Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading a lot of positive reviews, we decided on the BOGgear Deathgrip Aluminum Tripod.
The Carbon Fiber model is only a pound lighter or so but it's an extra $50 to $100 if memory serves (and it usually doesn't lately LOL).

Should be here on Wednesday.
Will be using it mainly at the range, along with some other rests (even homemade sandbags).

I am counting on using it at an informal tournament in a couple weeks.
I'd like to leave my xbow mounted to it while I watch others shoot or while I shoot others' xbows.

I am bringing a little folding chair to shoot from and hopefully others can use it even standing up.
Some of the guys are on the tall side but there are tables there as well that we can shoot from.

I have seen a few pics of other Members here with their xbows mounted on this model tripod.
It is not the HD model, it is this one:

Is this tripod as good as all of the reviews?

Any feedback appreciated.

Cheers,
dynamo61

Reactions: Tnmtns

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Sorry, I know noth'n, but with a name like that apparatis has go'n, it sounds like it'll practically do the slay'n for ya!!!!!

·
Registered
545 Posts
It’s a very good and solid shooting platform. You will not have a problem leaving your bow in the tripod. They don’t call it the deathgrip for nothing. I think you will be very pleased with your purchase, I know I am.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, I know noth'n, but with a name like that apparatis has go'n, it sounds like it'll practically do the slay'n for ya!!!!!
I know, right?
Kind of a freaky name but if it works, that's what matters.
It’s a very good and solid shooting platform. You will not have a problem leaving your bow in the tripod. They don’t call it the deathgrip for nothing. I think you will be very pleased with your purchase, I know I am.
That is good to hear,
Thank you Saved Wretch for the vote of confidence that we made a good choice.
Looking forward to trying it out tomorrow night.

Reactions: KTownKiller

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Received the DeathGrip Aluminum tripod yesterday, highly recommend it if you are considering a purchase.
I mounted our Ravin R26 on it last night and our TP Vapor this morning, no probs.

It is very solid and secure.
It has 20, 45 and 80 degree mechanical stops on each tripod leg.
Pans and tilts smoothly.

I am confident I can leave a xbow mounted to it without it falling over.
Cheers,
dyna

20200801_103801.jpg
20200801_103844.jpg

Reactions: Tnmtns

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
It's an awesome platform,love mine! I did buy the graphite though,and it wasn't because of the weight difference. I can be hard on stuff sometimes and had read the aluminum legs could be dinged easy and making it hard to extend them,so knowing how I am,I went the other route,LOL.
Terminator 1.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like a gooder, man!
Indeed, KTwon.
Was looking forward to a few practice shots today but the much-needed rain came in shortly after the pics.
It is still coming down pretty hard, farmers will be happy around here.

I am anxious to cock both bows while they are mounted.
I want to get an idea of how it will be loading them up for a shootout at the range in a couple weeks.

It's an awesome platform,love mine! I did buy the graphite though,and it wasn't because of the weight difference. I can be hard on stuff sometimes and had read the aluminum legs could be dinged easy and making it hard to extend them,so knowing how I am,I went the other route,LOL. View attachment 182184
Tnmtns, I believe your setup is one of a few I have seen here on CBN that got me first looking into the DeathGrip.
I remember your setup because of the custom Burky work, what a beauty!

That is a good idea to go with the graphite for less dent possibilty.
We may get one more DeathGrip for use at the range.
Now I'm leaning toward the graphite version.

BTW, do you cock the Scorpyd while it is mounted on the DeathGrip or is it a rope cock version?
My apologies, I don't know too much detail about the Scorpyd other than they are very popular.

Cheers,
d.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Indeed, KTwon.
Was looking forward to a few practice shots today but the much-needed rain came in shortly after the pics.
It is still coming down pretty hard, farmers will be happy around here.

I am anxious to cock both bows while they are mounted.
I want to get an idea of how it will be loading them up for a shootout at the range in a couple weeks.

Tnmtns, I believe your setup is one of a few I have seen here on CBN that got me first looking into the DeathGrip.
I remember your setup because of the custom Burky work, what a beauty!

That is a good idea to go with the graphite for less dent possibilty.
We may get one more DeathGrip for use at the range.
Now I'm leaning toward the graphite version.

BTW, do you cock the Scorpyd while it is mounted on the DeathGrip or is it a rope cock version?
My apologies, I don't know too much detail about the Scorpyd other than they are very popular.

Cheers,
d.
Thanks!!! I have cocked it while it's on the Pod,but prefer to just twist the handle,remove the bow and place it pointed towards the ground. Just easier to crank back to me.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Congrat's Dynamo! I have an different version of the Bog Pod and love it! Mine is more portable for when I predator hunt. The legs aren't near as thick as that one, but it still a fine tool. I was eyeing up the new version in CF, as it's a bad agent for sure!

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks!!! I have cocked it while it's on the Pod,but prefer to just twist the handle,remove the bow and place it pointed towards the ground. Just easier to crank back to me.
Well hopefully we can tilt it down for safety, lock it, cock it, load it, then tilt back up for shooting but not a show stopper by any means.
It is so easy to mount and unmount with the DeathGrip.

Oh...BTW, if you buy a new "BloodMoon" game camera from Bog ( $229) they will GIVE you a FREE CF Deathgrip tripod!
Wow, will have to check that out!
That would be a huge score, thanks BULLDOGBOYZ!!!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Well hopefully we can tilt it down for safety, lock it, cock it, load it, then tilt back up for shooting but not a show stopper by any means.
It is so easy to mount and unmount with the DeathGrip.

Wow, will have to check that out!
That would be a huge score, thanks BULLDOGBOYZ!!!
No problem...Get you some of that, I just did! $258.86 for both the camera and the CF tripod to my door via UPS. Don't really see how you can go wrong getting $489 worth of quality gear for $259. Even if the camera bombs, it was technically a freebie.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I leave my CP Patriot in the Deathgrip while I use the crank cocker. I’ve never had an issue leaving the bow mounted on the tripod throughout my entire shooting session. I shoot from my covered back porch and I sometimes leave the bow mounted on the tripod all day between a morning shooting and an evening shooting.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I leave my CP Patriot in the Deathgrip while I use the crank cocker. I’ve never had an issue leaving the bow mounted on the tripod throughout my entire shooting session. I shoot from my covered back porch and I sometimes leave the bow mounted on the tripod all day between a morning shooting and an evening shooting.
Thank you, I am liking the sounds of that, SavedWretch!
:cool:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Got a link? I was just on their site and did not see a free anything offer.

You will see an Exclusive offer on main page. Click the red button that say "Take me to this offer". That will take you to Midway USA, who is apparently the only retailer exclusive to this deal.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
That's a heck of a deal! Any reviews yet anywhere on the camera? Even though I already have a CF Pod, I'm tempted to get this for the camera,then sell the Pod on Market at a deal!!!

·
Registered
377 Posts
That's a heck of a deal! Any reviews yet anywhere on the camera? Even though I already have a CF Pod, I'm tempted to get this for the camera,then sell the Pod on Market at a deal!!!
RIght? Regardless of what you do with either item, it's a deal that's GOT to be jumped on IMO. I haven't looked up reviews for the camera, but it looks decent. I see a design flaw already, and that seems to be the fact the brain and LCD unit slide in from the bottom, which likely means it's not waterproof and would make an easy target for insects to nest inside it. Also don't believe it's got "Blackout" lights/flash for night use, meaning it will likely throw a camera flash when taking pictures/video at night. No mention of Infrared lighting in the description. BUT at 22 MP it seems to take phenomenal video and pictures. I just figured what the hell...Seems too good to pass up since I don't have a CF Deathgrip, and to buy one from BOG would cost me $257. Like my Pappy says.."That deal is like a sore D***, ya just can't beat it". :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
RIght? Regardless of what you do with either item, it's a deal that's GOT to be jumped on IMO. I haven't looked up reviews for the camera, but it looks decent. I see a design flaw already, and that seems to be the fact the brain and LCD unit slide in from the bottom, which likely means it's not waterproof and would make an easy target for insects to nest inside it. Also don't believe it's got "Blackout" lights/flash for night use, meaning it will likely throw a camera flash when taking pictures/video at night. No mention of Infrared lighting in the description. BUT at 22 MP it seems to take phenomenal video and pictures. I just figured what the hell...Seems too good to pass up since I don't have a CF Deathgrip, and to buy one from BOG would cost me $257. Like my Pappy says.."That deal is like a sore D***, ya just can't beat it". :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I was placing the order as you were typing that,LOL. Done deal!!! The few reviews I did find were OUTSTANDING! Thanks for the heads up......
There will probably be a new CF Bog Pod in classifieds soon!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts