Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last summer i bought the Horton summit HD150 (see it here http://www.crossbow.com/summithd2 ) The question I have is how do I properly ultilize the "Dial-A-Range Trajectory Compensator" ? I am currently using peep sights, but before next deer/bow season I plan on switching to a multi range optical scope. Befor doing that I need to fully understand the concept of the "Dial-A-Range Trajectory Compensator".

Thanks ahead of time for your help!

·
Administrator
6,085 Posts
First of all, if you buy a scope with the reticle that has the multi lines through it, you won't need the dial a range. But lets say you don't use that type of scope. The way it works is once you site the bow in at 20 yards, you then turn the dial range one click. This will drop the front of your scope causing you to aim higher to bring the cross-hairs back onto the target. At this point , you should be sited in around 30 yards. And just repeat the steps at the farther ranges. It is a good Idea to sight the bow in where it hits the bulls-eye in the center, even if it doesn't land on a perfect ten yard increment. just move forward or backward till you hit center. Then range it and right it down. Make a cheat sheet and tape it to your stock. Then while hunting , you'll never have to second guess what mark on the dial a range is what. Hopefully this makes sense.:ack2:

·
Banned
364 Posts
Horton certainly won't like my suggestion but it works extremely well. Glue the damn thing in the lowest position so it won't move!! Then go to a three dot red-dot scope or a Lumizone Scope Guarrenty you'll be satisfied and happy. The "Dial a Range" has a tendency to get moved when cocking the bow. As far as I'm concerned, that is the biggest POS on Horton bows!!

I personally like the Lumizone or Varizone scopes.

·
11,425 Posts
I would agree

that it's one of their weaker points. I've heard the same complaint over and over from folks that shoot them.

·
175 Posts
Amen Moonkryket. My first crossbow was a Horton and although it shot pretty good, I lost a couple of bolts by my rope cocker moving the dial-a-range out of position before I could figure out what was happening. Mine was also just a little on the heavy side, too. My Excals are about as light as they get although my brother-in-law's Parker runs a close second.

·
Banned
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOW! what an eye opener...........thanks guys for allowing me to "see the light" ..........im not 100% sold on the red dot, but i do think i am sold on getting rid of the shot compensator.

·
342 Posts
My Lumizone is right on...and always has been.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Wow! I never had that trouble. I never use a cocking device either though. They slow me down too much. I just feel the dial like I feel the arrow against the string before I shoot to insure it's where it's supposed to be. I Loved the dial a range when I shot peeps. I had a bow that was a 165, so it didn't jump 10 yards per click. I did what was suggested above. I taped a old timers reminder on the inside of the limbs. It was 15 yards, 26, 37, 48. But, on my 175 lb bow ,it was indeed 10 yard increments perfectly. Also, I really dislike the triple dot scopes. Too much! Very distracting, but I do absolutely love the single dot scopes. Perfect for shooting after dark like I have to do for hog removal. Big hogs come out after dark. I've whacked alot of racoons after dark as well. Here, it's open season on them little varmints, as well as hogs. They've taken over. The past few years, I've been experimenting with the multi line scope. It's alot harder to shoot after dark. You have to memorize the lines when you find a light spot in the sky or on the ground and go back and fourth until you have the crosshair memorized. I shoot more after dark than in the daylight. But, I do shoot alot more than most have opportunity to shoot, 365 days and nights a year here in Texas if I please.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts