Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently the City of Akron opened more public hunting up in my area, where can I get topo maps of Portage and Geauga Counties.

·
211 Posts
another less detailed option would be garmins website, it has a feature that allows you to view the different maps avalible for the GPSR's and a couple of them are topo maps, this link should take you to the actual page on the site... http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/ontheTrail/
the map selector is in the right upper corner, topo 2008 is probably the best bet

if that link doesnt work look under "maps" on garmins site, then under "on the trail", that should take you to the page I tried to link to above

·
11 Posts
You can also go to Live Search maps. Certain areas you can get a birds eye view from the fall season after the foliage has fallen. Its great for seeing trails, buildings and other structures that you cannot normally see with the standard satellite views.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Free Map Program Download

Here's a copy and paste of some free map info a friend of mine posted on my home forum. I downloaded this onto my desk top it's pretty good stuff!

The program is free, but be sure if you down load it you read the Help file.

It is a free program called USAPhotoMaps. Here is the link to the guy's website:

http://jdmcox.com/

Here is the file you need:

Full Install of USAPhotoMaps 2.77 .... Download Here (544 KBytes)

This software once loaded and you input your longitude and latitude it will center your position on the screen and all you will see is gray squares. You can hit "F" and it will go out on the internet and download from TerraServer.com the USGS topo maps or the aerial photos. Now the aerial photos are about 10 years old.

Also, to zoom down to 1 meter resolution (aerial maps) you will need to make sure that when you download you are at no larger than 4 meter, then if you want a larger picture you will need to download at 8 meter resolution. So basically you are downloading the images twice...one for zooming in and one for zooming out. The transition point is 4 meter and 8 meter. If you only download at 8 meter you will not be able to zoom down to 1 meter. The same goes for the USGS topo, other than the closest you can zoom in on the USGS is 4 meter, but to zoom out you will need to get the 16 meter resolution (I believe). Been awhile since I downloaded since I have Fayette, Raleigh, Nicholas and Greenbrier Counties already downloaded. Like I said I hope you have a large harddrive. What I have downloaded, which of course you may not download as much as I have, is about 885 megabytes...almost a gig of harddrive space used. The majority of this is only the images for the aerial and USGS topos, it is about 737 megabytes.

ALSO, you should be on cable internet or DSL cause downloading these maps takes a LONG LONG LONG time on dial up. I know. The aerial maps you can zoom in to 1 meter resolution and the USGS topo maps down to 4 meter resolution.

~HF~

1 - 5 of 5 Posts