Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received my Phantom yesterday. What a great CB. TenPoint really makes a quality crossbow. In my opinion it is head and shoulders above 95% of the other crossbows on the market.
I put mine together, mounted a Lumizone on it and went to shooting. It is quiet to my ears, extremely accurate and quite fast. The rigger is very nice crips light pull, but I new that from my other TenPoints. Once I got the scope zeroed in I shot five arrows into less than 3/4" group, robin hooding two arrows. I just had to prove to myself how accurate the bow is. Chronograph showed it doing 341FPS average, I gave the barrel my Teflon Fry Film treatment and shot 10 more arrows and averaged 348FPS. Not more than 2fps variation in all the shots. I am shooting Goldtip Laser II's with 2" Blazer vanes, 100gr tip.
Needless to say I am very pleased with this bow. This Phantom is a definite keeper. To me it is far, far better than an Excal, Parker , Horton or any others I own. Don't know how it stacks up to a DS but might decide to find out.;)

Forgot to mention the few minor irritations to the Phantom. The very noisy and ratting forearm safety. I think putting in that forearm saftey in is a result of somewbody sticking their thumb above the rail and getting it severely whacked . In any event, I'll bet money it's a liability issue that brought about the safety in the forearm. I removed barrel, disconnected it and removed the noisy linkage. MUch better, no more nosie from it. I also adjusted the tension screw on the rear safety to make it easier and get rid of the loud click.
Another minor item is the foot handle in front. It is bronze anodized metal, looks pretty but slippery. I wound some rubberized tape around it which took care of that minor irritation. Putting a piece of self adhesive felt or shrink tubing on the arrow retainer string eliminates the clicking.
sound from it

·
Banned
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Further impressions on the Phantom. I edited my pevious post to include the minor irritations that I had to deal with. Beside the bow being very accurate, quite fast and decently quiet, it has a real plus going for it.

Taking the front end off by removing one bolt and then bolting up a Curve front end gives you a very sweet and fast recurve crossbow. The Curve is built on a Profusion barrel and stock so if you own a Curve it comes from the factory, you can get a ProFusion front end and have two bows with only one stock or vise versa, if you own a ProFusion. The Curve , as built, will shoot a hunting weight arrow of 430grs in the 280fps range. Plenty fast for most everything.
By bolting up a Curve front end to a Phantom barrel/stock you gain a tad over 1" in power stroke. That gain now propells a hunting arrow at over 310FPS. I have tested the Phantom barrel/stock with a Curve front end and it is realy sweet. (The limbs of a Curve are designed and built to handle about anything you can give them and the 1" longer draw doesn't phase them one bit, 500 plus shots with no adverse effect)
With this option you can have a compound cross bow that's right up there with the Desert Striker and other fast bows , PLUS a recurve crossbow that will hold it's own with damn near all the competitors recurve cross bows. It doesn't get much better than that

The one downside is the initial cost. The Phantom is not cheap, but if you can buy a Phantonm CLS without all the add on goodies, the price would be decent. ( I'm hearing the Ten Point does not sell a stand alone Phantom, they all come as a package) Adding a Curve front end is not a huge amount of cash. When is comes to most anything you buy, the saying " You get what you pay for" is always true. I think the Phantom gives you great value for the money you spend.

·
11,408 Posts
The Phantom is scary accurate with

482 grain Easton Power bolt arrows using 170 grain heads (320 fps). My biggest complaint with the crossbow is it's very front end heavy compared to my Desert Stryker and seems heavier over all. I also had to remove the creep in the trigger which is easily done. It's a shooter allright!!:)

Attachments

·
Banned
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree! It has a creepy trigger. It is also heavier than my other CB's . Not somethiing I would want to lug around the woods all day still hunting. Will be great for the ground blind though.
Haven't handles or shot a DS. Plan to remedy that in the upcoming weeks :eek:

·
31 Posts
It is indeed perfect for the gound blind! I would like a bit shorter model though. I usually am hunting out of super cheap blinds and the Phantom pushes me to the back but is still very manageable.

·
Banned
1,256 Posts
Revival said:
It is indeed perfect for the gound blind! I would like a bit shorter model though. I usually am hunting out of super cheap blinds and the Phantom pushes me to the back but is still very manageable.
You need to get out of the ghetto and get a DB blind. :rolleyes:

·
31 Posts
Actually have one (Matrix 360). I'm afraid to leave it anywhere though. I then opt to hunt an established blind, and that's where I leave my cheap ones. Go figure.:rolleyes:

·
Banned
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got my Phantom back from TenPoint today Had a lamintaed wood stcik and bronze lanodized barrel put on it What a beauty! Almost too nice to hunt with NOT!!

TenPoint is one class act Their customer service is second to none!

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
The phantom

That is one sweet looking Crossbow!:rolleyes:

·
Banned
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys. :) It is a great shooting crossbow beside looking so good. Accurate as anyone could want and fast. It fits me like a fine leather glove, It's very comfortable when shouldered , but a bit heavy.

·
1,426 Posts
that bow.. that bow... the barrel... the wood... !!!

that bow is a movie star... it is the best looking I have seen for traditional good looks and original beauty qualities..
dk

·
11,408 Posts
If it only wieghed 3 lbs less

but I guess that's only wishful thinking.

·
11,408 Posts
I saw that very combination at the ATA this year

($2,500.00) and it's probably the nicest looking crossbow I've ever seen................and it should be:) Griz, loan me some money:D

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
It's an absolute beauty Griz. You deserve it after the trails and tribulations you experienced with the cheaper brand. Personally I can do without the half trigger guard on most TP's as it tends to smack my trigger finger when shot. But in this case, that's akin to getting torqued that Miss America eats crackers in your bed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts