Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Swear I posted a thread on this yesterday but doesn't look like it posted. So I'm going to be extensively testing magnus black hornet ser razor broadheads this weekend and my plan is to use them all season and sharpen them after practice and hopefully after taking down some deer!

I spoke to the magnus rep and he said to use the KME kit here KME Broadhead Sharpening Kit - Standard and what I'd like clarity on is its my understand I clamp the broadhead (only the main blade for the black hornet since its 4 blade) and make sure its flush on the stone so its even, draw a sharpie on the broadhead so I can see what I'm sharpening, do I start with coarse or medium stone and also do I make a stroke that's only forward or forward and back?

Any other tips or recommendations would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
8,868 Posts
First off … I'd NEVER use oil on a sharpening stone! I did it years ago and in my opinion all it does is clog up the stone and make a sticky mess. I'd use whetstones and water. There's a million videos on how to use whetstones and/or diamond sharpening stones.

That said, I doubt you'd need a coarse stone for sharpening broadheads. I'd go with medium if it's beat-up and fine if you want to put a razor edge on it.

Reactions: Swamp Hunter 92NC

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have always just used one of this type for my fixed and mechanical broadheads and it gets them shaving sharp in just a few licks for each blade.
Wait what the heck this thing looks so easy to use and its $4....so lemme get this straight, all you do is place the V point on the top of the blade and go back and forth until its sharp as you desire? Any drawbacks you can think of?

·
Registered
10,410 Posts
None that I have seen and I have used one for a lot of years. I only pull against the blades then go back to the top and do it again till sharp. There are lots of brands of them on eBay.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
None that I have seen and I have used one for a lot of years. I only pull against the blades then go back to the top and do it again till sharp. There are lots of brands of them on eBay.
So you go from heel to tip then pick up the sharpener and go to the heel again and repeat like pictured below? Appreciate the link definitely going to try these out as they're only $4

·
Registered
6,489 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Swear I posted a thread on this yesterday but doesn't look like it posted. So I'm going to be extensively testing magnus black hornet ser razor broadheads this weekend and my plan is to use them all season and sharpen them after practice and hopefully after taking down some deer!

I spoke to the magnus rep and he said to use the KME kit here KME Broadhead Sharpening Kit - Standard and what I'd like clarity on is its my understand I clamp the broadhead (only the main blade for the black hornet since its 4 blade) and make sure its flush on the stone so its even, draw a sharpie on the broadhead so I can see what I'm sharpening, do I start with coarse or medium stone and also do I make a stroke that's only forward or forward and back?

Any other tips or recommendations would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Is the Magnus Black Hornet a single bevel or double ? A single bevel would require a stone or strop to touch up or sharpen. Many products mentioned are for double bevel edges and may ruin a single bevel head. Many of those mentioned work well on doubles.
member: 3877"]
I have the Lansky version, Works great but a lot of work to sharpen broadhead blades.
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is the Magnus Black Hornet a single bevel or double ? A single bevel would require a stone or strop to touch up or sharpen. Many products mentioned are for double bevel edges and may ruin a single bevel head. Many of those mentioned work well on doubles.
member: 3877"]
I have the Lansky version, Works great but a lot of work to sharpen broadhead blades.
[/QUOTE]

I honestly don’t know which one it is, I’m pretty much a newbie to fixed blade heads.http://www.magnusbroadheads.com/black-hornet-100-grain-4-blade-broadhead-1-5-16-x-1-1-4-3-pack/ here’s the link - could this be sharpened with the products listed above or would it need to be stone?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JKW71, it looks like the black hornet is a double bevel so I think it should be pretty easy to sharpen with the tool robertyb linked to. The ser razor version I have seems like it’s going to be a pain to sharpen so I’ll probably just buy some of the regular black hornets.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Swamp Hunter, thanks. I believe Magnus has some single bevel models. Sorry if I confused the issue. I have read good things about their broadheads. These sharpeners should work.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Apologies for the many posts but did get some helpful information that could help out others! Don’t know why I didn’t think of this in the first place but reached out to a Magnus rep and he said the lanksy v sharpener works great for the ser razor (you work it on the blade just like the serrations aren’t there) and to get the serrations it’s super easy - you can tie some string to a board and apply red buffing compound and run it on the serrated parts. This video goes into way more detail. May have to continue shooting the ser razors but damn if they don’t do some damage to my blob target. Might try out the regular black hornet and if they fly the same I’ll shoot those for practice

·
8,868 Posts
Really?...lol Anybody out there want to tie strings to a board and use red buffing compound? Sounds like a time consuming formula for a debacle? There's a hundred broadheads out there you just grab & go with. Probably a dozen that will fly straight up to 500fps. Why monkey jerk around with a string & compound? There's a reason nobody but amateurs' buy serrated knives, they suck, and are unsharpenable. Any reason that a serrated broadhead should be any different? I tried some one time. They killed the same as every other broadhead except you threw away the blades after every deer. Absolutely zero advantage combined with a distinct disadvantage.

You want a pretty good sharpener that will do serrated edges, get yourself a "Lansky BladeMedic" https://lansky.com/index.php/products/blademedic-knife-sharpener/ It has a brutal carbide cutter and a ceramic "pull through," a tapered diamond rod for small serrations, and a shaped ceramic bar for everything else. It can be carried easily too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts