Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I just purchased the mission sub 1 XR. My father has an elk hunt this fall and I am looking at what bolt to shoot. The stock mission bolts are 350 grain depending on the tip, I’m used to shooting a 450 grain arrow out of my compound so 350 out of the xbow seems light for elk. What are the experts 2 cents? I’m looking at the gold tip nitros, In a 20 inch bolt with a 100 gr. tip that puts me at 440. Idk what foc is ideal for bolts but in my mind seems like that would be a pretty deadly combo out to 70, I’m imagining around 375 FPS with the 440 bolt. Any input would be great! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
If your crossbow will shoot 1/2 moon nocks, I highly recommend the 20"
Blood Sport Witness. With 100 grain point they average 428 grain. The
20" list as weight forward where they use a 95 grain brass insert. They
are made in China for Plano Synergy. .300 ID with push in nocks. They
come 6 per box with out points.
I have purchased them at Wal Mart and Amazon.
At the present time I am target shooting with these arrows, using a
Carbon Express 390 Pile Driver crossbow advertised as shooting a
380 grain arrow-point combination at 390 feet per second. My chronograph
is showing and average of 369 feet per second with this arrow which
would equate to 385 feet per second with a 380 grain arrow. For every
10 grains over what the manufacture advertises, one loses approximately
3 feet per second.

Wishing you all the best with what ever you choose.
Take care.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
I had a Sub-1 XR and used Firenock D3 nocks I think, I’d check with Dorge first.

I wouldn’t use anything but a full containment nock if I were tramping around in elk country.

Reactions: Rit

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey guys, so I just purchased the mission sub 1 XR. My father has an elk hunt this fall and I am looking at what bolt to shoot. The stock mission bolts are 350 grain depending on the tip, I’m used to shooting a 450 grain arrow out of my compound so 350 out of the xbow seems light for elk. What are the experts 2 cents? I’m looking at the gold tip nitros, In a 20 inch bolt with a 100 gr. tip that puts me at 440. Idk what foc is ideal for bolts but in my mind seems like that would be a pretty deadly combo out to 70, I’m imagining around 375 FPS with the 440 bolt. Any input would be great! Thanks guys!
Most of us call them crossbow arrows.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Read up on the Sub1 XR on the manufactures website. Lots of information can be had. I shoot Executioners with half moon plastic nocks out of my Sub1 wish I could help you with the XR. I seen were some guys were also shooting Executioners from their XR’s not sure on the nock. Good luck with the bow.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts

·
2,262 Posts
Over the years i have tried a bunch of arrows. My favorite is the Spynal Tapps from southshorearchery. They can fix you up anyway you want. And they will shoot. I have been shooting mission crossbows for 7 or 8 years. I don't have the Sub 1 XR. I use the MXB 400's there just a little faster. But the tapps/zombies indexed are all i'll fool with.

Good luck on your hunt :).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts