Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Vendor
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
$1,000 in upgrades would require a deep breath! What does the cable change do for the bow?

The cable system add's to the price a bit, but once the brackets are bought it goes back to reg string and cable prices.

By elminating the standard 4 cables and going down to 2 there is less timing issues. If the cable comes out of time on one side, then it will come out evenly. this is more reasonalbe with consideration that it is likely not to be as drastic in regards to limbs staying at an equal on that side. Also since the cable are longer and space is provided we can now find tine adjust if needed. Both loop ends are also fully served which I am told by GAS that makes for a more stable cable set. The cable length also comes into play as the cables are longer it takes up more shock and also makes the bow more forgiving, with longer cables if the timing comes out it is less catastrophic vs the shorter cables.

If you notice it appears TP has the reverse of what I did on the Ravin
1594954456795.png

·
Vendor
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For a number based on customer feed back from fps between launch and at 100yrds, not on this particalur bow, but and R20 with Standard spec GAS threads, Some arrow builds, Aero Rest and Ti axles we are looking at less than 3-4% efficiency loss in KE from within the first 3ft of launch to 100yrds with lit nocks.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
To each his own BUT...
I have a 4 year old R9 that I would guess has close to 1800 arrows through it. I've shot it a lot because I used it to test center serving designs for several years. It's also my goto target crossbow because I hunt mainly with my R10. I also have a range in my side yard so I don't have to travel to practice.

Not the first bit of titanium anything on it. In fact, the only thing replaced was the original rest which I screwed up early on. The replacement Ravin rest has at least 3/4 of those 1800 shots through it and still looks like new. It has the original cam bearings, cams, limbs and mobile trigger box and strap. Chronoed it a couple of months ago and it shot a Ravin 403 grain arrow at 389 fps which is 1 fps less than it's rated speed.

I've been shooting Archery Shack strings on it for well over a year now and they definitely have been a huge improvement over the OEM Ravin strings. They make the bow easy to tune and since they don't stretch, it will stay in tune. IMO, they are absolutely the best investment you can possibly make in Ravin aftermarket parts.

Took the 60 yard challenge with it a couple of weeks ago and shot this 3 consecutive arrow group. Used a shooting bench but no sled and a Hawke 2-8x36 XB30 compact scope. The wind had also calmed down which made it possible.
Ain't changing a thing and I seriously doubt a $1000 add-on will make it shoot one bit better - although It might look cooler.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
BB1... How long did you jimmy rig before you got the center serving/timing right? 😉
Sod buster,
I reserved well over a hundred Ravin strings for many CBN and AT customers for several years. I was known as the 'nock tie guy' and discovered early on that was the secret to minimize lateral nock travel on Ravin's railless design.
I worked with Archery Shack for months to try to get a good set of Ravin strings made that would be easy to install and make the ATA spec. This was done way before anyone else had even heard of Archery Shack Strings. Now, I can install a set and tune them in probably less than 15 mins.
However, I was installing a new set every other week for months so it got very routine and almost boring.
I don't use nock ties anymore because I came up with a better way working with great folks on CBN like Riflenut and Iowaguy. I have a 3D printed tool that I designed that helps to create the nock notch in a oversized center serving. It's not completely necessary but I also use it to tell me if the bow has evenly matched limbs. If the arrow notch doesn't move laterally over time, I know I have done all I can to minimize lateral nock travel. If it does move, I adjust cam synch accordingly. The thing is once you have removed lateral nock travel from the equation, the bow will simply put the same arrow in the same hole with minimal effort on your part.
I hate to say it but it's like you walk away and say 'well Hell, that was easier than I thought'. Of course, the wind has to be calm and you have to have good optics or all bets are off.

If a Ravin newbie is reluctant to install a set of AS strings, Riflenut has made some great videos to help folks with the installation. I highly recommend them.
BTW, Riflenut also has a video of him shooting 3 consecutive Ravin arrows in the same hole from 80 yards with his R29.
He did use a sled but still that's a real testament to what a Ravin is capable of and also a great testament to Riflenut's talent. He certainly has my full respect.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
One other point:
If anyone wants to offer Ravin improvements, of course, the strings are a great place to start.

But the second improvement that can make the most difference in accuracy is FIT.
Anyone who has been a weapons instructor or who has been in the military will tell you if the weapon doesn't fit, you will never get the most out of it.
Ravins have a very short 12- 3/4" LOP. Crap, many toy guns have a LOP that long. The very first thing I had to do with my R9 and R10 is make them fit me by designing and installing a stock extension.

In fact, that's exactly why I don't own a R29 because it's simply not practical to make a stock extension for it.
I now have even designed a trigger shoe to extend the trigger further to the front.
These are practical modifications that will make a huge improvement in accuracy for those folks who are 6 foot or taller.

·
Vendor
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good grief... an extra 1k I’m sure all the upgrades are nice but I think I would spend my money on better glass and extra arrows. Or even a second bow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This bow was built with several options, about every option as far as the bow and also the arrows. Prices can get crazy and that is why I got options.. Had a guy buy a about 6 doz arrows and drop more than this bow cost and the upgrades included..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts