Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am wanting to try the QAD Exodus 125 grain broadhead this fall on my Excalibur crossbow for an upcoming mule deer hunt. The problem I am having is getting conflicting information from the company and one of the dealers as to whether the swept vs full blades are interchangeable and whether the standard 125 grain Exodus head is the same as the one labeled crossbow at 125 grains.

I am willing to use either the 125 grain standard Exodus broadhead or the 125 grain crossbow Exodus broadhead, and am wanting to use the swept blade design but would like to have the option of simply switching out the replacable blades to convert the broadhead to full blades for hunting in other states where the swept is not legal. Is this an option that is okay to do or do I really have to buy the actual 125 grain full broadheads because the ferrule and/or blade attachments are actually different than the nearly identical ones with swept blades?

I have had QAD tell me they are identical and then turn around and say no they actually are not and have been told by a dealer they didnt think the blades were interchangable, but the item description for the replacement blades on their website states they are, so I am not sure who to believe or if any of them actually know what they are talking about at this point. So, if anyone has first hand knowleged and can confirm one way or the other so I know what I actually need to order that would be great. Thanks.

·
10,581 Posts
Buyem both … They'll both kill deer and if it doesn't work the way you hoped use the "legal" one in stupid states and the other in all the rest. :)

Reactions: Martymig

·
Registered
Nemesis 480 & DeathStalker 380, I live near Greensburg PA. I enjoy building custom strings
7,531 Posts
As far as the one labeled for crossbow and the one that isnt. The ferrule could be diferent diameters due to the fact that crossbows use a thicker arrow shaft. So be careful not to buy the wrong one. If the ferrule isnt big enough you will have a ledge around the front of the arrow and it will have a reverse areodynamic affect.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As far as the one labeled for crossbow and the one that isnt. The ferrule could be diferent diameters due to the fact that crossbows use a thicker arrow shaft. So be careful not to buy the wrong one. If the ferrule isnt big enough you will have a ledge around the front of the arrow and it will have a reverse areodynamic affect.

Thank you for the reply, that is a potential issue. I will go ahead and order the Exodus "crossbow" 125 grain swept blade broadhead, and by ordering the crossbow version I should avoid this potential problem.

Any idea whether the swept and full blades are interchangeable on the above crossbow version of the Exodus in 125 grains? Thanks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Buyem both … They'll both kill deer and if it doesn't work the way you hoped use the "legal" one in stupid states and the other in all the rest. :)

Yeah it is ridiculous that the swept version is considered illegal in some Western states; thankfully not my own state though, so I can go ahead and use it here where I'll be doing the bulk of my crossbow hunting.

·
Banned
178 Posts
+1

·
Registered
Nemesis 480 & DeathStalker 380, I live near Greensburg PA. I enjoy building custom strings
7,531 Posts
Thank you for the reply, that is a potential issue. I will go ahead and order the Exodus "crossbow" 125 grain swept blade broadhead, and by ordering the crossbow version I should avoid this potential problem.

Any idea whether the swept and full blades are interchangeable on the above crossbow version of the Exodus in 125 grains? Thanks.
I'm not familiar with that particular broadhead so, I can't answer that..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just use the full blade for crossbow it's legal in most and flies and kills just as good as the swept. Good luck

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hi, I am wanting to try the QAD Exodus 125 grain broadhead this fall on my Excalibur crossbow for an upcoming mule deer hunt. The problem I am having is getting conflicting information from the company and one of the dealers as to whether the swept vs full blades are interchangeable and whether the standard 125 grain Exodus head is the same as the one labeled crossbow at 125 grains.

I am willing to use either the 125 grain standard Exodus broadhead or the 125 grain crossbow Exodus broadhead, and am wanting to use the swept blade design but would like to have the option of simply switching out the replacable blades to convert the broadhead to full blades for hunting in other states where the swept is not legal. Is this an option that is okay to do or do I really have to buy the actual 125 grain full broadheads because the ferrule and/or blade attachments are actually different than the nearly identical ones with swept blades?

I have had QAD tell me they are identical and then turn around and say no they actually are not and have been told by a dealer they didnt think the blades were interchangable, but the item description for the replacement blades on their website states they are, so I am not sure who to believe or if any of them actually know what they are talking about at this point. So, if anyone has first hand knowleged and can confirm one way or the other so I know what I actually need to order that would be great. Thanks.
I would say the blades will interchange but the ferrule will probably be a little different the crossbow version will be slightly bigger. I hunted with QAD Exodus heads several years ago when I was trying out different broadheads. I shot the swept back head and killed a couple of deer with them, they actually shot the same POI as my Grizztricks that I was shooting at the time so I used both for comparison. The QAD is a very strong broadhead I ended shooting a big doe right under my stand and the broadhead shot through the spine and into the shoulder and of course the deer was DRT. When I removed the broadhead it was still intact and didn't even break a blade which was very surprising since hitting the spine and breaking through it and into the shoulder. Good luck with them I know you'll like them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just use the full blade for crossbow it's legal in most and flies and kills just as good as the swept. Good luck

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the full blade version is legal in all states that I'm aware of and certainly legal in all the states I would ever want to potentially use it in. I originally was going to go with it but then read and watched videos of people having the blade over shaft portion flex into the insert shaft area on hard impacts and damage arrows. They were able to avoid it using swept blades, and have had some report a little easier tuning and flight with the swept as well as it's a bit mess frontal area. So figured I'd just use swept as it's legal here in my home state, but want to be able to switch to the full if I ever hunt a state or two where the swept is considered barbed.

The blades most likely are interchangeable but I have both the standard and crossbow Exodus 125 grains in full and swept ordered and will see for myself at this point. I'll post what I find as QAD technical support on the matter was worthless.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would say the blades will interchange but the ferrule will probably be a little different the crossbow version will be slightly bigger. I hunted with QAD Exodus heads several years ago when I was trying out different broadheads. I shot the swept back head and killed a couple of deer with them, they actually shot the same POI as my Grizztricks that I was shooting at the time so I used both for comparison. The QAD is a very strong broadhead I ended shooting a big doe right under my stand and the broadhead shot through the spine and into the shoulder and of course the deer was DRT. When I removed the broadhead it was still intact and didn't even break a blade which was very surprising since hitting the spine and breaking through it and into the shoulder. Good luck with them I know you'll like them.

Thanks for the response, and glad to hear you were pleased with them. I'm sure I will really like them assuming I can get them to shoot well for me. By nearly all accounts they are a very good broadhead and about the best for the money assuming they shoot well for the person.

I have both the standard and crossbow versions of the 125 grain Exodus on there way, one in swept and one in full blade. So I'll see if there is a difference in anything and post what I find.

·
Registered
13,491 Posts
The crossbow broadhead will be larger at the foot where it screws in than the standard, 9/32" and 11/32". That is probably all the difference.

·
Registered
7,531 Posts
8.8 mm or 11/32"

·
10,581 Posts
I wonder ... with the hundreds of broadheads flooding the market, just how many Rangers or COs actually know which broadheads are "legal" or illegal these days? Then after that, how many really care if you're shooting a 1" Swept Wing broadhead? I know you can theoretically run into some CO who's a bigger wannabe than normal, but really, what are the odds?

That said, with the cornucopia of available broadheads that fly right, really isn't any need to buy one that some retarded regulation deems unacceptable.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I finally got around to comparing the QAD Exodus 125 grain broadheads in the "standard" full blade version and the "crossbow" swept blade version. Both were exactly identically and all blades interchanged. The only difference being the name "crossbow" on the packaging. Hope this information is useful for anybody ever wondering about the two.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts