Crossbow Nation banner

161 - 180 of 214 Posts

·
9,766 Posts
Yes, all I need to do is list more of Wife's jewelry in classifieds.
She won't notice for months.
(y)
That's why ... Beelzebub invented "Cubic Zirconia Diamonds." For guys like you who need new toys. She won't know until she breaks one. After she murders you in reponse, the devil collects your soul. Enjoy your new crossbow! :p ;)

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I don't know if I would trust that Ravin press to compress the limbs on a R500. You might have to have a dang hydraulic jack to compress those limbs.
What do you want a bet they'll offer another press that uses the same battery and a similar cocking device to press a R500?

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
That's why ... Beelzebub invented "Cubic Zirconia Diamonds." For guys like you who need new toys. She won't know until she breaks one. After she murders you in reponse, the devil collects your soul. Enjoy your new crossbow! :p ;)
The devil is in all of us.
Just have to keep him/her/it in check.

wolves.jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Damn, my R26 isn't even a year old. Guess, the SKS hard case for R26 and R29 will fit the R500. I assume only use Ravin nocks on the arrows. Wonder how far broad heads will stick out using 20" arrows?

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Forget about electric crank! I want to know how they get that much speed with 3.6 ATA cocked, just over 7 uncocked???

I don't get it.......That's crazy!

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Forget about electric crank! I want to know how they get that much speed with 3.6 ATA cocked, just over 7 uncocked???

I don't get it.......That's crazy!
Well if you think about it, it's not that difficult to understand. You merely take heavier limbs with larger diameter cams and rotate them more in the draw cycle.
The R500 cams rotate a full 360 degrees and those limbs are wider and stiffer.
There's also probably zero letoff on those cams and hence the twin drive screws with optional electric assist are there for the additional torque requirement.
I actually thought Ravin was going to introduce a Lion battery crank assist option last year. But they must have had a marketing mandate that it must shoot a 400 fps arrow at 500 fps. This probably was also the justification for the higher msrp price. I'm sure this was a challenge but they obviously had some sharp engineers working on it. Now it just remains to be seen if the reliability and accuracy is there.

As has been mentioned before, twin screw drives driven by stepper motors are not new technology. In fact, they are used every day on thousands of 3D printers to control the Z-axis. The exception is that the Ravin design requires more motor torque and a clutch.

·
9,766 Posts
I wonder ... how many turns on a crank to get the bow cocked? The ACUdraw on my 18-1/2" power stroke Orion is 37. The Firenock crank on my 20-1/2" power stroke Velocity is in the twenties.

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Our R26 takes 10 turns.
R500E?
Who cares LOL.
We'll take one.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Well knowing Ravin, they like 1" per revolution so since the R500 has a 15" power stroke, I'd guess 15 or less cranks. I believe a 15" power stroke is 2" longer than any Ravin in the past so that's another reason for the increased power.

·
Registered
957 Posts
When you really look at the Ravin R500 it’s pretty amazing to think they hit the 500 FPS mark with a conventional limbed crossbow design. In the past it was sited the only way anyone will ever achieve that is with a reverse limb design to get more of a power stroke out of it.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Bunny hit 500 fps with a Barnett. If it holds up to scrutiny then they get props. Right now just more hyped bull. We been down this road before. I am from Missouri. Show Me. You all got fooled by nemisis,i would think you would be more sceptical.

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Reactions: Ironminer

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
The screw drive I wouldn't even call that impressive, because screw drive and/or worm gear cocking is something I've always thought would be easy and safe to incorporate for crossbow cocking and decocking. I'm just really glad to see somebody decided to do it. Too simple. Way better than brakes or clutches.
Yes the Screw drive should be Allmost bullet proof one would think over the single strap designs, About the only downside would be, it's not going to Free fall back to reload.

161 - 180 of 214 Posts