Crossbow Nation banner
3861 - 3880 of 3925 Posts

·
11,716 Posts
Oh and to answer your other question Duke, it's probably an even split between Hawke and Vortex. You will see a Leopold now and then but they are fairly expensive.

Sorry to highjack your thread moon. I will leave it be :)
2900 posts ... this thread is unhighjackable ...lol It's been around since Eisenhower was President. 😂

·
11,716 Posts
Here is the last two shoots and example of how tight this class is and how hard it is. 2 points more at both tournaments and I'd have about $4,000 in my pocket counting the other payouts. Instead I'm just more broke :LOL: It's tough. I may finish last the rest of the time for all I know. These guys are very good shooters! I can't express that enough. Good group of guys as well.

View attachment 201365
View attachment 201364
The best ... shooter with the pros I work with is a bench rest guy. Basically scores like you in the big meets, top 10, sometimes top 5 maybe. He says the same thing. Takes a 12 month a year commitment and a lot of money to hit the podium.

Reactions: pinshooter

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Ok good LOL

Duke, your friend is spot on. It's something you have to do because you enjoy it. My age will continue to work against me. I know my days are numbered and why I'm trying to do it now while I can. For many of us it will take more than 12 months. This is my first full year in the big boy class and I have my hands full trying to compete. I have two standards...pray hard, work hard. The rest I leave in God's hands. If I've done my best there's no shame in finishing last. Every shooter in this class is good....they wouldn't be there if they weren't. I would tell anyone its fun but at the same time work, be prepared to put your time in.

·
SE VA
12,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,866 ·
Ok good LOL

Duke, your friend is spot on. It's something you have to do because you enjoy it. My age will continue to work against me. I know my days are numbered and why I'm trying to do it now while I can. For many of us it will take more than 12 months. This is my first full year in the big boy class and I have my hands full trying to compete. I have two standards...pray hard, work hard. The rest I leave in God's hands. If I've done my best there's no shame in finishing last. Every shooter in this class is good....they wouldn't be there if they weren't. I would tell anyone its fun but at the same time work, be prepared to put your time in.
Pin, I think it’s great that you are doing something you knew would be a challenge and, win lose or draw, you’ll always be able to relish the experience. Hang in there and have fun👍🏻.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Pin, I think it’s great that you are doing something you knew would be a challenge and, win lose or draw, you’ll always be able to relish the experience. Hang in there and have fun👍🏻.
Thanks Moon! I will let you get back to the Ravin post now lol But I will say this..I'm having fun...at least for now :) First I thank the Lord for giving me health and strength to enjoy His great outdoors! I don't shoot for Mission or any other company but I appreciate all they do for this sport. If it wasn't for the manufactures like them and Black Eagle etc the sport would die a quick death. I hope in the future more companies will realize the sport needs their help if it is to survive long term

·
11,716 Posts
Ok good LOL

There's ALWAYS ... a faster gun in the west...lol I've been around shooters all my life. That benchrest buddy has killed tens of thousands of deer, hogs, goats, even turkey & ducks. I've worked with him for over a decade. I only remember one foulup. Best shooter I ever saw. Until a Navy Seal sniper came on board for a job we were doing for the Department of Defense. He was a man among boys. Between gifted by God with physical abilities far above normal, millions of dollars (and bullets) of training, and experience where the "pressure" is about life & death of people not animals; it was eye opening. As steady a hold as we work to attain, there are guys out there who simply are physically gifted and have a rock solid hold.

I was darting deer with a team of guys on a sterilization project. The drug to put the deer to sleep was a combination of two drugs. It would be mixed, then with a hypodermic needle with about a very fine 3" needle, the correct dose of drugs were transferred down the barrel into the dart. One needle into the barrel of the dart's needle point. The needle of the dart is pretty thick and heavy. This one young shooter from the University of Georgia was taking that fine hypodermic and threading it into the dart absolutely seamlessly at arms length, first time, every time. Everyone else was missing twice, hitting once like trying to thread a needle. The young guy was steady as taxes. Amazing. He not surprisingly, was a good shooter too.

It's hard to think of yourself as even a decent shooter when you see how good some people are.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
There's ALWAYS ... a faster gun in the west...lol I've been around shooters all my life. That benchrest buddy has killed tens of thousands of deer, hogs, goats, even turkey & ducks. I've worked with him for over a decade. I only remember one foulup. Best shooter I ever saw. Until a Navy Seal sniper came on board for a job we were doing for the Department of Defense. He was a man among boys. Between gifted by God with physical abilities far above normal, millions of dollars (and bullets) of training, and experience where the "pressure" is about life & death of people not animals; it was eye opening. As steady a hold as we work to attain, there are guys out there who simply are physically gifted and have a rock solid hold.

I was darting deer with a team of guys on a sterilization project. The drug to put the deer to sleep was a combination of two drugs. It would be mixed, then with a hypodermic needle with about a very fine 3" needle, the correct dose of drugs were transferred down the barrel into the dart. One needle into the barrel of the dart's needle point. The needle of the dart is pretty thick and heavy. This one young shooter from the University of Georgia was taking that fine hypodermic and threading it into the dark absolutely seamlessly at arms length, first time, every time. Everyone else was missing twice, hitting once like trying to thread a needle. The young guy was steady as taxes. Amazing. He not surprisingly, was a good shooter too.

It's hard to think of yourself as even a decent shooter when you see how good some people are.
View attachment 201400 View attachment 201401

Great story! You are very correct! When I'm shooting with some of the guys in our group it's humbling for me :) They are at a much higher level and fun to watch a real shooter :)

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Matt Miller has a great article in the CB magazine this month on shooting freehand. Worth the read. Great guy and a great shooter for sure

·
SE VA
12,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,873 ·
That 500E should be a wild one. No telling what that thing is going to cost. I have to give credit to Ravin for always pushing the envelope.

·
11,716 Posts
That 500E should be a wild one. No telling what that thing is going to cost. I have to give credit to Ravin for always pushing the envelope.
Scorpyd ... pushed the envelope with the Nemesis and look where that gottem...lol They went from the Penthouse to the Outhouse in one season. 😂

·
11,716 Posts
Looks like the cheapest one Wyvern has listed is $3000. It's hard to believe where both technology and prices have gone the last few years
The technology ... isn't really all that earth shattering, but the prices sure are! :oops:

·
SE VA
12,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,877 ·
Yep, and I think some will be falling off the cliff.

I have to give the prize to Ravin for the extensive package of features, now adding electric cocking. Who would have seen that coming?

·
11,716 Posts
Moon doesn’t even have to open his wallet to afford the 3 large. He keeps that in his front pocket
Amen! ... No way you work with German's for 40 years and not save a pile of dough. It's in their DNA. :p

·
Registered
Sonoran Desert Arizona.
617 Posts
Yep, and I think some will be falling off the cliff.

I have to give the prize to Ravin for the extensive package of features, now adding electric cocking. Who would have seen that coming?
The 500 is $3025 and 500e $3325

3861 - 3880 of 3925 Posts