Crossbow Nation banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Everything Jake says is true. Might be worse for taller guys. That being said I don’t have to worry about recoil and getting scope kissed with a crossbow. So I have just accepted the lack of fit and to a certain extent lack of decent trigger pulls.

One exception for me was the ravin 29x. For some reason the length of pull between the grip and the trigger was way too short for me to ignore. A trigger shoe and wrapping the grip helped with that one.

The scopes are really high. I have a long face so maybe I don’t notice that as much. It is kind of an AR height, so it doesn’t feel totally abnormal to me.

Short stocks don’t bother me much. I like shooting clays with a youth shotgun sometimes and am pretty accurate hold up on those short stocks. For cross bows, the shorter stocks are more maneuverable in a blind or a tree stand (with three layers of clothes).

If they did fit better they would shoot better. But they are already as accurate as I need at 40 yards or less for my hunting.

Thise KI’s. Look nice and compact. I want to try one!
It is definitely worse for taller guys for sure!

Before my new Killer Instinct, the most compact crossbow I have is my Barnett Jackal, and it fits pretty dang good! Groups under 2" @ 60 yards was the norm and it has killed a lot of deer!

I wanted an even more compact crossbow, but I never took the length of pull into consideration when I ordered my new Killer Instinct.

My wife, as she puts it, is 5 feet tall on a good day, and her custom rifle has a length of pull of 11" and this particular Killer Instinct crossbow is less than that!

Yes, a shorter stock is more maneuverable, but unfortunately, stocks can be too short. :unsure:

But.... Once I get the pull length lengthened, and the cheek piece built up, I think I will really like this crossbow, even though I have yet to shoot it. In due time...

God Bless,

Jake

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Just a suggestion:
With the problems you have mentioned, I would send the crossbow back with an explanation
of what you have found manufactured wrong. Request your money back and go to different bow
shops and physically check different crossbows for fit, length and weight.
If you have friends in the area, see if you could check theirs out for weight, fit and length.

Wishing you all the best.
Take care.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The short answer to your question is simple. There's much more profit in selling small crossbows because you can use less material to make them lighter and yet charge considerably more for their convenience and maneuverable in a blind.

I'm convinced some folks don't even know what a proper fitting weapon feels like. The first thing some of these same folks do after buying one of the mini-crossbows is to purchase a caldwell sled to hold the thing while shooting.
That should be a strong hint that it might
not fit you.

I personally could care less about manuverably but when I bring the thing up to shoot from my treestand, it needs to feel comfortable. I'd further state that for those who take pride in killing an animal quickly every time with a single arrow and minimal tracking, fit matters.
I agree with you on all counts, and especially so with the last sentence you wrote. That is why I have to get this thing to where it fits me properly!

God Bless,

Jake

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Don't know about the Mission Sub's. But the MXB's for me. I needed a high ring to even see through the scope. So they did see this and address it maybe went to far. I keep the high rings when i went back to the optimizers just because i had them.

When i was using excaliburs i could get by with low rings and even modified a optimizer so i could set the scope lower. So another brand that's not too bad.

Also Optimizer makes one just for the Mission Sub1's that i think sets lower.
I shoot 4 different Barnett crossbow's and they all fit great, are very accurate and have taken a lot of deer over the past couple of years.

I just wanted something a little bit different, but my mistake was not handling one before buying it, so that is strictly my own fault.

God Bless,

Jake

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Just a suggestion:
With the problems you have mentioned, I would send the crossbow back with an explanation
of what you have found manufactured wrong. Request your money back and go to different bow
shops and physically check different crossbows for fit, length and weight.
If you have friends in the area, see if you could check theirs out for weight, fit and length.

Take care.
That's what my wife told me too!

I didn't "need" this one, as I have my Barnett crossbow's, but I guess I was kinda intrigued by the Killer Instinct crossbows at their price point, and I'm stubborn enough to make this one work. If I see that it just flat out won't work, then I have plenty of teenage nephews who would gladly take this one off my hands, and a good birthday present at the very least.

God Bless,

Jake

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
They are getting a little on the short side. Like cross bow submachine guns. I may change my "short stock" take when I get the R18 (if ever). Less than 11' does seem really short that is a sub gun LOP! I have never shot the KI's. They looked similar to a Ravin but it looks like my R29X has a 14" LOP. Now I am really curious about the KI.
It is definitely worse for taller guys for sure!

Before my new Killer Instinct, the most compact crossbow I have is my Barnett Jackal, and it fits pretty dang good! Groups under 2" @ 60 yards was the norm and it has killed a lot of deer!

I wanted an even more compact crossbow, but I never took the length of pull into consideration when I ordered my new Killer Instinct.

My wife, as she puts it, is 5 feet tall on a good day, and her custom rifle has a length of pull of 11" and this particular Killer Instinct crossbow is less than that!

Yes, a shorter stock is more maneuverable, but unfortunately, stocks can be too short. :unsure:

But.... Once I get the pull length lengthened, and the cheek piece built up, I think I will really like this crossbow, even though I have yet to shoot it. In due time...

God Bless,

Jake

Reactions: Jake

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
They are getting a little on the short side. Like cross bow submachine guns. I may change my "short stock" take when I get the R18 (if ever). Less than 11' does seem really short that is a sub gun LOP! I have never shot the KI's. They looked similar to a Ravin but it looks like my R29X has a 14" LOP. Now I am really curious about the KI.
I would love a crossbow with a 14" length of pull!!! That is the same length of pull I have on my rifles and some of my trap guns...

God Bless,

Jake

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
An update on my scope base issue:

After getting in touch with Killer Instinct, they told me not to contact them again until I sent my registration in. Once they receive it, they will then send me a new scope base and mounting screws.

These guys are really serious about crossbow registration!

God Bless,

Jake

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Jake:
With most crossbows, one has a certain number of days after purchase in order
to register the crossbow in order to make a warranty claim valid if required. As
for Killer Instinct like some other companies, they are just an importer. If a cross
bow is registered, then they supposedly have proof that the register is the owner.

As an example if I purchase a crossbow in Canada, even if I were to register the
crossbow, to claim a warranty, the crossbow has to be shipped back to the U.S.A.
as some of the stores here, just sell things and do not carry parts. In some of the
factory boxes, a note will state something like "do not return to the place of purchase,
but send to the manufacture or importer for any warranty". That lets these stores off
the hook where they can basically sell anything and are not held responsible.

If I purchase a lower dollar ($400.00 to $500.00) crossbow and like it well enough,
it is cheaper to purchase another identical crossbow than to pay shipping, down time
and maybe import fees on replacement parts etc. If the crossbow is denied warranty
for what ever reason, I am out the money.
I have had experience where there was still warranty on the crossbow, but when
contacting the manufacture, they stated "no parts available. Suggest buying another
crossbow". This I did but it sure was not one from them.

A string and cable set from the U.S. I am looking $160.00 plus by the time I get that into
Canada. That value goes quite a ways toward an identical crossbow purchased on sale
in Canada. This gives me extra spare parts as well if they are later required.

Mention was make about the pull being too short. As a temporary trial, could the butt plate
be removed, then using longer screws or bolts obtain a comfortable fit. If this works, then
one could install a spacer block or even tubing over the screws or bolts to hold the butt
plate in place.

Take care.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Jake:
With most crossbows, one has a certain number of days after purchase in order
to register the crossbow in order to make a warranty claim valid if required. As
for Killer Instinct like some other companies, they are just an importer. If a cross
bow is registered, then they supposedly have proof that the register is the owner.

As an example if I purchase a crossbow in Canada, even if I were to register the
crossbow, to claim a warranty, the crossbow has to be shipped back to the U.S.A.
as some of the stores here, just sell things and do not carry parts. In some of the
factory boxes, a note will state something like "do not return to the place of purchase,
but send to the manufacture or importer for any warranty". That lets these stores off
the hook where they can basically sell anything and are not held responsible.

If I purchase a lower dollar ($400.00 to $500.00) crossbow and like it well enough,
it is cheaper to purchase another identical crossbow than to pay shipping, down time
and maybe import fees on replacement parts etc. If the crossbow is denied warranty
for what ever reason, I am out the money.
I have had experience where there was still warranty on the crossbow, but when
contacting the manufacture, they stated "no parts available. Suggest buying another
crossbow". This I did but it sure was not one from them.

A string and cable set from the U.S. I am looking $160.00 plus by the time I get that into
Canada. That value goes quite a ways toward an identical crossbow purchased on sale
in Canada. This gives me extra spare parts as well if they are later required.

Mention was make about the pull being too short. As a temporary trial, could the butt plate
be removed, then using longer screws or bolts obtain a comfortable fit. If this works, then
one could install a spacer block or even tubing over the screws or bolts to hold the butt
plate in place.

Take care.
Bunnyrabbit,

point taken and understood!

The stock on this crossbow is in no way adjustable for length of pull, unless something is fabricated and glued, taped or somehow made to attach it to the stock.

It does however have two brass inserts installed in the back of the stock, which is where the crank cocking device is fitted to the stock.

I guess I could just hope for a cold Winter, then by wearing a heavy coat, my length of pull issues would be solved! :whistle:

Some way or another, I will make full use of this crossbow, and the good Lord willing, I will post pictures of deer killed with this Killer Instinct crossbow...

God Bless,

Jake

·
Registered
7,320 Posts
Jake, I have seen picts of the cheek riser he makes and it is sweet. Also limb savers. I have no doubt he can or already has made what your looking for.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Yes, the base is removable.

The problem with adding anything on top of the scope base, is adding more height to an already high base set up.

I hope the manufacturer will take care of the problem as well.

God Bless,

Jake
The reason I asked if the scope base is removable, is maybe new base is all you need?

If it was not, my thought about a one-piece ring (possibly cantilever) set was to make the base you had work if it could not be removed or the bow sent back for warranty replacement. Most one-piece cantilever ring sets are pretty high (they are designed for AR rifles), but you can find lower ring height sets.

I saw later post, once registered you will be sent a new base (y) (y)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
The reason I asked if the scope base is removable, is maybe new base is all you need?

If it was not, my thought about a one-piece ring (possibly cantilever) set was to make the base you had work if it could not be removed or the bow sent back for warranty replacement. Most one-piece cantilever ring sets are pretty high (they are designed for AR rifles), but you can find lower ring height sets.

I saw later post, once registered you will be sent a new base (y) (y)
It looks like the scope base is not going to come off without drilling out the screw heads!

Yes, I do know how to properly remove a stuck or tight screw. Even 100+ inch pounds of pressure would not budge the two screws holding the scope base in place.

Without having to resort to drilling this thing off, do any of you guys know of a "tapered" scope base that can be mounted to the picatinny rail that is already on it?

God Bless,

Jake

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
It looks like the scope base is not going to come off without drilling out the screw heads!

Yes, I do know how to properly remove a stuck or tight screw. Even 100+ inch pounds of pressure would not budge the two screws holding the scope base in place.

Without having to resort to drilling this thing off, do any of you guys know of a "tapered" scope base that can be mounted to the picatinny rail that is already on it?

God Bless,

Jake
I would definitely NOT drill out the screws unless a warranty claim is denied, or they send you another bow and do not want that one returned.
Have you tried a manual impact driver? By manual, I mean one you engage the screw head and put rotational pressure on the impact driver then hit it with a hammer. They are meant to be hammer operated.
For a tapered scope base. Weaver makes one. "AR Flat Top Riser Rail 20MOA" It will add 1/2" of height
I bought one and decided not to use it. $30 shipped if interested Message me.
Font Rectangle Musical instrument accessory Electronic component Electronics accessory

21 - 40 of 45 Posts