Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
i am thinking about buying my first ravin for my 12 year old daughter but i do not like the idea of having to use their out of the box bolts and knocks. these pics look like lots of custom for a ravin. would you be willing to help and explain and answer some questions.

·
Registered
10,304 Posts
i am thinking about buying my first ravin for my 12 year old daughter but i do not like the idea of having to use their out of the box bolts and knocks. these pics look like lots of custom for a ravin. would you be willing to help and explain and answer some questions.
You don't really have a lot of choice when it comes to not using their NOCKS. I have bought after market nock inserts and made my own arrows but used the Ravin nocks. They do work quite well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
so their knocks, got ya. what about bolts, im new too understanding but wouldnt a bolt be a bolt considering there are so many with the same dimensions and length?

·
Registered
154 Posts
There is a discussion about bolts vs arrows and bolts are very different than arrows and modern crossbows, especially ravins, fire exclusively arrows. Bolts are solid, without fletching, usually without a head and a point carved into the base material. Made for close range high penetration and very low accuracy at distance. Arrows have fletchings, nocks, use arrow heads, and are hollow. Apparently part of the semantics is about legislation, if we can get people to understand crossbows shoot the same things bows do, perhaps they would be more accepted.

·
Registered
10,304 Posts
Sorry about the high jack VL. Are those nocks from Ravin or are they the ones from Dorge? If from Dorge what do you look for on his website to find them?

·
Vendor
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Sorry about the high jack VL. Are those nocks from Ravin or are they the ones from Dorge? If from Dorge what do you look for on his website to find them?

Not sure where to look on his website, but I sell the U nocks end nocks for $1.20 per nock ( unlit ). If a person gets my builds they automatically get Firenock end nocks ( unlit ) as a standard. To add Lit functions with me installing end-caps is $21 per arrow extra that is afforable for lit functions.. I heard some shops out there that charge over $26-27 a lit nock.

·
Vendor
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so their knocks, got ya. what about bolts, im new too understanding but wouldnt a bolt be a bolt considering there are so many with the same dimensions and length?

Bolts / Arrows, Whatever you want to call them if fine with me.

The Nimitz X I build with Aero Concept system in version 1.0 and 2.0. Aero Concept builds have a much faster recovery rate. I am working on completing a series of high speed videos inbetween the busy season, but I can say and those will see a few things as they will be pointed out during freeze frame that AV3 vanes start rotation within a few " inches " of leaving the bow is just one of the examples.

·
Registered
10,304 Posts
Not sure where to look on his website, but I sell the U nocks end nocks for $1.20 per nock ( unlit ). If a person gets my builds they automatically get Firenock end nocks ( unlit ) as a standard. To add Lit functions with me installing end-caps is $21 per arrow extra that is afforable for lit functions.. I heard some shops out there that charge over $26-27 a lit nock.
So U nocks can be used in Ravin crossbows?

·
Vendor
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So U nocks can be used in Ravin crossbows?

The U nock in general is for .130-135 center serve spec. With Ravin factory strings even if on the day they make the center serve spec to .134 because of whatever process they use it seems to squish down and C nock or factory nock is more ideal. When building arrows for Ravin shooters it is important that I know what threads they have on and if possible they measure them and check. I have sold a ton of builds with U nock to Ravin shooters as well as some Scorpyd DS shooters.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I use Spynal Tapps by Tapp Nation. These are spine matched and weight matched and are world class arrows. I put Ravin Dimension nock inserts in them and Ravin nocks; either regular or lighted nocks. These arrows give dime size shot groups out to 110 yards with my R10 and R20, using my 2.5 x 8 32 mm Sig sauer Scope and BDX Range finder combo. Absolutely lethal at hunting distances (20 to 70 yards) with 125 grain mechanical broad-heads. Jerry Ratliff makes these to your specifications as to fletchings, offset etc.

·
Vendor
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I use Spynal Tapps by Tapp Nation. These are spine matched and weight matched and are world class arrows. I put Ravin Dimension nock inserts in them and Ravin nocks; either regular or lighted nocks. These arrows give dime size shot groups out to 110 yards with my R10 and R20, using my 2.5 x 8 32 mm Sig sauer Scope and BDX Range finder combo. Absolutely lethal at hunting distances (20 to 70 yards) with 125 grain mechanical broad-heads. Jerry Ratliff makes these to your specifications as to fletchings, offset etc.

Sounds awesome.. You should be competing in X bow competitions and taking money away from Mission Shooters..

·
Registered
496 Posts
Sounds awesome.. You should be competing in X bow competitions and taking money away from Mission Shooters..
Thanks but I can't compete with the young guys with my 68 soon to be 69 year old eyes. As an old Spec Ops Sniper, I just love precision and am promoting the use of high quality arrows to go with these world class crossbows. :) I don't compete with anyone but myself and those big Iowa White Tail bucks we have here. :)

·
Vendor
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks but I can't compete with the young guys with my 68 soon to be 69 year old eyes. As an old Spec Ops Sniper, I just love precision and am promoting the use of high quality arrows to go with these world class crossbows. :) I don't compete with anyone but myself and those big Iowa White Tail bucks we have here. :)

You just said you can shoot dime size groups at 110yrds.. You should be awesome in the X bow target comps. I think they only go 60yrds, I could be wrong..

·
Registered
496 Posts
You just said you can shoot dime size groups at 110yrds.. You should be awesome in the X bow target comps. I think they only go 60yrds, I could be wrong..
Hey don't you sell some pretty awesome custom arrows and such? That is what I hear. I really think there are younger guys who can shoot better...besides, I don't have time for anything but deer hunting (and prepping for that) and working...I still work full time as a mental health counselor and cn't travel much.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hey don't you sell some pretty awesome custom arrows and such? That is what I hear. I really think there are younger guys who can shoot better...besides, I don't have time for anything but deer hunting (and prepping for that) and working...I still work full time as a mental health counselor and cn't travel much.
I really enjoy shooting and spend quite a few evenings and weekends shooting at home ( over three thousand arrows down range from a combination of my R10 and R20 since mid March, because I love doing it).

·
Registered
496 Posts
I did say groups but should have said I can hit dimes at 110 yards, but not in consistent groups which is what is needed in a competition. I can consistently do sub MOA groups (guessing) 80% of the time.at 110 yards though with this new Sig BDX system I am using now. Just no interest in competitive Xbow contests however. 80% is not good enough in competitive shooting in my opinion.

·
Vendor
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I did say groups but should have said I can hit dimes at 110 yards, but not in consistent groups which is what is needed in a competition. I can consistently do sub MOA groups (guessing) 80% of the time.at 110 yards though with this new Sig BDX system I am using now. Just no interest in competitive Xbow contests however. 80% is not good enough in competitive shooting in my opinion.

I just got some new targets in that I am trying to find time in-between building to do some shooting. I have a bow in the works that I am trying to use to base a system on for shooting.. I have some new builds coming out if all goes well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts