Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Plan A every opening day (Oct. 1) is to catch a nice unpressured buck in a compromising position (too close). It hasn't been too uncommon to see nice ones in the early season, but they've generally stayed too far away, especially on opening day.

For once Plan A actually worked! Had a nice batchelor group come out fairly early last Thursday evening. It looked like they were going to do the usual and stay too far away for a good shot. But after about 1/2 half hour one of the young bucks started coming my way. When this older one saw that, he decided to follow. Didn't take much longer before I had a good 30 yard broadside shot. Don't want to rehash the rest (see 1 lung thread), fortunately, buck was calm thru it all and didn't travel more than 80-100 yards - and the opportunity to get a 2nd arrow in him certainly helped some.

He's an 11 point that grosses about 140".

Very nice to have the (self imposed) pressure to take a nice buck out of the way about as soon as possible. I think I've only ever killed 1 other deer on opening day and it was a doe.

·
Registered
13,334 Posts
Very nice! Congrats. My season is 3 weeks into it now an all my bucks have went nocturnal. The rut should bring 'em back out though. I'm patiently waiting.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Nice buck he's a big old one for sure. Sometimes its not easy getting a big buck to read the script we have laid out for them to follow, I'm glad you were able to finish the job on this big bruiser. Congrats

1 - 20 of 22 Posts