Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be my first year to hunt with a crossbow in Louisiana since they enacted the Crossbow Law. I will be hunting on approx six thousand acres of public land that is bow hunting only. I have a Summit climbing stand that I have hunted out of before, but was maybe leaning towards a good pop up ground blind. Where I hunt, you must bring in and out your stand, either ground or climber, after each hunt. Just wondering what yall's thoughts are because I have never hunted with a crossbow. Any and all opinions are appreciated.

·
Administrator
6,085 Posts
Ground blinds can be a great method of hunting deer. You mentioned you need to bring in and out of the woods every time you hunt. Many of these blind probably weigh more than your treestand. For that reason, I would stick to the treestand when hunting the public land. Also, a blind is more effective when the deer have a chance to get used to it being around. If you put in in a spot one day and another spot the next, you might end up spooking some of the deer.
Good Luck, Jeff

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
I agree ,I would stick with the Climber.
Another thing with the climber, if you choose to move ,maybe to an area where you see more activity you can do so without much disturbance.

Wow, Six thousand acres without a gun blast,super:D

·
10 Posts
Hmm?

One of the reasons that I enjoy hunting with a crossbow is to hunt from the ground. For me it just seems a little easier to get a shot off on the ground with a crossbow. I rarely use either a stand or a blind. Just a nice comfy pillow on the ground. With a crossbow you dont need to sit a special way in order to draw the bow before the shot. Nice camo, pillow, crossbow, arrows, prunning shears, knife. All I carry most times now. Hunting like this enables me to play the wind and make changes as required easily if needed. Six deer in 2 years tells me this technique works.

·
329 Posts
to all,

fwiw, i never use anything but a TREE-stand,as it gets me UP where i can SEE & where the deer cannot easily see me.
AND
inasmuch as i hunt with a bow during GUN season, it gets me "out of the line of fire"!!!

assuming there are trees that will SAFELY hold a stand, of course. if there are no trees, a tall tripod is the next best deal, imVho.

yours, texasnative46.

C

·
0 Posts
Hi, I sometimes use a portable ground blind and I have found an easier way (for me that is).
I use a fold up golf cart, the type used to hold just the golf bag. I camoed it ,can fold it up and put it inside my blind. It helps to roll the blind to my setup spot. Bunji cords work.

·
Administrator
6,085 Posts
curmudgeon said:
Hi, I sometimes use a portable ground blind and I have found an easier way (for me that is).
I use a fold up golf cart, the type used to hold just the golf bag. I camoed it ,can fold it up and put it inside my blind. It helps to roll the blind to my setup spot. Bunji cords work.
Good Idea. Nice.:rolleyes:

·
Banned
402 Posts
I like the idea of golf bag cart

I like the idea sounds good to me, of golf bag cart, I have to walk a long distance everyday, with crossbow, Blind, and deer decoy, will help a lot,
Blind should fit nicely..I have no problem with blind spooking deer, its the smell of humans that spook the deer use lots of scent elimination spray on everything,
on a budget use baking soda and water mixed, leave your boots and cloths in plastic bag with cedar shavings over night and between hunts, deer love to rub on ceders and great cover scent..I hunted from tree stands for over 20 years now I am strickly a ground Blind hunter, If the deer are looking at your decoy they are not looking at the blind, and i can stay out in rain and snow and adverse weather wind sucks the heat out of you fast in a tree unprotected for the cold wind,the longer you can stay in the woods the better your odds of taking a big buck, a lot of hunters are froze out and back at camp by 10 or 11 am, i stay from daylight to dark if needed..kicked back in my comfy blind in a comfy chair, and i am not scared to move around if needed without a deer spotting me moving in a tree
yes i have seen and taken a lot of deer from tree stands, in 20 years, i just find this better for me as of now they had no decent blinds back then, Blinds have come a long way in recent years, the longer i can stay in the woods the better my odds of seeing what i am after.
Blinds do not spook deer ,human smell spooks the deer, and they blame it on the blind.
movement catches a deers eyes no movement no problem, and were a black face mask in the blind.blend into the shadows inside the blind. You do not even need a camo inside a blind,

Attachments

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
Ground blinds

Sometime Blinds and other out of place items,cut limbs,open cuts,downed trees ,will spook Deer.
I use ground blinds on my property and several times after placing a blind in a hot spot I have observed the blind area from a long distance. Days later, using binoculars have watched Deer take a wide berth around the Blind,even stomping and snorting at the blind.

Sometimes it takes many days befor a Deer will come near a blind even though no human has set foot in the area.

Some areas,and situations take longer for Deer to get use to a Blind.

I do know there are exceptions ,having taken Deer from a ground blind set up only minutes befor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts