Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just getting introduced to a crossbow for hunting, I want my choices to be as correct as possible. While prices vary from hundreds to thousands of dollars for crossbows, arrow speeds are highly advertised. I am hoping to reach out to mature, experienced hunters on this website. I shall be hunting at 6,500+, stalking for Mule deer, and perhaps Elk. My background from many years ago was bowhunting, primarily with a recurve, then a compound. Thus NOISE REDUCTION is far more important to me, than any arrow speed.
In a hunting situation what would be the practical difference between two shots at 60 yards, one at 350fps and 400 fps? In that line, at such speeds are there broadheads which are quieter and more wind resistant, but very lethal that you would recommend?

Thank you,
Gene So

·
6,261 Posts
The 400’/sec would certainly be flatter. There are just so many good broadheads! One that flies very well fast, is extremely tough, requires very little energy to penetrate/passthru, is the 100g TruGlo Titanium 4-blade expandible. Another excellent broadhead that is fixed is the 150g Crossbow Trick.
The upcoming SWAT XP should be available by June or before. It is only 27”, 415’/sec/400g arrow, rope or crank cockable, should have unmatched accuracy, very light, lifetime warranty.....
I’ve been shooting the first generation SWAT for over two years with a # of kills. This crossbow will be worth your consideration. However, there are many good crossbows available.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I received some Thorn broadheads as a Christmas gift. I killed my first deer with one last week and was very impressed. They're expensive but having zeroed my bow with them then hunting with them, I'd say they do fly exactly like a field point. However, IF I were going elk hunting I would probably go back to a fixed blade just in case. I'm a muzzy guy and always will be dating back to my compound days. Some of the more experienced guys and gals here will be able to provide much better technical insight than I am able to do. Good Luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.