Crossbow Nation banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

· Registered
792 Posts
That's another question I had, is buying a used one something I should consider? I figured if they don't really wear out, then getting a used Rfinder something I should consider?
Hell! I'm 75 years old and have two rangefinders that are working well,and I have yet to range the first deer before I have killed it. I SHOULD BUY ONE OF THOSE THAT MCQUADE POSTED!

· Registered
792 Posts
If you're a decent moral person you grad one that McQuade post and leave the other for the OP. If you're a little less decent and moral you grab them both, check them both out and after choosing the best one offer the other to the OP. If you're basically a scoundrel you snatch up both of them and don't say a word to anyone, one goes in the range box for the rifles and one goes with the crossbow hunting gear in the backpack.

· Registered
1,104 Posts
That's another question I had, is buying a used one something I should consider? I figured if they don't really wear out, then getting a used Rfinder something I should consider?
I had one "wear out" sort of... My old Halo I mentioned earlier. Had it for probably going on 10 years, I don't really remember. It wasn't an expensive one, but it also wasn't very cheap. I paid $130 for it back around 2013/2014. I remember that part since I wrote the purchase price and date on the side of it in sharpie but the date eventually smudged off from use.

Anyway... It had it's limitations, especially in low-light, but it was great otherwise. But just this season it started losing accuracy. It only read in one yard increments, but it was always repeatable. If I ranged a target bag at 50yds it read 50 each time I ranged it. But a couple months ago, ranging that same target bag the readings would come out 48, 51, 49, 51, etc. with each click. Just enough to be annoying at close ranges, but could certainly pose a problem at longer ranges if it began to be 5yds off or more. This is when I decided to replace it with the vortex.

Don't know what caused the issue. Battery was replaced and lens/sensors were kept clean. Don't recall it getting dropped or knocked. My guess would be that one of the trimmer pots or similar started to go bad, essentially causing it to start to lose calibration and offset capability. Basically circuit board components that would not be easy to fix/replace.

So that's just my story of how they can potentially "wear out". Could that happen to a $1200 Leica?? I dunno. Maybe... :ROFLMAO:

3,957 Posts
I had an entry level Vortex rangefinder (?1000). It was stolen. I was very pleased with it. But, wanting a good monocular/rangefinder, I decided to get a Vortex 4000. With Vortex’s military program, I got 50% off advertised retail, now 40%, so that was some incentive to go Vortex again. Lifetime warranty, sees thru fog, rain, snow, plexiglass windows, camo mesh in Rhino blinds, excellent glass. Very pleased with the Ranging 4000.

If I had it to do again, I’d somehow try to experience a Leica as I suspect its a step up even though the Vortex 4000 seems hard to beat.
You and I both know that the top end Viper line of optics are contenders to any other optical device. The warranty is slightly better with the Vortex because it is an over the counter warranty. But the price that you got is outstanding for what you ended up with. We also know that the stretch between the Razor line and the European manufacturers is slim. Leica lenses will give you better contrast to help you detect objects better but it's not going to be huge. Leica is also a little smaller dimensionally but for me personally, size does matter. The grass on the Leica side is only slightly greener than the Viper side.

15,015 Posts
Font Electric blue Event Brand Graphics
Font Rectangle Logo Photo caption Brand

TenPoint Titan M1, TenPoint Eclipse
910 Posts
Whichever brand you end up with make sure you use the focus eye piece to make the object clear according to your eye sight. I had a friend who forgot that important part until I reminded him when he had issues with his.

· Registered
1,444 Posts
This thread sucks! I've been happy for years w/a Chuck Adam's edition bushnell. Now I'm not! All this talk about the better quality units is going to cost me money. I hope you guys are happy cuz my wife probably isn't going to be.

15,015 Posts
This thread sucks! I've been happy for years w/a Chuck Adam's edition bushnell. Not I'm not! All this talk about the better quality units is going to cost me money. I hope you guys are happy cuz my wife probably isn't going to be.
Don't ... tell her. :rolleyes: Problem avoided! ;) What she doesn't know won't hurt her. Or you...lol
Wedding dress Flash photography Bridal clothing Gown Happy

· Premium Member
1,608 Posts
This thread sucks! I've been happy for years w/a Chuck Adam's edition bushnell. Not I'm not! All this talk about the better quality units is going to cost me money. I hope you guys are happy cuz my wife probably isn't going to be.
It only gets expensive when you trade in the wife for other "better quality units".

· Registered
2,916 Posts
This thread sucks! I've been happy for years w/a Chuck Adam's edition bushnell. Now I'm not! All this talk about the better quality units is going to cost me money. I hope you guys are happy cuz my wife probably isn't going to be.
Just tell her that when you look at her through it, it makes her look ten tears younger, thirty pounds lighter and her beauty is overwhelming. ;)
If that doesn't work, good luck on marketplace. :(

41 - 54 of 54 Posts