Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am In the market for a good rangefinder. What is your choice, best for the money.would like to hear the pros and cons.
Let me have your opinions especially first hand experience.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Nikon Prostaff Laser 440 Rangefinder

This is the one I have Specialized and without a doubt one of my better investments. At only $189 you cannot beat it, trust me. I have had it for years and it has never malfunctioned. It is small enough to fit in one hand and it hangs around your neck when not in use.

Some of the features:

Incredible yard accuracy
Original Digital Processor
8 power Multicoated optics
Ranges distances from 11- 440 yards
Focusing Diopter
Scanning Capability
Water Resistant
Lightweight 7oz
Battery Included

http://www.outdoorsexperience.com/nikon440.html

Attachments

·
190 Posts
Spec,

It depends on the range you want to range for? If you will use it only for a crossbow, then any Bushnell, Nikon etc will work. If you plan on using it for ranging for rifles out to 1k then you need to look at the Leica or the one made my Swarovski.

·
11,442 Posts
I sold my Nikon

Maybe it was just me and my old eyes but looking up into the top of the thing to see the yardage was a pain. I bought a Leica 900 and this thing rocks:) The range is displayed in the center of the lens and is illuminated in red. I like it so well, I don't even carry my binoculars with me anymore as it serves thar purpose also for bowhunting. I don't leave the cabin without it.

Attachments

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
I've used the same old Bushnell since I started Xbow hunting. For the money, they have worked just fine for me. This is also attesting to the abuse it has taken and keeps on working. I hate to buy newer ones when these still work just fine.

·
Banned
402 Posts
rangefinders

has anyone tried the bushnell set up or have one of these brackets would love to find just the bracket if you have this bracket and want to sell it let me know or trade..Thanks ed shoot me a p.m. if you do please..

Attachments

·
104 Posts
Bayou Excalibur said:
Nikon Prostaff Laser 440 Rangefinder

This is the one I have Specialized and without a doubt one of my better investments. At only $189 you cannot beat it, trust me. I have had it for years and it has never malfunctioned. It is small enough to fit in one hand and it hangs around your neck when not in use.

Some of the features:

Incredible yard accuracy
Original Digital Processor
8 power Multicoated optics
Ranges distances from 11- 440 yards
Focusing Diopter
Scanning Capability
Water Resistant
Lightweight 7oz
Battery Included

http://www.outdoorsexperience.com/nikon440.html
I have the same and i like it. Have a good relation cost/benefit

·
224 Posts
Moonkryket said:
Maybe it was just me and my old eyes but looking up into the top of the thing to see the yardage was a pain. I bought a Leica 900 and this thing rocks:) The range is displayed in the center of the lens and is illuminated in red. I like it so well, I don't even carry my binoculars with me anymore as it serves thar purpose also for bowhunting. I don't leave the cabin without it.
It is admirable that you invest in the best of everything ;)

·
11,442 Posts
It could be that I have

a few screws loose too:D We only go around one time my friend. One of my favorite crossbows is the least expensive but I have yet to find that situation in cheap or mediocre optics. I ask folks, what's more important in hunting and shooting sports than what we see or...................don't see?;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I recently bought a Leupold rangefinder with True Ballistic Range. The price was the same as the Bushnell but the Leupold was one-third lighter and had more standard magnification 6x vs. 5x. The operation is a bit more of a challenge to learn because of the numerous settings. It has three settings for different speeds of arrows and seven settings for speeds and weights of bullets and calibers.

·
Banned
402 Posts
Yardage Pro 4-12x 42 bushnell

Yardage Pro 4-12x 42 by bushnell,
my new scope/laser rangefinder arrived today, man it is cool press a button and it tells me the range inside the scope, then I can use the correct milldot to aim at my target at different distances, It is very clear and powerful scope , it is made for High power rifle but it works good on a crossbow, I really like it, i will be experimenting with the blank turrent to set my auto reticle as it was designed for,

Attachments

·
11,442 Posts
and weighs about 3 lbs!!!!

:ack2: You should have gotten the Zeiss Diarange. It's only $2,900.00.

·
41 Posts
I looked at the nikon 440 but felt the 8x mag. was too much for close range shooting. I was going to go with the nikon 600 which was 6x but decided on the nikon 500-g(6x) which is the unit that people use for golfing. The 500-g is "good" to 500 meters and had the same specs as the nikon 600 (600 yards). Only difference was the 500-g was available only in silver and cost me $160.00 NIB off e-bay whereas the nikon 600 was available in black/camo and cost app. 225.00. Buy what you can afford and what your situation dictates.

·
211 Posts
I just picked up a yardage pro sport 450 not that long ago, it has its good points and its bad but for the most part it works just as good as anything else I've used and I picked it up off ebay in perfect condition from a guy who only used it a few times for $80 with the case

·
Banned
402 Posts
Moonkryket.. 24 ounces..

Bushnells all-in-one guide to hitting everything. They combined a premium 4–12x 42mm riflescope, laser rangefinder and bullet-drop compensator, so you can see your target with stunning clarity and nail it with lethal precision. Fully multi-coated optics deliver optimum brightness and color fidelity. The laser rangefinder is activated with a wireless trigger pad, or push button on side of scope.. Bullet-drop turrets eliminate hold-over guesswork. a new book on accuracy, scan feature one second reading
and it weighs only 24 ounces,

besides the zeiss has no Bullet-drop turrets to eliminate hold-over guesswork... zeiss is 995 g.? no rangefinder scan only dispalys distance 3 seconds, takes 1,75 seconds to dispaly almost twice as long to get a reading? slow..

yours zeiss is a rangefinder and scope but no bullit drop turrents....the bushnell is more for less..and cristal clear..why pay 2900 for that? to support your zeiss retirement check,lol

·
11,442 Posts
So you know nothing about the Zeiss Rapid Z???

Just happens to be the most advanced ranging reticle in existance. Bullet drop turrets are old technology compared to the Rapid Z technology.

All optics, even the cheapest have so called "fully multi-coated optics." Means nothing. What does mean something is the quality of the coatings and the substances used for the coatings and they all "ain't" the same.

I regularly nail deer with "lethal precision" with simple red dot reflex sights that fit in the palm of my hand and weigh 3.5 ounces with NO magnification.

JMO but I think putting a one and one half pound scope with magnification on a 40 yard crossbow is nuts. On a 22-250 varmint rifle, YES:D I use a 4-14 power Conquest Rapid Z that is ballistically programmed out to 800 yards so I never have to touch a turret to shoot out to that distance. Can't see using that for a short range crossbow :)

So I guess you won't be using any foreign made crossbows in the future?:ack2:

BTW, I forgotten more about optics than you obviously know:) Maybe you CAN enlighten me on crossbows though.

·
31 Posts
I have Bushnell's Yardage pro and it works well.

It is my opinion however that the laser rangefinder was a waste of money for me. I thought I "needed" one, but now rarely ever take it with me.

I have always been pretty good at yardage estimation and typically pace off a known yardage when placing a stand.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts