Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I replaced string and cables on my Scorpyd Deathstalker Grim Reaper with a new set from Marty. The cams looks in synch. But the timing holes are little closer from limbs. Whats the distance from limbs to center of timing hole on your Deathstalker Grim Reaper?

·
Registered
14 Posts
The strings on the Deathstalker are different than the grim reaper. I hope your string maker was aware of that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I have that they are the same. The only diference is with the DS420 because they still use the 130 lbs limbs so, the cables are shorter than the 380's. But since the GR edition uses the 150 lbs Barnsdale limbs there's no need to shorten anything to achieve the higher speed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have that they are the same. The only diference is with the DS420 because they still use the 130 lbs limbs so, the cables are shorter than the 380's. But since the GR edition uses the 150 lbs Barnsdale limbs there's no need to shorten anything to achieve the higher speed.
I'm confused as you told me differently when I got my strings from you...

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is what I was told by someone who knows basically everything about Scorpyd.

If you want Marty to build you a string/cables make sure he has the correct measurements because the Grims are different than what he knows.
South Shore Archery reserves your original string for $15. Rogue I believe will reserve it for free because they are Rogue products.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Marty had the right measurements. I gave him the information Rex had given me. Is there anyone know the distance between the center timing hole and limbs ?

Reactions: JackW.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
This is what I was told by someone who knows basically everything about Scorpyd.

If you want Marty to build you a string/cables make sure he has the correct measurements because the Grims are different than what he knows.
South Shore Archery reserves your original string for $15. Rogue I believe will reserve it for free because they are Rogue products.

Yes, I was mistaken... i was thinking the 420 at the time...sorry... it can get confusing sometimes trying to remember all the specs for all the bows I build for.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
I know one thing for sure! IF Marty made a mistake,you can be assured he would make it right,FACT!!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had my targets today. I found the problem when I cocked the crossbow: 11’’ between the axes, not 10 3/4". I added some twists on cables. The timing holes are now as they were before I changed string and cables.

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
The string on my DS380 with 130# limbs is 43 3/8", the cables are 17 1/4” each, with the timing holes at 3/8” from the limb face.

I'm pretty sure the cables for the Grim Reaper with 150# limbs were shorter - I thought they were about 17” or so, I think the string may have been different as well but I’m not sure. I think the timing hole was way past 1/2”, maybe closer to 3/4” but I’m not positive.

I’d send an email to [email protected] and ask for the pertinent info for your crossbow - string and cable lengths plus ATA uncocked.. Good luck.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Deathstalker 380 and Deathstalker Grim Reaper have the same string and cables. Rex given me the specs: 43 3/8’’ and 17 1/4’’ . Here a pic of cam after I added some twists on cables for respect ATA specs (17 1/2´´ uncocked and 10 3/4´´ cocked). There is 1/4 ´´ between the center timing hole and limbs.
7F3143F0-BE7B-497E-AC12-934E54D1C66B.jpeg

Reactions: Martymig

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I can see that I need to make the loops for the string a little smaller. I started making them a little bigger due to the new gen 7 cams with the beefier tear drop and it's just turning into a habit now but they could be a little smaller still for the older cams. It should be okay but I'm just worried about the cam track cutting into the loop end serving where it ends at the begining of the loop. It should be where that gap between the tear drop and the begining of the cam track is.
Thanks for the photo.

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
I assume the Grim Reaper was only made in 2018?

2017-2018 Deathstalker 380 (130#, 115#, 100# limbs), and 2018 Deathstalker 150# Grim Reaper Edition.

String - 43 3/8"
Cables - 17 1/4"

2018-2019 Deathstalker 400/420, 2019 lower poundage Deathstalkers limbs with the narrower ATA like the 400/420.

String - 43 3/8"
Cables - 16 5/16"

Scorpyd Specs.
  • 17 1/2" AXLE TO AXLE UNCOCKED
  • 10 3/4" AXLE TO AXLE COCKED
My GRE measures 5/16" from the inside of the limb to the center of the hole. Or, 1/4" to the close edge of the hole, and 3/8" too the far edge of the hole.

The Grim Reaper Edition uses the Barnsdale Limbs, and they are 1/2" thick at the tips.

The Deathstalker 380 has the same ATA, uses the Gordon Glass BP limbs, and are only 3/8" thick at the tips. The center of the timing hole is 3/8" from the inside of the limb on the 380.

The DS 400/420 is a whole different animal.

Reactions: Martymig

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Those Barnsdales are good limbs. Not saying that the Gordon Glasses aren't but I think anything that's laminated has a much higher tolerance rate when it comes to stress being placed on it.

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
Mim - anyway you can measure the thickness your GR limb tips with a set of calipers?

I had to make a change on my DS380 so I sent my limbs and Gen 4 cams in to Scorpyd. I got back what looks like heavier limbs and Gen 7 cams.

Per Ventilator’s limb statement - DS380 limbs should be Gordon Glass with 3/8” thick tips, mine are .466” thick so I’m taking a wild guess that they are the 1/2” thick Barnsdale.

I reserved the center on my original Rouge string and put it and the Rogue cables back on and I had to add a lot of twists back in the cables to get my 3/8” limb to timing hole back. But the ATA shrunk down to 17 1/4” - about an 1/4” too short.

I’m not sure if I untwist the cables back to a 5/16” timing hole to the limb face like the GR what I’ll have.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Mim - anyway you can measure the thickness your GR limb tips with a set of calipers?

I had to make a change on my DS380 so I sent my limbs and Gen 4 cams in to Scorpyd. I got back what looks like heavier limbs and Gen 7 cams.

Per Ventilator’s limb statement - DS380 limbs should be Gordon Glass with 3/8” thick tips, mine are .466” thick so I’m taking a wild guess that they are the 1/2” thick Barnsdale.

I reserved the center on my original Rouge string and put it and the Rogue cables back on and I had to add a lot of twists back in the cables to get my 3/8” limb to timing hole back. But the ATA shrunk down to 17 1/4” - about an 1/4” too short.

I’m not sure if I untwist the cables back to a 5/16” timing hole to the limb face like the GR what I’ll have.
How far the timing holes are from the limbs don't really mean squat IMO. The best way to get everything set right is by using a chrono. Shoot adjust, repeat until you find the sweet spot. Everything really depends on the cables, strings, cams, limbs, limb pockets, axles, finish on the limbs, finish in the limb pockets, finish on the cams, riser and where the string latches when cocked, etc... They aren't all exactly the same. Close maybe but not the same. Time consuming yes but the best way I think.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts