Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I go west we always do a DIY public land archery hunt and some years are good with 2 out of 4 executing bow kills. Last year I was lucky enough to kill this speed goat at 52 yards. I owe most of my success to my son and son in-law scouting water holes for me. Just glad I was able to execute in that moment. I do stalks but I have yet to execute. Hey, I'm quite happy with what I have. :p It scored 70 and 5/8".

The journey with this goat is complicated. The original taxidermist I took it too got dementia and I was lucky to get it in parts 9 months later. My son recommended Stone Taxidermy who is nationally known for his work out of Leeds, AL. I took my Pronghorn to him in parts, and said he could salvage it. Boy did he. Yesterday It was my lucky day when I got a letter in the mail stating my speed goat was ready for pick up. Lucky me due to Covid-19 his international work has stopped so I'm sure that is why he got it done so fast. However, he remains quite busy with everything else.

My Colorado Pronghorn will be up on my wall later today!

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Beautiful mount Tom,, That wall is about to get an face lift!!

Reactions: TomOnTheRun

·
Registered
544 Posts
That's a fine looking goat mount.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Looks great Tom. Curious, did you cape out the head in the field or ??? Reason I'm asking is we're headed to Wy Oct 1 with Mule deer and doe antelope tags. With the deer and CWD seems that the regs suggest we should leave head / brain / stem in the field. It would have to be something impressive for us to worry about mounting anyway but not sure how to deal with this one yet if we're blessed with a great mount potential. Obviously not the same with antelope just curious how you dealt with getting the head back to AL.

Thanks,
Doug

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks great Tom. Curious, did you cape out the head in the field or ??? Reason I'm asking is we're headed to Wy Oct 1 with Mule deer and doe antelope tags. With the deer and CWD seems that the regs suggest we should leave head / brain / stem in the field. It would have to be something impressive for us to worry about mounting anyway but not sure how to deal with this one yet if we're blessed with a great mount potential. Obviously not the same with antelope just curious how you dealt with getting the head back to AL.

Thanks,
Doug
Doug, I learned a good bit today from my taxidermist how to bring home your kill per CWD. I actually asked because his work is so good I want to use him if I can bring my game back in my state for a shoulder mount. I'll do my best per his comments. Note: this guy has won national contest with is taxidermy work and if you all could see the African game he has on his wall in the middle of no where, Leeds, AL your jaws would drop.

I know there are many good taxidermist out there but the expanse of his work beyond whitetail is amazing. Note: I had him do a 7.9lb large mouth bass I caught on Lay Lake 7 years ago and it still looks like the day he created it for me. So here is the skinny on CWD and bring game home to be mounted sans the meat processing. He recommends to his national clients that send him bucks to be mounted to have a local processor to skull cut the horns to the back of the head on the buck and have them take out the brains. He said this is very easy to do dn the cost is typically less then $100. Doing this you can then transport your caped trophy to your favorite taxidermist in your area. Sometimes you may have to leave it if time is not on your side to be shipped but a local processor should do this quickly if you are out of state. Then just put on ice and come on home. Note, make sure you skull cut it to the back of the head so the taxidermist has something to work with. I hope my comments make sense. If you have other questions fire away. However, I am not guru on this matter.

As for Pronghorn it is critically import to use water to wipe the blood off the cape ASAP to prevent drying. Antelope hair is hollow and unlike a deer dried blood on a these animals really makes it hard for the taxidermist to optimize their craft. After that use rubbing alcohol mixed mineral sprits (I think that is what he said) to treat the cape then put on ice and you are good to go.

Reactions: IFlyRv10

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My son in-law did this for me in a barn at the folks we stay with when we go west. However, on my goat he skull cut it a bit too short.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
When I go west we always do a DIY public land archery hunt and some years are good with 2 out of 4 executing bow kills. Last year I was lucky enough to kill this speed goat at 52 yards. I owe most of my success to my son and son in-law scouting water holes for me. Just glad I was able to execute in that moment. I do stalks but I have yet to execute. Hey, I'm quite happy with what I have. :p It scored 70 and 5/8".

The journey with this goat is complicated. The original taxidermist I took it too got dementia and I was lucky to get it in parts 9 months later. My son recommended Stone Taxidermy who is nationally known for his work out of Leeds, AL. I took my Pronghorn to him in parts, and said he could salvage it. Boy did he. Yesterday It was my lucky day when I got a letter in the mail stating my speed goat was ready for pick up. Lucky me due to Covid-19 his international work has stopped so I'm sure that is why he got it done so fast. However, he remains quite busy with everything else.

My Colorado Pronghorn will be up on my wall later today!

View attachment 183630
Wow!

That's a well done mount Tom. Congratulations!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Congrats, looks great!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts