Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one have a scope that has a built in range finder on their crossbow? I just booked a hunt with Harpole's heartland whitetails in pike county IL and I want all the advantage I can get. Hoping I can find one that also has speed rings to set it up. I will be putting this on my Horton Storm RDX. If not does any one know if the Excalibur range finder holder will fit my crossbow.

Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
Burris is very expensive. One of the more experienced hunters on this site is recommending the Sig Sauer 3.5x10 x42 Sierra bdx. Go to the miscellaneous section and under scopes,cameras,range finders you will see his posts on it. Looks like a great setup.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The truglo scopes are supposed to be range finding. The have a thick section of cross hair that is supposed to frame the body of an adult whitetail at the reticles distance. I do have one of their scopes but haven't tried it since its reticles are tighter than the speed of my bow.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
You might want to consider the Leupold Vendetta...

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
The Burris III with enhanced software "MAY" work. It is supposed to be compatible with subsonic weapons like rimfire rifles and black power rifles so the ballistics may work for a crossbow. A couple of us have sent inquiries into Burris with no news back on crossbow compatibility. It has the ranging laser built into the scope which controls the holdover LED position. It even has a remote ranging button so you can place the button near the trigger. Very cool but lots of $$$ and I'm not sure the ballistic software is right for a 350 fps crossbow.

The Sierrra3 BDX (Ballistic Data Exchange) scope & Kilo BDX rangefinder setup from SIG is the next closest. It has a crossbow application that is simple to use and it sets the ballistics up for your xbow/arrow combo. It requires a ranging step with the Kilo rangefinder that sends distance info. to the scope (by bluetooth) and that moves the reticle LED to the correct holdover position. There are other ways to use the scope as well so read the threads in the scope section to find out more.

There are some nice BDX scope/rangefinder deals out there right now. Optics Planet has the 2.5-8X30 Sierrae3 and the Kilo 1000 "demo" for $440 shipped. There are deals on eBay for less than $350-$400 for the 3.5-10X42 Sierra3 and the Kilo 1400 BDX combo.

2.5-8X30 Sierra3 Scope and Kilo1000 Rangefinder
Optical instrument Rangefinder Monocular Electronics Spotting scope

Either would work well on your Storm. Did I mention that it has usable magnification unlike most crossbow scopes?

Shooting sport Shooting Recreation Machine Air gun

Optical instrument Monocular Spotting scope Cameras & optics

Good luck on your hunt!

·
Registered
Excalibur Vortex 330, Centerpoint Sniper 370, Centerpoint Patriot 425
16,831 Posts
The truglo scopes are supposed to be range finding. The have a thick section of cross hair that is supposed to frame the body of an adult whitetail at the reticles distance. I do have one of their scopes but haven't tried it since its reticles are tighter than the speed of my bow.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Redfield Revenge, made for crossbows, have the same kind of recticles described here. I have the scope but havent tried the rangefinder. Lifetime warranty to original owner too.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I think you need to go to the Kilo 1600 to get the OLED Readout. I just purchased the BDX 2.5-8X with the 1600. Not gonna install it though until after ATA just in case Burris, Garmin or another Scope manufacturer comes with a direct readout system for a crossbow. Want to also make certain it’s compact enough like the Sig Sauer is.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Redfield Revenge, made for crossbows, have the same kind of recticles described here. I have the scope but havent tried the rangefinder. Lifetime warranty to original owner too.
Keep in mind that the engineering behind the Redfield framing is done with a particular trajectory in mind and they address that to some degree in their various scope choices. The framing still has a speed factor/trajectory component so it's accuracy going to be different on 290 fps xbow and a 440 fps xbow. Not sure the 3 step process that includes a hand movement to turn the magnification up just prior to the shot is ideal for close in hunting. On a 200-400 yard rifle shot it's a different ball game.

The TruGlow is typical BDC so the reticle yardages will vary with different xbow speeds. In the TruGlow line the Opti-Speed is their top of the line crossbow scope and it's speed compensating.

I'm still a fan of the all-in-one, affordable, smallish auto-ranging optic. Let's see what surfaces at ATA on Jan. the 9th. ;)

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
I think you need to go to the Kilo 1600 to get the OLED Readout. I just purchased the BDX 2.5-8X with the 1600. Not gonna install it though until after ATA just in case Burris, Garmin or another Scope manufacturer comes with a direct readout system for a crossbow. Want to also make certain it’s compact enough like the Sig Sauer is.
You are correct. OLED is available in the 1600, 1800, 2200, 2400 and 3000 series Kilos in the BDX lineup.

Probably a safe step in seeing what shows up at ATA too.... ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.