Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hard to believe it’s been 20 years give or take since I got my Excalibur Vixen and pretty much 20 years since I got my Phoenix and I have never looked back or felt the need to look forward because every deer and that’s easily 20 bucks went down pretty darn quickly (with the exception) of the FEW bricks I threw. I have also fed my Brittany' on doe meat harvested every year. A set of spare limbs and some extra Boo strings and I’m good forever. I love Excalibur but I can’t see the need to buy more of them. What has changed in the realm of crossbows that makes an “upgrade” worth while? Note: I think when I bought my Excaliburs there were just a few others you can get.

·
5,514 Posts
Being happy with what you have is a blessing.

I made the terrible mistake of being on the wrong forum, and having an incurable curiosity (yeah, I remember what happened to the cat) ;) Learned from Swamp Donky and Joe171(Dr, Frankenbow). I put a pair of 32” cut down DTM limbs on my Vixen. Made it smoother, quieter, less recoil, and jumped it from 275 fps up to 332. I have followed the path of a true recurve deviant ever since. Being happy is so much easier.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
The old wide limbers just feel like a novelty to shoot now, ever since getting a micro and then a matrix bulldog. The new smaller ones are just so much more convenient to bring out hunting. Not that my old Vortex was ever a "problem"....the more compact newer ones are just nicer.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
And in terms of practical improvements since your Vixen and Phoenix....the Guardian ADF scope mount is a nice feature that most new bows have that those didn't. Heck your 20 year old ones maybe just came with peep sight. The new scope rail that comes on the ceasefire Micro 380 is even better than the Guardian ADF and standard scope rail, in terms of how it mounts.

The Charger EXT is a much better crank than the C2/crankaroo that was available 20 years ago.

Other than speed and size, not much change for the "standard" models. But if you introduce Assassin and Twinstrike into the conversation....they're quite different from what was offered 20 years ago. Though their practicality could be argued.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
When I got into hunting about 6 years ago I started with a compound xbow. After trying a few different bows, I bought a reverse limb xbow. I was completely happy with it except having to take it to a shop when you need anything done. When I started looking at Excal’s, the Micro 340 really stood out because of how compact it is. I’ve never shot any other Excal than this one. I have shouldered a used 405 that was in a store and I was really happy that I started with the Micro. Happy hunting.

·
Registered
Mission Sub One Lite/Excalibur Assassin/Micro 380
1,861 Posts
Excalibur....staying true, for the most part, to the K.I.S.S. principle....not digging the whole Twinstrike and takedown stuff... although I DO like the stock on the Twinstrike 👍

1 - 8 of 8 Posts