Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You might have a time believing this, but it's fact. I'm very new to getting into a crossbow, as I'm still waiting for my crossbow to get delivered. But I'm teaching myself the do's and don'ts, and ordering everything I want to equip my crossbow and make life enjoyable. SO I did spend probably a day reviewing rangefinders in a comfortable price category of $300 and ordered the Sig Sauer Buckmaster 1500 laser 6x22 Red on Amazon Canada for $297 (after taxes) But the Rangefinder that really caught my eye was the Leupold RX-1400i TBR/W laser rangefinder with the red display on Amazon Canada for $495 (with taxes.) So last night I happened to Google around snooping at sporting good stores in Canada and came across that Leupold 1400 in an Ontario store for $305 plus tax ($327 total, with free freight.) I'm thrilled, canceled my Amazon Buckmaster order and ordered the Leupold. At least now I don't need to sew up a case to store the sig Sauer when not in use, and the hard covers all seem to be to small for the size of that Buckmaster plus another $35. Quite a price difference between Amazon and Sail (Ontario independent sporting good store.) SO I paid $327 for Leupold, or $297 for Buckmaster, $30 dollars more. And if I could have found a hard case for the Buckmaster they'd been the same money at the end of the day. Both very good rangefinders from reviews and videos, BUT I don't think equal...

·
Registered
621 Posts
You will enjoy the Leupold a bunch! I own several of the 1600i TBR w/DNA and still own 1 1200i TBR w/DNA and all are very nice indeed. And, you got it for a very good price in Canada! When you get your crossbow post a few pics of everything and show it off.
Fred

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
A friend of mine just bought a Vortex Diamondback HD from Optics Planet for $269. VIP lifetime warranty. 7x24mm

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have never owned a rangfinder that cost more then 125 bucks. And have never been given the wrong yardage by the ones I own/owned.

I cant see spending 250 plus for features that I will never use inside of 60 yards.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have never owned a rangfinder that cost more then 125 bucks. And have never been given the wrong yardage by the ones I own/owned.

I cant see spending 250 plus for features that I will never use inside of 60 yards.
I feel the same way. I wouldn't pay big money for a rangefinder, but I have an affordable one that does all I want it to do.

I bought a Nikon Aculon rangefinder (camo model) a number of years ago for about $130 ($179 regular price) on sale, & I used my Cabela's points to buy it. It has 6X magnification & ranges from 6 - 600 yards. It's been flawless. I haven't even replaced the battery. If I lost it, I would get another one on sale for about the same price or less. I wouldn't even shoot a rifle beyond 200 yards. So paying extra for a longer range model would seem silly to me. I'm sure some models have better optics than others, but I could care less. I use it in place of binoculars when turkey hunting, too. I'm not picky when birds are stubborn. Jakes & bearded hens are legal in my state.

·
4,180 Posts
What i stumbled on was rangefinders failing on even the lights fog even dew on a spiders web shot one down one day.
My first experience i was hunting along a creek where i have killed many nice bucks. This nice buck comes out and the rangefinder just failed. I thought it had broke but latter in the morning it worked fine. Cost me a nice Buck.

2nd time a nice buck came in and the RF said like 4 yards. And the buck was 40 some yards. Cost me my 2nd nice buck because of fog i couldn't even see. As the morning drug on it started ranging farther and farther as the super light fog lifted in that hollow i was in. Not even close to any water.

3rd time i was shooting off my porch. Just testing everything before season. And my RF wouldn't range past 22 yds out my bow range that's just a 10' wide path cut in the woods. I went ahead and shot, while walking out to get my arrow at 22 yds i walked into a spiders web that had some dew on it.

Ok the brick that hit me in the head was big enough lol. And my search for a RF started. My first big jump in price was a Leupold 1200i TBR DNA. That i was happy with until it let me down you guessed it fog. But i was testing it then every chance i got. I then bought a Leica 1000R standing on my front porch one foggy morning. The Leupold ranged 20 some yards another RF showed 00 no reading. The Leica 1000R read the tree line across the road/field at over 500 yds. That has been my hunting RF ever since.

I agree many many days hunting passed and many deer fell to my old finders. But once i found the flaw hard headed as i was. I couldn't live/hunt with knowing it.

I still have and use the Leupold its better than most :).

·
Registered
459 Posts
"A man who owns one clock always knows what time it is, & the man who owns two clocks never really knows for sure." I put that statement in quotes, because I have a friend who says that all the time. He may have stolen it from someone, however. If I use the same rangefinder to practice & hunt with, it really doesn't matter how accurate it is.

I can't say that I've ever placed a rangefinder on an animal that I actually shot. I use them when clearing shooting lanes, & I may use a rangefinder to mark a mental distance in my brain while on the stand. I am not a full blown crossbow hunter, however. I have a pretty good sense of a good or bad shot when pulled back on my compound bow. Once I am pulled back & in kill mode, a rangefinder is pretty useless at that point.

·
4,180 Posts
Just goes to show we all hunt and do things differently. There is no one size fits all :).

In the past shoot IDK 25 years unless the Buck was very close i have ranged every single deer i have shot 90% of them was range dial the optimizer and adjust the power of the scope while using a crossbow.

My rangefinder is a huge and very important part of my bowhunting. But i hunt where its needed open fields or big woods. Like this set up.
Plant Green Tree Deer Natural landscape

These Bucks were 40 ish yards. Even the edge of the weedy grew up field was at a angle. So the range differed a great deal. On November the 5th after 22 days of hunting this buck. I needed to know he was at 52 yds.

Head Glasses Deer hunting Hunting Eye

But if what your using works for you then it works :).

Edit notice the rangefinder in my shirt pocket. Thats where he lives while hunting.

·
13,375 Posts
What i stumbled on was rangefinders failing on even the lights fog even dew on a spiders web shot one down one day.
My first experience i was hunting along a creek where i have killed many nice bucks. This nice buck comes out and the rangefinder just failed. I thought it had broke but latter in the morning it worked fine. Cost me a nice Buck.

2nd time a nice buck came in and the RF said like 4 yards. And the buck was 40 some yards. Cost me my 2nd nice buck because of fog i couldn't even see. As the morning drug on it started ranging farther and farther as the super light fog lifted in that hollow i was in. Not even close to any water.

3rd time i was shooting off my porch. Just testing everything before season. And my RF wouldn't range past 22 yds out my bow range that's just a 10' wide path cut in the woods. I went ahead and shot, while walking out to get my arrow at 22 yds i walked into a spiders web that had some dew on it.

Ok the brick that hit me in the head was big enough lol. And my search for a RF started. My first big jump in price was a Leupold 1200i TBR DNA. That i was happy with until it let me down you guessed it fog. But i was testing it then every chance i got. I then bought a Leica 1000R standing on my front porch one foggy morning. The Leupold ranged 20 some yards another RF showed 00 no reading. The Leica 1000R read the tree line across the road/field at over 500 yds. That has been my hunting RF ever since.

I agree many many days hunting passed and many deer fell to my old finders. But once i found the flaw hard headed as i was. I couldn't live/hunt with knowing it.

I still have and use the Leupold its better than most :).
I've owned a Leica ... for decades. Worked for me in ground fog, rain, snow, in steaming jungles, and in below zero temperatures...day or night. I think it's an 800 yard model and it's ranged deer at 986 yards across canyons out on a Pacific Island. There may be rangefinders out there that perform as well, but I doubt there's any that perform better.

On another front, I read once that the longer range rangefinders have more power to accurately cut through weather at closer range. For example, ranging something at 90 yards in fog or rain a 1200 yard model might give you a solid reading where a 600 yard model couldn't. The advantage not being so much in being able to read to 1200 yards,(that nobody really ever needs) but being able to read under harsher conditions.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

If you live in the States that amount would be a pretty good rangefinder with American money a few years back. But in Canada with the price jump we all seen in the last couple years, $300 Canadian money on a rangefinder today only sounds expensive, and hardly buys anything anymore.

·
Registered
459 Posts

I test stuff when i can. That works when i'm not going to be there myself LOL. Sorry about the shaky video. But it came a toad choker and i grabbed Leica and my Iphone and yep it worked.
That's a really nice buck that you shared. Congrats! I've been an avid bowhunter since graduating from colllege in 1986, but I haven't shot a deer with a crossbow. In defense of the crossbow, I only took one out one afternoon. It felt odd, & I went back to my compound the next day. The day will come where I will be using my crossbow, & I can see myself using a rangefinder more then. Sitting a blind with a cocked crossbow is a bit different than hanging 20'+ up the side of a tree with a compound bow.

A vertical bow is a different beast when it comes to using a rangefinder in my mind. In most cases, I am pulled back long before the deer is in range. When the shot will actually take place is a bit of a guess. I use a rangefinder, but I am marking the distance of trees or runways in my mind long before anything arrives. I can see the value of using a rangefinder with a crossbow for those slightly longer shots for sure.

I hunted 25+ years without a rangefinder, but it's nice having one these past 10 years or so. I won't argue that!

·
Registered
298 Posts
If you live in the States that amount would be a pretty good rangefinder with American money a few years back. But in Canada with the price jump we all seen in the last couple years, $300 Canadian money on a rangefinder today only sounds expensive, and hardly buys anything anymore.
I payed 75 bucks with free shipping for a tidwe rangefinder last September.

And like 110 at my local sporting goods store for a new rangfinder for my dads xmas present.

I mean it's ok too want too have all these fancy features and a name brand to show off.

But let's be realistic here. It doesnt take a 300 dollar rangfinder too accurately range a deer and I'm sure you could find cheaper options even in Canada then 300 bucks.

Not hating on you or what you spend your money on and I truly wise its everything you wanted. Just saying it doesnt take all that.

·
4,180 Posts
That's a really nice buck that you shared. Congrats! I've been an avid bowhunter since graduating from colllege in 1986, but I haven't shot a deer with a crossbow. In defense of the crossbow, I only took one out one afternoon. It felt odd, & I went back to my compound the next day. The day will come where I will be using my crossbow, & I can see myself using a rangefinder more then. Sitting a blind with a cocked crossbow is a bit different than hanging 20'+ up the side of a tree with a compound bow.

A vertical bow is a different beast when it comes to using a rangefinder in my mind. In most cases, I am pulled back long before the deer is in range. When the shot will actually take place is a bit of a guess. I use a rangefinder, but I am marking the distance of trees or runways in my mind long before anything arrives. I can see the value of using a rangefinder with a crossbow for those slightly longer shots for sure.

I hunted 25+ years without a rangefinder, but it's nice having one these past 10 years or so. I won't argue that!
I hunted a long time before they was any Rangefinders. And hung in trees when all we had was 2x4's and plywood. When i didn't stand on a limb :). But time keeps rolling and we gray up lol. You find yourself for one reason or another changing or setting on your porch. Yes my crossbow is a long ways from the trad bows i used to make. But i'm still killing Bucks more of a sniper now. Still having a blast.

·
Registered
Excalibur Equinox, Excalibur Micro Mag 340
106 Posts
Past 15 years, I use the Leica Geovid binos w/LRF built in. Illuminated display can be seen in all lighting conditions. I also have a small Nikon LRF but rarely use it due to the black display. Very difficult to read at twilight when the giants come out. I use rangefinders year round, between 100-800yds groundhog hunting all spring through fall & throughout archery & rifle seasons.

·
13,375 Posts
Past 15 years, I use the Leica Geovid binos w/LRF built in. Illuminated display can be seen in all lighting conditions. I also have a small Nikon LRF but rarely use it due to the black display. Very difficult to read at twilight when the giants come out. I use rangefinders year round, between 100-800yds groundhog hunting all spring through fall & throughout archery & rifle seasons.
My first ... rangefinder was a Bushnell that was big as a small SUV. It had a black display that was useless in darker conditions. Bought the old cigarette box Leica Rangemaster that had the illuminated readout when they came out a couple years later. Flawless performance, but it was a bit of a PITA getting in & out of my pockets. Eventually treated myself via Cabelas Bucks to the newer "ergonomic" Leica CRF 800 and been using that ever since. Gave the box Leica to my golf fanatic brother. I think he's still using it going on two decades later.

·
4,180 Posts
1st was a Bushnell like Duke had i'm sure :). Worthless in low light and wouldn't range anything black.
2nd was a Nikon smaller but black read out. Again worthless under low light, sometimes i could range the deer then skyline the read out.
3 and 4 was a Opti logic Micro 1 and a 2. Great for vertical bow hunting zero magnification and didn't have to put it to your eye just close. Very compact but this is where i started learning about fog. And why i ended up with a 1 and 2.
5 A crossbow mounted Leupold vendetta. Great idea super nice hunting a field very accurate but fog not so much.
6 Leupold i1200 nice rangefinder small very accurate. Much better in the fog but still lacking and the red readout was to bright in low light imo.
7 Leica 1000R best to date just flat out whoops fog if you can see it you can range it. Unless its way off. Auto light adjustable brightness red read out that might be a touch just a touch to bright. But no well craps so far. I would buy again without hesitation.

·
Registered
459 Posts
1st was a Bushnell like Duke had i'm sure :). Worthless in low light and wouldn't range anything black.
2nd was a Nikon smaller but black read out. Again worthless under low light, sometimes i could range the deer then skyline the read out.
3 and 4 was a Opti logic Micro 1 and a 2. Great for vertical bow hunting zero magnification and didn't have to put it to your eye just close. Very compact but this is where i started learning about fog. And why i ended up with a 1 and 2.
5 A crossbow mounted Leupold vendetta. Great idea super nice hunting a field very accurate but fog not so much.
6 Leupold i1200 nice rangefinder small very accurate. Much better in the fog but still lacking and the red readout was to bright in low light imo.
7 Leica 1000R best to date just flat out whoops fog if you can see it you can range it. Unless its way off. Auto light adjustable brightness red read out that might be a touch just a touch to bright. But no well craps so far. I would buy again without hesitation.
Is it this one or an older model of the same thing?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts