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts