Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not that familiar with PSE xbows so please forgive my ignorance. My father is looking at this make/model xbow. From what I have found searching for specs. it seems slow. The bow itself looks to be very basic but it is in the price range he is comfortable with. The thing that concerns me is that I cannot find that much information on them.. Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
175 Posts
PSE sells various versions of this crossbow from the Viper, Rattler and Copperhead. Most of them are actually made, for the most part, by Horton. You can tell those that are by the dial-a-range on the side of the stock to elevate the scope / sight mounting bracket up or down as that is Horton's trademark. I've shot my son's Copperhead and I like the way it feels especially with the molded stock as I prefer a molded stock over the skeleton "scooped out" stock that comes on a lot of crossbows. Most of the PSE's are probably 150 pounds so they may be slow by some people's standards but spitting out a bolt / arrow at 250 fps ain't too shabby for hunting purposes. In fact, I've been told that more speed only means you have to walk further to find your arrow after it passes through your game. My son's PSE is 150 pounds and he is getting around 269 fps with his bolt / broadhead combination. My excalibur Vixen is 150 pounds and is getting 278 fps but my bolts are just a little lighter than his.

PSE is a top notch company so I don't think you'll go wrong in getting one if it fits your budget.

·
89 Posts
Sorry, but I have to make some corrections. The PSE Viper series of crossbows, Copperhead and Rattler, are manufactured by Poe Lang (AKA Po Ling) Manufacturing in Taiwan. They are very reliable crossbows with good performance and excellent values because of all of the features included in the price.

There is no relationship to Horton or any other company in these products.

Jack

·
43 Posts
Poe Lang

Cadet Jack said:
Sorry, but I have to make some corrections. The PSE Viper series of crossbows, Copperhead and Rattler, are manufactured by Poe Lang (AKA Po Ling) Manufacturing in Taiwan. They are very reliable crossbows with good performance and excellent values because of all of the features included in the price.

There is no relationship to Horton or any other company in these products.

Jack
Jack
How sure are you that Poe Lang isn't just copying PSE crossbows?
I have the Poe Lang/Perfectline 150lb crossbow and I can see a differance on the rear peep and stickers, otherwise nothing. I just love my Perfectline xbow and I like to hear good things about Poe Lang's bows:D

·
175 Posts
My apologies Cadet Jack. It appears that we may both be right. My son's PSE is an earlier model and was made by Horton or at least the stock due to the dial-a-range feature on his. I talked with the owner of a local pro shop yesterday and he told me that Horton did make crossbows and / or parts for PSE but PSE started farming out parts to another source, most likely Po Lang or Ling. According to the pro shop owner, Horton sued PSE over a copyright infringement, quite possibly the dial-a-range feature, and Horton won the settlement. So most likely PSE no longer uses any of Horton's parts and is making them from other sources. Regardless, PSE crossbows seem to be very good quality no matter who makes them and the company's customer service is supposed to be second to none, too.

·
89 Posts
Wikldboer,

I am positive that Po Ling is not copying PSE crossbows. PSE readily acknowledges that they source the two current models from Po Ling.

Several years ago, PSE sourced a couple of models from Horton. In exchange, PSE provided a quick-disconnect quiver to Horton. That was the best quiver ever used by Horton! It was a standard Mongoose quiver (Same on that they supply on the Po Ling) with an adapter to attach the mount to Horton's original quiver mount holes. The thing that they call a quiver today is pure drek. The thing that really irritates me (other than the fact that is is a terrible quiver) is that it is actually a four-arrow model with one of the slits in the arrow-holding rubber blanked over to allow it to hold only three arrows unmodified. That's because Horton is only supplying three arrows in their combo kits. How sad.

Zombie... Actually, there was no suit brought on PSE, but on Po Ling as the manufacturer of the bows. The suit was based on the shape of the stock and everything was settled with no changes in the product. (Note: Horton also sued 10- Point (Then called Hunter Mfg.) for several reasons, including the company name. I Think they are too defensive to the point that they create animosity toward them within the industry.

Good Shooting!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts