Crossbow Nation banner

price of crossbows

6K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  texasnative46 
#1 ·
Why is there such a price range on crossbow's?

They go any where from $200 to $2,400 what are the pros and cons?

I hope to be able to get one soon and want some idea's

thanks

Rich

Reactions: Omondi
#3 ·
In some aspects you do get what you pay for. But I don't think you need a $2,000 crossbow to have fun target shooting and for hunting. My son in law has been using a Horton Yukon crossbow (entry level) that he only paid $250 for and he has taken several deer with it. I've got a couple of Excalibur crossbows ranging from $300 for one and $340 for the other and I've done extremely well with them, too. My brother in law has one he paid $1,200 for and I don't think it shoots any better than my Excals or my son in law's Horton. It might have a slightly better trigger pull and it definitely has more safety's incorporated in it than my Excals or the Horton. But to me, the more gizmo's incorporated into a crossbow mean more can go wrong. I just don't think there is any simpler crossbow out there than the Excalibur, or even the new Ten Point recurves, and everyone will tell you how accurate they are.

But remember, this is just my opinion and it will be better on you if you take the timer to look around at the different crossbows yourself and talk to the sellers and other owners about them. Stocks and weight are different and you need to get one that feels right for you.

I would like to add that my son in law's Horton was an entry level package deal and my brother in laws $1,200 was also a package where both of my Excals were crossbow only.

#4 ·
to all,

as a new to XBs hunter (who came out from the ranks of the dedicated vertical archers) i cannot see ANYTHING but arrow speed/price/things to go WRONG between for the 1200.oo+ XBs & the 95.oo used Yukon SL that i bought several months ago.

let's get REAL here. = you cannot kill a head of game any deader than DEAD.

my old Yukon will shoot an arrow clear through a WT/wild boar/black bear "the hard way" with a SHARP broadhead. what's not to like???

would i like to have more arrow speed/foot pounds of energy?? YEP. but NOT bad enough to pay another $ 500-800 MORE for.

yours, texasnative46

#5 ·
Prices

Like they say, There are Cadillacs and Kias ,both have seats, motors ,windows, tires and will do the speed limit in every state.

So why do they sell so many Cadillacs?

#6 ·
specialized,

because "Caddys" are PERCEIVED to be "class" & my "pick 'em up truck" (what my old Yukon is more like than a Kia AND it's AMERICAN-made) is NOT PERCEIVED to be "status".

it's really no more complicated than:
a. there are those who seek STATUS &
b. those whose goal is primarily ADEQUATE PERFORMANCE (btw, i drive a 23YO Mercedes diesel car with over 300K miles on it,too. i don't plan to replace either the M-B/XB anytime soon, as both "suit my needs").

IF i was going to Africa for Cape Buffalo (and i could AFFORD to do so) i'd probably buy the HEAVIEST available "pull" & the FASTEST arrow speed that was available.

i'm NOT (in this life at least) headed out on SAFARI, so my urban WTs, hogs & the occasional "blackie" will have to "get by" with being zapped by a CHEAP XB.

just my opinion.

yours, texasnative46

#7 ·
Prices

I agree Texas, but I think it is human nature for most people to want the best,biggest,longest,widest and so on,and if they can afford it,great. I always buy the best product that I can afford.
If I can not afford THE BEST ,so be it, I dont sweat it.
If I was in the crossbow business for profit, I too would probably charge what the market would dictate.

I love to deer hunt and I am perfectly happy to shoot a Deer,That would not be a Trophy to most folks.
But in my eyes any Animal I hunt and take is a Trophy to me.A lot of people will not shoot a deer unless it is Larger and has bigger than normal antlers.I am sure that makes them feel happy and important,again thats great.

#8 ·
I agree with the statement "dead is dead" I've always maintained that a deer really doesn't care if it's shot thru the bottom of the heart or the top. As long as your equipment can make a clean ethical killing shot it makes no difference how much your CB costs,

I also buy the best that I can afford, without going way overboard. In most hunting situation a mid range priced CB does everything I want it to.

The high end models are nice but, to me, they do not offer enough value for the money spent. I look for quality, consistency, reliability and warranty. Accuracy is a must as well as depenability I believe it is not necessary to spend 2K or more to get those attributes.

#9 ·
Thank God for the Good ole USA

We have choices up to the kazoo:) The reason there ARE crossbows in the $2000.00 + range is that there are customers willing to pay it and somehow justify that price to themselves. I certainly feel that I got more for my money with the Pro Slider and GT Flex than I did with the Phantom, for example, BUT the Phantom and Desert Stryker will put a smile on your face that you don't get shooting a 280 fps crossbow. That smile costs $1,500.00:D

#15 ·
Moonkryket said:
We have choices up to the kazoo:) The reason there ARE crossbows in the $2000.00 + range is that there are customers willing to pay it and somehow justify that price to themselves. I certainly feel that I got more for my money with the Pro Slider and GT Flex than I did with the Phantom, for example, BUT the Phantom and Desert Stryker will put a smile on your face that you don't get shooting a 280 fps crossbow. That smile costs $1,500.00:D

It looks like there is finally a crossbow that will shoot 340+fps and not cost anywhere near 2K The Parker Cyclone looks like it might be a keeper. 340+fps, weighs a meer 6.5lbs and cost $700. That is going to be hard to beat for the money!:cool: :D

#16 ·
DaGriz said:
It looks like there is finally a crossbow that will shoot 340+fps and not cost anywhere near 2K The Parker Cyclone looks like it might be a keeper. 340+fps, weighs a meer 6.5lbs and cost $700. That is going to be hard to beat for the money!:cool: :D
Don't forget that Barnett carries many crossbow that they say exceeds 340 fps. The Quad 400 and the Revolution are a couple. and you can pick them up for under $500. I was looking that direction and instead went Tenpoint. I will let you know this year how well my choice was after I see if the great white tail outsmarts me of if I outsmart it. I went Tenpoint but I got my father a Barnett. When we site in I will post the difference that I see (if any) in noise, penetration of the target.

I bought the Caddy but it was not to compensate for short comings I will tell you that. lol. I guess it is what everyone else here is saying. Go out there look around and see what feels right to you. that is what I did. That and a few posts here to listen to others feedback on products was a great help.

:cool:Glad to be m a member here and hope that this place sticks around. It is a great resource.:D

#20 ·
The crossbow market is in turmoil due to increased competition and on-line sales. Parker actually reduced their x bow prices this year. I just purchased their Cyclone package for $599. It's gets a chroned 350+ fps and comes with scope, arrows, quiver and string cocker. Three years ago it cost me over $700 for a Terminator and accessories.
Same thing is happening with compounds as more brands hit the store.

But, there will always be those who buy the most expensive BECAUSE it's the most expensive.

#21 ·
IT's truly "to each his own". Everybody ahs a particulart preference and want. The cadillac crossbows are out there for those who can afford them and the chevy's are there for those, like me, who can't.

My Darton shoots great, shoots fast, and does all that I want a crossbow for; I'm happy there's so much variety. I plan on increasing my variety with a GT Curve when President Bush sends my stimulus check. I told my wife that we'd be helping the economy with this purchase. She didn't buy it for a second though. She suggested we help the economy by assisting the local furniture store... go figure :cool:.

#22 ·
I think the best one is a free one, so If I win that contest I will tell you all about it :cool:

I really like that looks of that parker

#23 ·
Sparhawk said:
IT's truly "to each his own". Everybody ahs a particulart preference and want. The cadillac crossbows are out there for those who can afford them and the chevy's are there for those, like me, who can't.

My Darton shoots great, shoots fast, and does all that I want a crossbow for; I'm happy there's so much variety. I plan on increasing my variety with a GT Curve when President Bush sends my stimulus check. I told my wife that we'd be helping the economy with this purchase. She didn't buy it for a second though. She suggested we help the economy by assisting the local furniture store... go figure :D.
Tell her it's easier to hunt and kill food by shooting them with an arrow than beating them to death with a table leg.

:cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.