Crossbow Nation banner

121 - 140 of 214 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
That will be an interesting thing to find out. With that severe string angle and extreme limb poundage, center serving issues and stretch will be suspect.
I wonder why all Manufacturers don't use the "kevlar" infused string that I've read about here on CBN?

·
9,766 Posts
Let's say you keep to normal hunting distances, or heaven forbid a deer stop at 20yards and you hit a shoulder bone or even a rib with a mechanical broadhead at 500fps. Wont it sheer the blades off? I mean 222ke!

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk
I'm breaking ... a lot of blades this year on Spitfires and FOC's for some reason; not from hitting rocks either. Hard angles, cutting ribs and hitting far leg bones I suspect. And that's at 167ke. TruGlo T2, 4 blade mechanical blades don't break. :)

Reactions: JH HUNTER

·
Registered
373 Posts
Yep. I know many, many people that got into crossbow hunting when Ravin came onto the scene.
I actually hunted with them since legal but the difference is when i had the Excaliber I shot it to make sure it was on and then not again until a deer was in front of me. With my R10 I like trying shooting long range. My nephew and i go sling some bolts 50 yards plus for fun . So i hunted all along , I now shoot my Ravin just for fun also

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I'm breaking ... a lot of blades this year on Spitfires and FOC's for some reason; not from hitting rocks either. Hard angles, cutting ribs and hitting far leg bones I suspect. And that's at 167ke. TruGlo T2, 4 blade mechanical blades don't break. :)
I tried the spitfires back when I had the excal equinox and the blades didn't hold up shooting them into a target back than. I'm not surprised they are breaking on you.

·
9,766 Posts
I tried the spitfires back when I had the excal equinox and the blades didn't hold up shooting them into a target back than. I'm not surprised they are breaking on you.
Yeah ... I never pulled a Spitfire out of the dirt thinking: "I could just wipe it off and reuse this if I wanted."

·
Registered
487 Posts
using duel mixture twin ball type screws is an absolute Genius idea (actually old technology)
Ever hear of an easy press. Similar idea here.
For manual cranking and motorized cranking as well.

Only Ravin could pull this off. This is how you just let go of the handle now any time with no button.
Ever since getting more into crossbows, I've always wondered why nobody used a worm gear or screw type drive for cocking. Seemed like a no brainer to me. Well now we finally have it.

·
9,766 Posts
I consider the bolt and broadhead expendable if i pull the trigger on anything but a target
True ... once you get up into the high speeds unseen broadhead "damage" is far more critical. Tiny bends in blades, shank or the body cause major changes in flight dynamics that multiply over distance. Best to replace blades and spin test every used broadhead.

Reactions: jarhed

·
Registered
984 Posts
Wow! Love the thinking going on....Ravin design teams have no box.
But I don't think I have ever spent that much on something I couldn't drive or couldn't sleep in.

Reactions: 0002s

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Used a spitfire and same arrow on 2 deer. Buried in a tree on second. Arrow shattered and what was left of spitfire still in tree. Bought truglo T4 for this year.

·
1,942 Posts
Some really good points brought up here. How are they going to keep mechanicals as well as strings and cables together is my biggest question. As per usual, manufacturers are ahead of material constraints and will worry about them when they pop up. I guessing at 500 ft/sec fixed broadheads will be problematic.
One thing that struck a cord in me is my survival instincts will tell me not to shoot the R18. I already creeps me out to shoot any compound bow because of the fact that the cams are being pulled back and want to come back towards the shooter. In the R18's case, they are pointed towards the shooters face. What will happen if there is a catastrophic limb failure? I think the movement of the limbs is going to be very distracting on the shot.
Ravin is definitely doing some good thinking outside of the box, I just hope they've done more thinking than they have in the past.

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts

·
1,942 Posts
Reactions: Iron Duke

·
1,942 Posts
Not to mention..If you are guy that might actually consider taking this R18 bow into the woods your likely going to need your Starr wars figurines to play with as well.....................................o_O
🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: Oncebitten

·
9,766 Posts
Some really good points brought up here. How are they going to keep mechanicals as well as strings and cables together is my biggest question. As per usual, manufacturers are ahead of material constraints and will worry about them when they pop up. I guessing at 500 ft/sec fixed broadheads will be problematic.
One thing that struck a cord in me is my survival instincts will tell me not to shoot the R18. I already creeps me out to shoot any compound bow because of the fact that the cams are being pulled back and want to come back towards the shooter. In the R18's case, they are pointed towards the shooters face. What will happen if there is a catastrophic limb failure? I think the movement of the limbs is going to be very distracting on the shot.
Ravin is definitely doing some good thinking outside of the box, I just hope they've done more thinking than they have in the past.

·
9,766 Posts
I'm wondering ... how quiet, or loud, the electric cocking system is? I've used a 12vt Milwaukee right angle drill to cock a crossbow and it makes enough noise to put every deer within 100 yards on DEFCON 2 readiness alert.

Reactions: robertyb

·
9,766 Posts
Tenpoint has these fixed BHs for high speed xbows, I'm sure others do as well.
I can't ... imagine anything from Montec flying straight at 500fps. We used them when mentoring Wounded Warriors and half of the G5's I spun would have drawn 1/4" circles if they had ink on the points. 😂

121 - 140 of 214 Posts