Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Today I got a PSE Copperhead Crossbow. This will be my first crossbow and I am waiting for it to arrive. I would love to hear from any of you on how you are doing with this crossbow and do you feel that it was a good choice for a starting crossbow.

Thanks
Jake

·
1,494 Posts
Not sure of the quality when measured against other bows. I have not shot one. That is a low end model. If it shoots great for you, please let us know.

·
1,222 Posts
My only comment...is the shop near me sells PSE and directly related to PSE stuff...along with their crossbow. I know he's sold at least four (maybe 5) of them in the last year. I asked about that a week or so ago. He said none have come back and no phone call problems with any of them.
While that's only 4 of 5, no problems through that shop.

Mike

·
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PSE

Thanks guys, I bought the crossbow and wasn't able to find any really negative items about it. I know it is a low end model, but thats all my budget would allow for. I would have loved a nice 10pt or Parker or Horton but not gonna happen right now. If it works for whacking pigs I will be happy. I will post results once I start shooting it!
Jake

·
89 Posts
Jake,

The Copperhead is an excellent bow with a good reliability record....PROVIDED, it was NOT one of the initial models sold at Wal-Mart several years ago. In an effort to get costs as low as possible, those models had inferior stocks that broke at the junction of the rail/trigger assembly and the stock. Also, those models suffered from a constantly-breaking safety switch actuator that was cast out of cheap pot metal. They also had a 3/8" 'scope rail that had a wobble to them.

Models sold at pro shops have a good polycarbonate stock, stainless steel safety actuator and 7/8" Weaver 'scope mouint. The center serving of the string has been improved, but still appears to be light. If the serving breaks, have it re-served with Fire-Serve at a local pro shop and you will be very happy.

Jack

One word about arrows. Hardly any manufacturer provides top-notch arrows with their bow kits and this one is no exception. I would cut some 2219s at 17" and put a flat plug in them. 2216s are ok for spine at 17", but I would use the 2219 for the added weight for enhanced kinetic energy.

·
57 Posts
I would use the 2219 for the added weight for enhanced kinetic energy.

what weight broadhead would you recomend for that shaft??

·
308 Posts
We shot one for most of the day Saturday and I will say that the one we shot is very accurate with the arrows shipped with the kit. I would imagine that carbon arrows will group much better. My only wish would be that they make a rope cocker for it.
The 2219's we shot grouped best with the 100gr.

·
89 Posts
2219s with 100 gr points is pretty much an average combination for most x-bows. One word of caution... The Copperhead uses steel cables with teardrops for the string. Use of an arrow that is too light (Like some carbon arrows) could create issues with the cables. However, and most people don't know this, many of the carbon bolts on the market are actually heavier that the 2216s provided with the bow! Also, many of these carbon bolts are not very straight.

I just spoke to one of the biggest x-bow dealers in the country who has sold literally hundreds of the Copperhead.... Not one issue with limb failurre in five years. I doubt that any manufacturer can match that reliability record. Must be something in the air around the Po Lang factory :D

Jack

·
Registered
75 Posts
I really want a PSE Copperhead but keep getting told that they're "junk" and to get an Excal. Sure, that'd be great if I had the budget for an Excal but I'm limited to $250 and I can get a new Copperhead shipped to my door for $225, great deal if it's a good XBow.
I just can't imagin PSE selling something that's "junk", they've got too good of a rep to put it on the line for something that not up to snuff.
On the one hand I just want to say "To heck with it, I'm getting the Copperhead" but on the other hand I don't want something that unsafe or that'll break on me.
So ya'll think the Copperheads are ok XBows then? It'd be a good XBow for a beginner to get into to learn the "ins and outs" of XBow shooting?

·
146 Posts
My friend and hunting buddy, Bill H. bought a PSE Copperhead about a year ago. We've shot it many, many times. There is nothing wrong with this PSE product. While not as fast as my HuntMaster by Ten Point, Bill can still shoot the center out of bullseye targets at 30 yards.

I think this model is under-priced. Quality and dependability are quite good indeed.

Sherwood

·
89 Posts
TN.FRANK,

Your "buddies" who say the Copperhead is junk are suffering from one or a combination of ailments. First is nosebleed due to having their noses stuck so high in the stratosphere. Second is buyer's remorse.... They have to justify their purchase by convincing everyone that they made the right decision and any contrary decision is absolutely wrong.

Buy whatever crossbow you want.... shoot it and be happy.

Jack

P.S. The Copperead is no more dangerous to shoot than any other crossbow.

·
15 Posts
Cadet Jack said:
TN.FRANK,

Your "buddies" who say the Copperhead is junk are suffering from one or a combination of ailments. First is nosebleed due to having their noses stuck so high in the stratosphere. Second is buyer's remorse.... They have to justify their purchase by convincing everyone that they made the right decision and any contrary decision is absolutely wrong.

Buy whatever crossbow you want.... shoot it and be happy.

Jack

P.S. The Copperead is no more dangerous to shoot than any other crossbow.
Very well said.

·
124 Posts
I own a PSE copperhead and have had no problems..very accurate..only thing I don't like is that it doesen't have an anti-drifire mechanism. I also own a TP HLX. I shoot both and enjoy both. No complaints on my PSE or TP. It is a wise man that lives within his budget. Just remember, you can have problems with anything (including women, guns, and autos) BUT for the most part they are all good, we only hear about the problems, and those are usually magnified.

·
51 Posts
Howdy jake, I also will be getting this pse viper copperhead crossbow. My crossbow is still in the pawnshop, where I had seen-it in the pawnshop. I should be getting my crossbow out this friday/2/10 all that I will need is a sling and some string wax and some rail lube. By all accounts, you have made a great choice by getting this crossbow. I have been told that this crossbow is great for turkey, boar and some tasty deer too. So get the crossbow, start target shooting, get some boardheads for hunting, and go-for-it.. OH, yea, and get your license or permit.. Bro jimmy

·
51 Posts
Silence....OR I KEEL YOU..SORRY FRANK, but the BUCK HAD RUNNIF AWAY..You much of hear of jeff, the guy with the dummys. He cracks me-up with his talking. I was thinking about sending for his video's disc, I think it is $29.00 for the set.. Is that what you say to the deer's,boar's and the turkey's, Be still.....OR I KEEL YOU????

·
89 Posts
Jimmy.... Have you been drinking from those phosphate pits in Florida? :) Take your meds and use bottled water. I'll check up on you in a couple of days.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts