Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking at a used Nitro X and was wondering if you can use Firenocks or if you must use Alpha nocks only? Thanks.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. So the Alpha nock is a glorified moon nock and not a containment nock?

·
TenPoint Representative
1,888 Posts
It is certainly not a glorified moon nock by any means. A half moon is full of sharp edges and angles that do not work with today's ultra narrow bows. It is not a containment nock.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Tim the Alpha is like Randy said, a far cry from a moon nock, and even less sharp and blocky in the throat than firenocks. I will say that Nitro X is as accurate as any of the scorpyds I owned, and better than some, would shoot well above it's rated speed, very small, but a heavy dead shooting silent bow! I really liked mine!

I have use the Alpha nocks on other bows with great results, but can't on L'il Sassy because I don't have any cut short enough with the inserts for them installed! You have to have bushings installed to use them, I have still not seen full diameter Alphas to fit .300 arrows. The receivers are sized to the arrow shafts your going to use, then glued in the will receive any of the Alpha nocks.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is certainly not a glorified moon nock by any means. A half moon is full of sharp edges and angles that do not work with today's ultra narrow bows. It is not a containment nock.
I’ve seen the Alpha nocks, to me they’re still a moon nock with the groove's sides rounded towards the front for the string to lay against.

So my original question was could I use a J, Q, or U Firenock or not?

I was looking at buying a used TenPoint Nitro X but if I can’t use a containment nock I’ll probably have to pass on it. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I know on that sharp of angle I would never use anything but the Alpha, it is that forgiving to the string,, and that brush is a very secure arrow holder! I just wish I could use firenocks lights batteries and system in them, the lighted system is not for me from Tenpoint.

·
TenPoint Representative
1,888 Posts
I’ve seen the Alpha nocks, to me they’re still a moon nock with the groove's sides rounded towards the front for the string to lay against.

So my original question was could I use a J, Q, or U Firenock or not?

I was looking at buying a used TenPoint Nitro X but if I can’t use a containment nock I’ll probably have to pass on it. Thanks.
Pass. It requires the Alpha nock.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
This discussion has been going on since the Omni nock was created. Many archers have used other nock designs in TP bows with much success. The new severe string angled bows require a nock that will maximize string contact (no gaps between string and nock surface). The edges also have to be rounded so servings are not damaged. Yes, the Omni is a modified flat nock and a Alpha is a modified moon nock. It's the modifications/nuances that make a difference.

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks archer36, I haven’t followed any of the TenPoint forums since I’ve only owned Scorpyd and Mission crossbows (oops, I did have a Barnett).

I would think the only time the string would make contact with the nock sides would be after release. The claws should still hold the string straight across behind them.

But with a 7” ATA cocked on a 12 1/2” stroke does seem a bit narrow.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
TP I don't have any issues with the Alpha's in the Vapor. Though I agree a press fit is a better system. I stick with TP's set up. The string nicely wraps around that Alpha. I'm telling you that string almost goes straight back. The beauty is you can do whatever you like with arrows. I used to play with nocking systems but these new HP bows are a different animal.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just wondering if it is normal for the cables to fray after 100 shots on the new Vapor RS470? I have an indention on the center serving that has been there since the first few shots. It seems to stay the same but I have heard numerous horror stories of these bows blowing up. I have kept the cables waxed and lubed as shown on the Tenpoint site.

Attachments

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bonnsam”s cables look disturbing!

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
String looks normal. I have fraying on my cables but keep them well waxed. I'd ask TP about yours

1 - 15 of 15 Posts