Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello new to the forums, picked up a r29x a few weeks back and have been greatly enjoying target practice and pest management (chipmunks/red squirrels) preparing for deer/turkey/bear this fall. I currently have everything stock out of the box, and have Judo points and small game points for the pests.

I have a layered foam target that recently took the tip and the brass insert out of one of my arrows as I was pulling it out, has anyone else lost inserts and tips from these arrows can someone verify I can replace the insert with another brass insert without needing it to be ravin branded like everything else? And I got the layered foam so I could do broadhead and target point shooting, but it seems like it'd be worth it to get something else since it is damaging the fletchings because it doesnt create enough friction without a broadhead on to stop the arrow short of the fletching. Is spyderweb pretty much the only choice for a durable target or can a regular bag target handle a ravin's force?

Next question, after shooting one of my judo points I noticed there was some denting on the arrow from where the spring arms flexed back as it went into the ground. Is such minor damage unsafe, and can I do anything to repair it/prevent more damage, or is that arrow unusable? Can put a picture up for more detail.

Lastly, are the ravin broadheads better than others or is it just marked up for the name?

Thanks for helping out a new enthusiast.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I can answer a part of your question. I was using a new bag target for my R10. It worked okay for about 100 shots and then started to degrade enough that fletching was being damaged. Just bit the bullet and purchased a new spider web target. Night and day difference. Well worth the investment.

I would avoid the Ravin branded broadheads at this time. Personally; I shoot the Dead Meat ones and love them. Others have had good luck with a few other brands. I have not seen many favorable reviews yet on the Ravin broadheads.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I have shot Rage Hypodermics with great success for three years. I am going to the Sevr because they seem to be a little sturdier and are just as lethal or more so and are as accurate as field tips once tuned properly. Also, there is no possibility of buying counterfeit
tips by accident because Sevr only sells directly from the manufacturer. Once in a while, Rages have blades break and they have to have the collars put on just right because some guys have had them not open properly.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both, glad I stayed away from the broadheads and will be getting a spyderweb here soon. Posting pic of damaged arrow next.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
In the first pic there's some splintering which is what really has me worried, the other points of contact appear to be dents only.

I'm also realizing I could take the insert from this one and put it in the one I lost the insert from if the arrow is unsafe.
My advice to you is when in doubt, discard the arrow. A R29X puts some serious force behind the arrow.

However with that being said, if the arrow scarring is only in front of the rest rollers when the bow is cocked, chances are the arrow will only damage itself when it hits the target as opposed to blowing up on the shooter.
But why risk it anyway??? You could not only hurt yourself but damage a very expensive crossbow.

BTW, be careful to not overheat the carbon shaft when removing a point insert. I recommend you hold the end of the shaft with your left hand while inserting a small soldering iron tip in the old insert. If you feel the arrow getting hot with your left fingers wrapped around it, remove the soldering iron and immediately screw an old point in the insert and try to twist the insert out clockwise with pliers on the old point.

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Or you can cut an inch or so off and put the inserts back in if you are not already close to the riser cocked.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 29x has the point about an inch from the rollers when cocked.

On the arrow where the insert fell out, do I need to check the shaft? I'm not too worried about removing the insert from a damaged arrow but could the heat from pulling the arrow out of the target be enough to cause concern it should I be in the clear with that one?

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Just look and see it has any stress cracks at the end. I also had a inset with a FP on come out of one of my Ravin arrows. I just glued another insert in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts