Crossbow Nation banner

Would you be interested in purchasing a crossbow defuser for around $100

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am in a high school engineering class. Me and my team are currently attempting to design mechanism that will defuse a crossbow. We know some newer bows such as the raven have the reverse crank system for letting the bow down. We planning on using a pneumatic system to absorb the force from the string. I am curious if any of you would be interested in purchasing something like this if it was around the price of 75-100 dollars. Also we are curious if crossbow users there is a market for this kind of product in the crossbow community? Also any feedback at all is appreciated, I like to hear thoughts and ideas.

·
3,246 Posts
I actually like your idea, and hope you are successful. There is already a commercial unit available, the"Crossbow Diffuser." All of my crossbows can be decocked easily with the rope cocker.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Like others have said,you may be a little late to the game concerning that idea. More crossbow manufacturers are moving towards decocking bows and since there is already a diffuser available it's really a waste of energy and time! Old schoolers just shoot into a target bag they carry with them and newer guys can buy a bow already set up for that. Good luck with whatever you decide though !

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
Nope. Let mine down with a self made, one handled uncocking rope with oversized hooks. Cost {$5.00 .

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
I think its a great idea and an educational one for you and your class ! Fo for it ! Ill support your cause and buy one when its finished !
Even though there's one on the market it's always good to have a choice. 2 is better than one. Look how many diferent bows there are....

·
Registered
13,746 Posts
One of my stipulations when purchasing any crossbows in the future will have to be able to let the bow down with the cocking rope. Both mine are capable of that now. Sounds like a good project though. I wish you guys luck.:)

·
1,055 Posts
Good on you Josh and co for thinking outside the square.

A pneumatic system that is quicker to use than the "Crossbow Defuser" sounds good.... but your probably going to need to drop your asking price significantly to compete with current offerings.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Nope I want to shoot my xbow at my target after a hunt where I didn't take a animal. Then I have some certainty that it will still be on for it's next adventure. What good is a decocking mechanism if your strings stretch 1/2" over 2 hunting trips which is plausible on some of these new narrow xbows. That's alot of inches in elevation and, could be lefts/rt's if cable stretch is involved too. So my mechanical release is to shoot more and more often. It's the only way to be sure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts