Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am interested in picking up a Crossbow for deer hunting season, as we have a fairly short rifle season in MO and a Crossbow would allow us to spend more time outdoors. I say us, because my 76 year old father in-law would use it, I'm 47, and I have two nephews in their 20's. They live near the property, so I am sure it will spend some time in the shanty.

With what little I know about Crossbows, these are some of requirements I am thinking of:
350+ FPS
Prefer a good scope (lighted)
Crank Cock

I'm also thinking around $500-$700 price range. I can always upgrade later if it truly gets used.

The one I am looking at right now is the Barnett TS380 w/CCD.

Appreciate input and apologies if this is in the wrong forum or is repetitive in some way.

Thanks

·
Registered
123 Posts
Check this one out pretty good crossbow for the price point. I am a Tenpoint fan so take it with a grain of salt also.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
welcome to crossbow nation! I never was a fan of Barnett Crossbows. I would look at Swat, or Wicked Ridge bows. That price point ya have lots of fine bows to look and shoot.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Duct tape dude is right on in my books,...for what that's worth! LOL (Keep in mind, it's a wayzzz past my bedtime here...)

Ask yourself, would ya like something that's under a G, and like a puny 27" long! (Read nice and compact, if ya may)
Or would it be sweet to stroll around the woods with something almost 4 freakin feet.......need a sherpa to pack around the nose end of the sucker!!!!......

Hope'n I made some kinda sense....

Edit; Oh ya......welcome, Dude!!!

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
X2 on the Wicked Ridge RDX 400. Speed, accuracy, balance are all here.

·
8,999 Posts
Wicked Ridge … no brainer. Excellent bow that you'll never have to "upgrade." It's a no risk purchase backed by world class customer service from Ten Point. There are other good choices out there, but this one is hard to top. I'd stay away from Barnett.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
I have the ts 370, shoots 400 gn at 377 fps with strings and cables from Marty and little cam advance.Almost 2500 shots and no issues. The ts 380 Is same xbow with 200lb. Limbs instead of 187 lb. Barnetts customer service has stepped up their game after being taken over by Plano. Aluminum rail,adjustable stock,trigger tech,under 7lb. Put a great set of custom strings and cables and you have a really good hunting xbow. Go to Barnett forum where there are quite a few TS 370 owners.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I forgot to mention also that if you can get your hands on a few models that you are considering at your local archery shop, nothing beats trying them out! Having said that, you can get great deals using Wyverncrations.com, and Dave (at Wyvern) is a wealth of knowledge. He won't try to upsell either--feel free to email him with your budget and goals and he'll make some solid recommendations. His prices are great too, and he stands behind everything he sells.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi all,

I am interested in picking up a Crossbow for deer hunting season, as we have a fairly short rifle season in MO and a Crossbow would allow us to spend more time outdoors. I say us, because my 76 year old father in-law would use it, I'm 47, and I have two nephews in their 20's. They live near the property, so I am sure it will spend some time in the shanty.

With what little I know about Crossbows, these are some of requirements I am thinking of:
350+ FPS
Crank Cock

I'm also thinking around $500-$700 price range. I can always upgrade later if it truly gets used.

Appreciate input and apologies if this is in the wrong forum or is repetitive in some way.

Thanks
Look at bass pro, they’re doing a good sale on TenPoints, and some Horton, had a Storm for 750, had I not just got a vortec(For more than that 🙄 I would’ve snatched it up) a few other clearance deals too, but selling quick)

·
Registered
826 Posts
Lots of experience has stepped up to assist you. Check out their membership dates and number of posts....Welcome to the Nation!

Reactions: Iron Duke

·
Registered
424 Posts
Check craigslist. That's where I picked up my Excalibur Exomax several years ago. Saved a lot of money and have killed many deer with the Exomax.

Don't buy any crossbow until you have researched it. Too much junk out there but also many fine crossbows.
Bill

·
Registered
49 Posts
Do you know anybody else in your area that is crossbow hunting? A lot of good information here, to be sure, but I only come here to learn about gear options. I am fortunate to have a friend who has been an avid crossbow hunter for 15+ years but is excited to help me get into the game. Truthfully he spends more time thinking about hunting, planning for hunting, and hunting, than shopping for gear, but he saved me a lot of money as a result. Perhaps you can connect with a person on here that is local to you.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Hi all,

350+ FPS
Crank Cock

Thanks
You can upgrade but if you tune it right with support here on CBN forums you don't need to upgrade unless you wan't to per your pocket book. Xbows are to do one thing, shoot and shoot accurately and there are so many that do it quite well. Now accessories like a scope or a cranking device are logical upgrades.

I can purchase any xbow I want. All I'm looking for is accuracy and a good trigger. After that you can find many great xbow options way below $700. Now I'm not opposed to spend $1,500 for a Xbow but it must be bullet proof with zero issues that stands the test of time. At this time I have not found one that I feel confident that does. These are my personal requirements.

Good luck! ;)

Reactions: Iron Duke

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Wicked Ridge … no brainer. Excellent bow that you'll never have to "upgrade." It's a no risk purchase backed by world class customer service from Ten Point. There are other good choices out there, but this one is hard to top. I'd stay away from Barnett.
The comment about Barnett is not relevant to today's standards and purely subjective comments. I have Barnett's and these Xbows today are damn good and way better then Wicked Ridge m370. I like my Barnett's way more then the even more expensive Turbo M1. Trigger Tech is a better trigger, these Xbows costs less and fit and finish far superior vs the synthetic rail on the m370. Shoot a m370 100 times and the synthetic rail finish will blemish.

I'd put my Barnett TS370 or 400XP trigger and machined aluminum rail et all as better value Xbows. I've owned Ten Point, Wicked Ridge and Barnett's. Poppy cock to that anti Barnett energy that is not relevant to Barnett offering todays. Those are dated comments. It is not the company in the past that people like to hang their hate hat on because they are a supermarket Xbow. Note: You don't read of limb failures, trigger issues with these Xbows vs more expense xbows. Also, customer service is quite good these days. Spend coin as you want but as a Barnett owner I couldn't disagree more with agenda based and subjective comments vs what Barnett is offering today.

·
Registered
4,674 Posts
Here are a few things Barnett has improved on:
1)Trigger Tech. The older model Barnett's (Ghost series, Buck Commander) had the weak, tiny springs to return
the tumblers to the up right position when cocking the crossbow. There are two identical with one facing forward
and the other backward. These can fail at any time with few shots or many.
2)Narrowing the riser with a gusset in the large open holes that the older style had increases strength. The Carbonite
riser looks nice but it will not take the twisting etc. when cocking and shooting the crossbow.
3)strings and cables have improved, but personally I prefer an up grade to 60X which are higher quality.
4)from reading feed back, customer service has improved.
5)brush arrow retainer. I have crossbows that have each style. These are not interchangeable and the brush is not
adjustable. If the brush fails (not retracting properly when loading an arrow), it is not assembled properly.

Things to consider if using the crossbow for target shooting:
1)a good rifle scope with a side parallax adjustment and an HHA Optimizer. The speed dial is a sales ploy and adjusting
works like increasing the power of a rifle scope. Looking on the back side of the speed dial ring, one can find the power.
2)narrowing the riser and shortening the limbs, limits the crossbow for speed. A faster crossbow has a flatter arrow
trajectory.
3)several brands of crossbows, when looking from one cam to the other along the bow string in the uncocked position,
the bow string humps up as it crosses the rail-stock. This is a manufacture fault where shimming the riser corrects this
problem. Shimming the riser reduces the downward pressure on the bow string and reduces serving wear in the arrow-
latch area.
4)illiminate the wax and go to a good quality lubricant. Trident Silicone grease is a good example and a wee bit goes a
long way. This product does not dry out or gum up, but stays moist.
5)some crossbows require the picatinny rail to be leveled to match the rail-stock. This is another manufacture fault which
like the earlier Ravin, a tilted down picatinny rail is only good for long range shooting (Ravin's 100 yard shot advertisement).
This is the advantage of using the HHA Optimizer or Ravin's Jack Plate.

Wishing you all the best.
Take care.

·
Registered
2017 Sliverado
162 Posts
The killer instinct speed 425 is a great shooting bow with an awesome scope. You can't purchase a cocking devise. It does need a custom string and cable bc the factory one is junk imo. But it's fast light and accurate for under $500

1 - 20 of 21 Posts