Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am losing my mind right now trying to figure out why my rage crossbow hypodermics are hitting two and a quarter inches low in each bow I shoot. My friend came over to sighte in his 10-point NXT today and he was hitting two to three inches low. I proceeded to shoot my sniper 370 and wicked ridge m370 with the same hypodermic broadhead and it hit consistently low at about 2.5 inches. How much do the shock collars weigh? The hypodermics are 100 grains and so wasn't my field point why would they be hitting low off all three bows consistently about the same? I can't make sense of this? Does anyone have any advice? I figured the hypodermic would have same point of impact as the field point? Please help thank you.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I am losing my mind right now trying to figure out why my rage crossbow hypodermics are hitting two and a quarter inches low in each bow I shoot. My friend came over to sighte in his 10-point NXT today and he was hitting two to three inches low. I proceeded to shoot my sniper 370 and wicked ridge m370 with the same hypodermic broadhead and it hit consistently low at about 2.5 inches. How much do the shock collars weigh? The hypodermics are 100 grains and so wasn't my field point why would they be hitting low off all three bows consistently about the same? I can't make sense of this? Does anyone have any advice? I figured the hypodermic would have same point of impact as the field point? Please help thank you.
Were you shooting the same broadhead or just the same type of broadhead. I never figure the broadhead would hit the same as a field point. It may but I never count on it. It may but when strings and cables stretch it may not. It may be close but not the same. I always sight in for broadheads not field points. I hunt not target shoot. I'm surprised they all hit low and I assume you are trying different ones.

·
54 Posts
Have you tried turning the nock. Also you can try different vanes longer shorter. If your shooting straight.Try some off set or even a little helical. you just have to hit the right combo.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Did you weigh them on a grain scale! Mine shoot dead nuts vertical with field points out of all 5 of my crossbows. I've shot them at 100 with 2 of my scorpyds. Same vertical poi as field points.

I'm thinking they could be 125's

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Have you ever shot these broad-heads out of these bows before?

This is why one should never assumes that broad-heads are field point accurate irregardless of what manufacturers claim and should never hunt without first checking their bows POA vs POI with their chosen heads.

However, your issue is easy to fix. There's two dials on every scope. Windage and elevation. Shoot and make adjustments until it hits where you are aiming.

Reactions: Yelpy and robertyb

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is what we did.

Shadow NXT - Rage 2" red collar 2.5" low pro elite arrow.
Sniper 370 - Black Eagle (Jerry arrow) spine indexed shot 100 grain hypo, swacker, and 2" original rage with same arrow. All hit 2.5" low perfectly vertical.
New M370 - shot 400 grain TenPoint arrow and shot swacker, hypo, and original rage. I even dental floss blades to ensure not opening. These hit around 2" low.

I figured the swacker would hit a little different and the rage hypos being that they are a little shorter furrle. I felt like last year I shot the sniper 370 with a different bolt and it hit same point of impact at 50 yards. I told my buddy to get the rages because they shot the best but now I feel like I lied to him. By the way I'm shooting at 40 yards.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do people think the red collar weighs 10 grains? I have a speed compensation scope and cited in at 20 yards. My field points are deadly accurate. I was going to put a red collar behind a field point and see if it affects my impact?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Kinda sounds like you answered your own question. You say you were shooting different arrows last year.
Different results with different arrows, a few clicks of the elevation turret and issue solved.

·
Registered
10,842 Posts
Do people think the red collar weighs 10 grains? I have a speed compensation scope and cited in at 20 yards. My field points are deadly accurate. I was going to put a red collar behind a field point and see if it affects my impact?
Ten grains would show basically no effect on your POI at 40/50 yards. Maybe 1/8" or so.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So this week I have learned a tremendous amount about why I don't like broadheads with a collar. Now that I have learned mechanical broadheads can hit low I have been using the actual broadhead to sight in my bow. This means that I have to use many collars to do that. It is kind of a pain in the butt. I think I'm going to air on the side of getting a broadhead that doesn't require a collar. I think the swacker was more of a pleasure to sight in because I could electrical use tape the head from opening.

My buddy got his shadow NXT sighted in also and it took many collars to do that. both my buddy and I came to the conclusion that we would like a broadhead that doesn't require any sort of collears to hold in the blades because it just is a pain in the butt.

Another thing we realized is this speed compensation scope takes a little getting used to when sighting in broadheads. It seems like we had to adjust the speed collar which doesn't make much sense but it seems to work.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I use Grim Respers and they come with a practice head. On my weight scale, they weigh the same as the regular broadheads. I don't use field points anymore, just the practice heads to check zero and/or to shoot with.

·
Registered
10,842 Posts
So this week I have learned a tremendous amount about why I don't like broadheads with a collar. Now that I have learned mechanical broadheads can hit low I have been using the actual broadhead to sight in my bow. This means that I have to use many collars to do that. It is kind of a pain in the butt. I think I'm going to air on the side of getting a broadhead that doesn't require a collar. I think the swacker was more of a pleasure to sight in because I could electrical use tape the head from opening.

My buddy got his shadow NXT sighted in also and it took many collars to do that. both my buddy and I came to the conclusion that we would like a broadhead that doesn't require any sort of collears to hold in the blades because it just is a pain in the butt.

Another thing we realized is this speed compensation scope takes a little getting used to when sighting in broadheads. It seems like we had to adjust the speed collar which doesn't make much sense but it seems to work.
I buy the black collars 100 at a wack off eBay or Amazon for a few bucks. Then I also use a dental band because I am shooting them at 435 fps. I have been using a pack of them for 3 years now I think.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My other buddy came over today and brought the tru glo titanium expandable. I shot this expandable and I was very impressed. Point of impact was very near close to the field point. Needless to say I ordered two packages online. the true glow broadheads don't require any collars or anything I was pleasantly surprised. I shot him out of my wicked ridge m370 I didn't get a chance to shoot him out of the sniper.

My uncle and cousin came over later tonight and we sighted in my cousin's new Barnett whitetail two with a Wyvern take off Ravin scope. We zeroed all the field points and then went back to 30 and 40 yards and the rage hypodermic shot about an inch and a half low to 2 inches. This guy I was talking to today said that when rage first came out they were very impressive and he feels like something changed in the manufacturing process, of course that's just speculation but it is interesting that he told me this.

Either way I am getting excited to try those titanium true glow broadheads. It just seemed pleasant to be able to shoot today Walk down pull it out of the target walk back and shoot it again without having to worry about adjusting the collar or putting a new collar on.

I did email Wyvern and he told me the nap kill zones are also a good broadhead.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts