Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
I know in Wisconsin deer property cost is very expensive. The wife and I are looking and thinking of buying land with no trees just for that reason. Way more affordable and probably throw down some food plots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
270 Posts
Perhaps one day I'll be able to afford some...not in the cards in the foreseeable future. I'm tired of begging and pleading for permission, especially here in the 'burbs of Philadelphia. I've even mentioned leasing a few times at a reasonable price (for me anyways). Hate having to rely on other people in order to pursue my hobby/passion.
No real public land that's close by and if it is, it's packed to the gills with all "sorts of people" doing all sorts of things..and not all of them hunting related.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Ya, the Missus and I are always talking about getting away a little farther (further?) up north in a few years.
Maybe even just a few acres with a small river or lake next to some Crown land.
Both of our Parents live nearby, hence we are staying put for now to take care of them.
We both have Friends and Relatives nearby with substantial acreage but it is just not the same as having your own.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I was just looking at 200 acres of deer hunting land in mid-GA asking $1,795 per acre in my latest GON magazine.
If it were around me, it would be covered with 1/2" of water in dri season, and only accessible by plane here in Ohio. I don't think you can touch bare ground for 3K an acre. Around me those willing to pay for leased hunting in most situations were making the payments for most leasing it. Good luck folk's, but don't look for it to go down, as long as folks are willing to try and buy their success! JMO

Reactions: ranger sgt

·
Registered
211 Posts
If I were to hit the lottery and come into a LARGE sum of money I would buy a nice piece of hunting property for myself and family. That would be the only way I could afford it.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Nothing like having your own land to hunt, but it comes with a lot of responsibility, and of course taxes are always due...around here bi annually (Winter and Summer taxes). Live on 10 acres of good hunting woods, and 20 minutes away have 80 acres of hunting woods close to farm land. 90 acres is the size of a postage stamp for a lot of big time land owners, but has worked good for me.

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
If it were around me, it would be covered with 1/2" of water in dri season, and only accessible by plane here in Ohio. I don't think you can touch bare ground for 3K an acre. Around me those willing to pay for leased hunting in most situations were making the payments for most leasing it. Good luck folk's, but don't look for it to go down, as long as folks are willing to try and buy their success! JMO
It said select cut with 20/30 acres uncut heavily wooded. At that price it is a deal not being totally clear cut. In prime deer country also.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Don't take this wrong but if something is really a priority you figure out a way to make it work. My wife and I have 80 acres that we basically gave up all other wants for. We don't spend on beer, cigarettes, lottery tickets, movies, new cars,etc. We have lived in a double wide trailer for 35 years while all our friends were building/buying houses and new trucks, ATVs and what ever caught their fancy. Finally after 37 years of marriage we are building our first real house on a paid off farm. We've lived here for 35 years and did without a lot of stuff to make it happen. Like most things worth having it isn't easy but worth every sacrifice in the end.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
IMO... Makes NO sense to buy. When you buy, you are stuck.
I can lease a lifetime supply of land, way cheaper than I can buy it, in the same quantity.
I can also leave the area at any time and have the same amount (more or less) somewhere else.
No sense in buying. Not for hunting.

The price of Quality Deer Land makes me SICK.... The Average to even Above Average Joe can't afford land.. I don't undestand how some people afford this shit.
I'm in the WRONG BUSINESS.. lol

·
Registered
908 Posts
IMO... Makes NO sense to buy. When you buy, you are stuck.
I can lease a lifetime supply of land, way cheaper than I can buy it, in the same quantity.
I can also leave the area at any time and have the same amount (more or less) somewhere else.
No sense in buying. Not for hunting.
For some people that is certainly true. Others want that certainty that it's always going to be there, no one is going to horn me out of land that I've heavily invested in. No doubt leasing is cheaper in the long run but you don't build equity either. Leasing works for some, owning is the answer for others.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I was just looking at 200 acres of deer hunting land in mid-GA asking $1,795 per acre in my latest GON magazine.
Several years ago my wife and I looked at property in GA and VA. Nothing in our budget.
A friend of mine bought property in Tennessee. As I recall, it was fairly reasonable.

·
Registered
13,225 Posts
I'm sitting on 4 acres of land and my Dad has 15. One day his will be mine and that's plenty to keep up. His isn't hunting land but deer walk across it every night. I'd LOVE owning 50 acres of land but don't really want the expense and upkeep of owning it. I hunt private small parcels of land behind people's houses and I kill all I want each year with nothing but crossbow. The landowners pretty much give me the full run of their places so I put in food plots and permanent stands where I wanted them. In return I try to give them plenty of crappie fillets all during the spring and early summer months. Both them and myself are happy with our arrangements.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Perhaps one day I'll be able to afford some...not in the cards in the foreseeable future. I'm tired of begging and pleading for permission, especially here in the 'burbs of Philadelphia. I've even mentioned leasing a few times at a reasonable price (for me anyways). Hate having to rely on other people in order to pursue my hobby/passion.
No real public land that's close by and if it is, it's packed to the gills with all "sorts of people" doing all sorts of things..and not all of them hunting related.
Amen Brother....I feel your pain! I'm an old "sneak hunter" from way back here in Philly and the surrounding burbs. Back when ya HAD to sneak around even though bow hunting was legal in many of the spots I hunted. It was just easier so as to avoid the hassle of people who lived next to those wood lots from calling the police, who were clueless about PA Game laws and would harass me and tell me "You can't hunt in Philadelphia"...SMH. I miss those days, as the excitement of knowing that a P&Y buck could likely be seen and maybe even harvested on any given trip on any given day, was certainly a rush. Then Lyme disease became very prevalent in those areas, I tore my rotator cuff and had surgery, and many of my spots got developments built on them,which pretty much ended my vertical bow days and thus my suburban deer hunting ventures. Definitely seems like all the Anti-Hunter's and tree hugger's bought up all the farms and woodlot's in Bucks. Montgomery, and Chester Counties. You have a better chance of seeing Jesus than you do of getting permission to hunt a worth while property anywhere in those areas anymore. Public hunting land close by...That's a joke! You will see way more people than deer, and you stand a good chance of getting arrowed by some of the clowns.

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
I'm sitting on 4 acres of land and my Dad has 15. One day his will be mine and that's plenty to keep up. His isn't hunting land but deer walk across it every night. I'd LOVE owning 50 acres of land but don't really want the expense and upkeep of owning it. I hunt private small parcels of land behind people's houses and I kill all I want each year with nothing but crossbow. The landowners pretty much give me the full run of their places so I put in food plots and permanent stands where I wanted them. In return I try to give them plenty of crappie fillets all during the spring and early summer months. Both them and myself are happy with our arrangements.
Put 2 or 3 small 1/4 acre food plots out on your dad's 15 acres and the deer will be there.

·
Registered
890 Posts
For some people that is certainly true. Others want that certainty that it's always going to be there, no one is going to horn me out of land that I've heavily invested in. No doubt leasing is cheaper in the long run but you don't build equity either. Leasing works for some, owning is the answer for others.
For sure! We bought 80 acres with cabin back in 1992 for $400/acre. Now heavily wooded hunting land in this area with road access goes for around $4000/acre...in fact I know a guy that just sold 40 acres for $167,000. Taxes over the years have never been over $700/year. So yeah, quite an investment I'd say!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts