Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I new to the Ravin family. and my R10 is more than I ever expected , Just plain love it. My only issue is the clicking noise it makes when cocking it back. I hate to think that after going through all the effort of trying to sneak into the stand on a still quiet morning then I have to break the silence by cocking my R10 with clicking of the bow during this process. I'm a firm believer in safety. I was just wondering if anyone pre cocks there Ravin before getting to the stand. Or is there any other solution's. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yes. I cock at truck and de-cock at truck. I've done that with all my xbows. I just don't put in an arrow in until I'm in the tree and lifted my bow. No arrow during walk in / walk out / or raising or lowering. I guess you could accidentally fire it, but you'd have (1) release safety; (2) pull trigger; and (3) have DFI fail. I'm OK with that....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep Thanks for the reply, I'm pretty sure that I'm going to do the same thing, it would eat me up to cock it in the stand , and start hearing deer blowing. And my pea brain way of thinking is that I probably just scared off the next Texas state record by a clicking sound,:oops:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yep Thanks for the reply, I'm pretty sure that I'm going to do the same thing, it would eat me up to cock it in the stand , and start hearing deer blowing. And my pea brain way of thinking is that I probably just scared off the next Texas state record by a clicking sound,:oops:
Now, if you forget, you know you can cock silently. Just hold the button down while cranking it. Be careful, because if the handle slips off it could release. But, I've done this (I have forgotten) and it works fine too. Just take your time.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Now, if you forget, you know you can cock silently. Just hold the button down while cranking it. Be careful, because if the handle slips off it could release. But, I've done this (I have forgotten) and it works fine too. Just take your time.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I don't carry a Ravin, but I do cock at the truck, and I walk in without an arrow in the early AM when it's too dark to see anyway, but if I'm walking in when it's light enough for an ethical shot, I have an arrow nocked. In the case of the latter, I remove the arrow to get in/out of the tree.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks I didn't realize I could do that. But now that make sense now that I think about it. I may Try that this afternoon to get a feel for it

·
Registered
219 Posts
cock at the truck make sure you have a shot. I have on occasion gone to the stand and forgotten my crank. That isn't as much of a problem, if it is cocked before you go out (... unless you need a second shot). But it really sucks getting out of the stand and walking back to get your crank.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I hunt two locations both of which are fortunately10 mins from home. One by Rhino & one by truck so I cock in my gun/archery room prior to leaving home. Not loaded going to stand nor when pulling up or letting down from stand or in vehicles, however I always walk loaded if enough light to shoot.

Hope you all have the best season ever, be safe!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Morning darkness, I wait till I get to where I'm hunting. Evening darkness, I decock before heading back.

If I'm planning to still-stalk going in or out during Daylight hours, cocked.

If I'm hauling in or out a load or tree stand with backpack and/or equipment, uncocked.

I mostly hunt public lands for the last 35 years, here in Texas. Crossbows ain't always been legal here during that 35 year time. But even when doing a public land gun hunt, I pretty much follow the same rules. And vertical bows are to hard to hold back while going in and out.

Edit: just realized this is for R10 shooters.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
I have been cocking my R20 silently while in my stand mostly. I also uncock mine before climbing down most of the time. I am about to turn 71 and have arthritis is my hands but I can still handle 12 lbs of cocking pressure without loosing control. 😳

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Have shot many deer walking back and forth. Always cock at truck!

·
Registered
219 Posts
I never walk out with a bolt in. Cocked at the truck and the bolt goes in when I am safety belted into the stand.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Slent cocking is fine, but be sure you have good grip on the crank. Guys have ended up with broken lacerated
fingers and ruined scopes because they lost their grip BE CAREFUL. :) I cock that way in the tree stand occasionally.

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
I don't carry a Ravin, but I do cock at the truck, and I walk in without an arrow in the early AM when it's too dark to see anyway,
Last year I cocked my Deathstalker in a field next to my truck. When it got light I happened to look at it hanging on a hook and noticed there were weeds trapped between the cams and the cables.

Now I cock it on the back porch, put it back in the case, and load it into the truck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I myself hunt from a tree stand and pull up and lower my bow, I just can’t imagine
dropping my bow cocked from 25-30’ in the stand let alone uncocked.
So I cock mine and load in stand.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Always cocked at the truck and loaded the second I hit the edge of the woods. I have taken deer headed to my stand. Now, the main reason I started doing this wasn't for hunting as it was I was being hunted one morning. Still just dark enough I couldn't see (did have flashlight) heard what I thought were deer moving around but turned out to be coyotes. Never entered the woods unarmed again. I remove the arrow before getting into the stand but bow is always ready.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts