Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

TenPoint Titan M1, TenPoint Eclipse
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This guy opens up a deer carcass to show the proper location of the vitals and explains the so called "Void Space" theory pretty well by inflating the lungs and showing why the space does or does not exist..
It's long, near 60 minutes, but if you have time to watch it you might be very surprised to see how close the heart lies in relation to the stomach plus the shape of the lungs during the inhale and exhale process.
I apologize if it has been posted previously, I personally had never seen it before.

· Registered
1,612 Posts
Nice layer-by-layer video on the anatomy of a deer. Never really thought about how thick the muscle was in front of the ribs and heart area, just knew that it always seemed to slice though easily. :)

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,435 Posts
Seen it before, but always worth watching. Lots of emphasis on the front-end blood vessels (broncho-cephalic trunk), but nothing on the vessels of his optimum target area just above and behind the heart. Virtually all of the digestive system blood passes through the liver into a central vein, through the middle of the diaphragm and angles down to the right heart through the ascending vena cava. Bright pink frothy blood is great following a lung shot, but dark red venous blood from a chest shot means you hit "paydirt". That blood is not getting back to the heart. Lights out!:p

2,083 Posts
Great video. Bottom line,,,we all want to hit up near the front of a deer. Maybe not thru the shoulder blade,,but up just behind it somewhere. The farther back you hit, the farther the deer will probably run. Even lungs have less tissue twards there back end. Which is what I hit on my exit this season. Good up front lung hit on entrance, but back parts of exit lung opposite side. Resulted in buck making it a 150 some yards.

878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To keep things simple I try to visualize where the arrow will enter and exit the body in relation to the vitals position, no matter the angle before taking the shot.
My goal is to take out two major organs and it doesn’t matter which two, the end result has always been the same.
If I am not confident in the angle or distance, or if the animal is on high alert, I’m fine with waiting for things to change, even if it means another time or day.
Blood traiiing is fun as long as its results are positive and practicing the procedures above have ensured that that they are, I owe it to the animal and to me.

878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The liver is a major organ, a deer will die if hit there but not always quickly. A combination lung/liver hit will put them down quicker, all things considered as well as a liver/heart combination.

· Registered
32 Posts
Well, this video did a better job of explaining deer vital organ anatomy than I thought it would. I gained my senior membership in the Pope and Young in 1978, and saw my last patient (human) in 2007, so I thought I knew anything important concerning anatomy dealing with mammals. This video exposed my ignorance about the relationship and positioning of major body organs in a deer. It won't change anything with regard to my aiming point, but you will also come away with the feeling that with a sharp broadhead angling forward and the lungs and heart are cut, no mammal could possibly survive.
Gene So

878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
It was a learning experience for me, even after having taken well over 100 whitetails using archery equipment in one form or another.
Consider the arrows entry and exit path in regards to the location of the vital organs, regardless of the angle.
Combine that with a razor sharp broadhead and your " success in recovery rate percentage" will increase with every ethical shot taken.

· Registered
274 Posts
It was a learning experience for me, even after having taken well over 100 whitetails using archery equipment in one form or another.
Consider the arrows entry and exit path in regards to the location of the vital organs, regardless of the angle.
Combine that with a razor sharp broadhead and your " success in recovery rate percentage" will increase with every ethical shot taken.
Sir ! You have no idea how many people you have "Enlightened" by posting this video. Thank You!

878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you, I felt it informative enough to share with the members. I know seeing the actual organs in their natural positioning was very helpful for me vs viewing them in a big bloody mess during the field dressing process.

· Registered
4 Posts
This guy opens up a deer carcass to show the proper location of the vitals and explains the so called "Void Space" theory pretty well by inflating the lungs and showing why the space does or does not exist..
It's long, near 60 minutes, but if you have time to watch it you might be very surprised to see how close the heart lies in relation to the stomach plus the shape of the lungs during the inhale and exhale process.
I apologize if it has been posted previously, I personally had never seen it before.

Can't see the video, bummer...

878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

· Registered
148 Posts
Great video! Too many people I know don’t properly understand anatomy and I 100% used to be one. Some think ranch fairy is a little crazy but I really enjoy his concept of the vital V and proper aiming on game. I switched to a higher FOC setup and will be shooting Magnus black hornet ser razors this year. I like to aim between middle of the leg and the crease and then 1/3 the way up. Gives you a lot of room for error.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.