Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't archery hunted in a LONG time. This will be my first year back, and I am wondering what is your choice for early/warm season boots. Way back when I vert bow hunted, I swore by Rocky Cornstalker's with 400 grams of thinsulate. All I currently have are winter boots with at least 1200 grams of insulation, including rubber boots with the same. I'm thinking I don't want to wear them in early October and have my feet sweating bullets. I find many of the tall rubber boots I have tried are hard to walk in for any real trekking. I have not tried the high end rubber boots however. Are the Lacrosse boots that much better to walk distance in? Are the now made over seas Rocky boots any good compared to the originals? I currently have a pair of Rocky Like Irish Setter's and they are a darn good boot IMO. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
It's still 90* here. I hunt in short pants and tennis shoes. Just gotta watch out for copperheads.

·
Happy Member
5,572 Posts
Shorts, black t-shirt and Nike tennis shoes.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Its hot here in South Ga, where I hunt its thick and on the creek there is a lot of cottonmouth moccasin's. I wear my snake boots when I get to the woods.

Reactions: wildcatter

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just about any uninsulated lightweight breatheable hiking style boots will do just fine. Prefer boots to sneakers - better rigidity for walking on uneven terrain and especially for climbing in/out of a tree stand. Unless hunting a marsh rubber boots and early season are a definite mismatch. Also agree with Robert and generally don’t wear shorts - bugs and ticks can be a plague as the sun begins to set.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NO shorts or sneakers for me. Upstate PA can be rather rugged mountainous terrain. Mosquitoes and ticks are an issue, as is the occasional timber rattler on the south facing slopes. I too prefer boots for foot/ankle support and the sharp rocks that can be encountered. Not a good feeling when you can feel a rock through your sole and in to the bottom on your foot.

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
As far as the skeeters I don't go ANYWHERE early season without my thermacell.

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
I have never used a thermacell and have not been bitten by a mosquito in years while hunting as I spray everything I wear down with permethrin and let it dry before hunting. They will swarm around some and maybe light on it every now and then but for the most part they seem to just avoid it. No ticks either when using the permethrin.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Its hot here in South Ga, where I hunt its thick and on the creek there is a lot of cottonmouth moccasin's. I wear my snake boots when I get to the woods.
I wear a pair of rock climbing boots. Like these but can not remember where I got them, I think at Walmart.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I wear uninsulated 8" hiking boots early season. Thanks for those posting about ticks. That reminded me I haven't sprayed off my boots and all my hunting clothes with Sawyer's tick repellent..and Maryland's season starts this coming Friday!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi Tech These are nice, comfortable and all round good for me. After a couple of days break in, I ordered a second set just to have. They come in wide width, so it got the nod. I usually wear a 12, but needed a 13 in these. The breathe well, and can be cool with thin socks (I wear wool socks year round, if I'm wearing socks) and are pretty warm with heavier wool.
If you are walking in tall grass, or mud, snow, or what ever. A set of gaiters is irreplaceable.
Happy Shopping

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
I got a pair of the Danner snake boots a few years back. Basically, a pair of knee boots with sneaker bottoms made from ballistic cloth that breathe. I can wear them up till the beginning of Nov.
I just bought and returned a pair of Danner snake boots. Mine were the Pronghorns and unwearable! Got my $328 back in a hurry.....I've heard the older ones were better and when I recently checked their site,the Pronghorn snake boots were discontinued.....Whoever designed those boots needs their teeth kicked in with them!

I have Danner work boots and they are great,so I just picked up some Gators for $60 and that will have to do....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Really hot here in Arkansas. I'll be wearing a pair of Huk's for early season (and maybe a lot longer than just the early season).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ticks have gone around here, but were bad in the spring. Mosquitoes are horrible where I hunt near a swamp. A friend was bitten by a copperhead a couple weeks ago while checking his game cameras. As for footwear, I have a pair of camo, lightweight knee-high snake boots that I will wear this fall. Not taking any chances.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Muck boots.

Reactions: robertyb
1 - 20 of 31 Posts