Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have had this powerhouse for a few weeks and so far I am pleased with my purchase. Would I buy the 29X again? maybe not. If I was going to do it again I might have opted for the 29 not the 29X. After talking to a few string makers and other friends who are tech types, Ravin sort of pushed the envelope when they put these monster limbs on this little guy. That is the feedback I am getting from professionals in the arrow and string building and also other Ravin owners.
Now for the likes and dislikes. It sure is compact, sits kiddy corner on my gun rail no problem. ( the 26 would have been a issue trying to lay on a gun rail). The stirrup I bought from BigBird is a must for what I do.
So far after 80 shots no timing movement. ATA has moved a smidgen. The serving sucks, already time for a new one. Strings are holding up ok. Cranking is a breeze and quiet.

Now decocking is a different story. Buyer beware, unlike the tenpoint there is no clutch for letting down this beast. I was told by Wyvern not to use the decocking method. I am not saying do or don't, but these limbs are much different than the 29. If you let go accidently when letting down and it free spools , well all I can say is you better have a good hand surgeon available. I can see broken bones happening very easily. Do I decock? yes, but very carefully. I hunt strictly from some kind of gunrail or fieldpod. Heck I don't even take the arrow out, I just decock with concentration and strength and let it down slowly , then take the arrow off.

Regarding the Ravin and Luminocks , much to be desired. I have found out that I am not the only knucklehead that can not turn these nocks off. I was told directly by Ravin that Luminock made to tight of tolerances for the Ravin arrows. I have used Luminocks before so its not my first adventure with them. I was up in my coyote stand and it looked like Christmas with these coming on and off at their whim. My question to the Ravin guy I talked with is " how can you let a product out to the public with full knowledge it doesn't work properly". He said it must be a bad batch. I say BS to that, he was gracious enough to send me free of charge 3 new lighted arrows, same issue. After literally cracking 3 nocks trying to get them to turn off , I said screw it. I just leave them on until the battery dies.

I do love the continuous rail for a heave scope, my scope system weighs in at 3 lbs. I have found mechanicals are very accurate, as in don't aim for the same arrow or its Robinhood time.
The Trigger is almost as good as my Solution, meaning the trigger is very good.
I would definitely recommend Big Birds 3D printing accessories. Quiver bracket, Stirrup, and crank handle mount. Talking about a quiver I really don't like the Ravin 3 arrow . I personally need at least a 4 arrow. I have rigged a way to do it, but it did add on a few extra ounces.
The safty is quiet but will take some getting used to, regarding location

Since I always have a backpack on, I have found using a gun sling and putting the bow in front over my chest works perfect.

Right now with a 425 gn setup I am getting 438fps, Therfore buying the straight Ravin 29 instead of the 29X i would be in the 418FPS

So in closing I may not be as eloquent in my writing as Iron Duke or as technical as Burky but that's my review and I am sticking with it.

I want to thanks Dave at Wyverns, Todd aka Regohio, Rich TX, Iron Duke, Bigbird and I am sure I missed a few more. I know I drove you all crazy with my questions and concerns. I owe you guys. Thank You

·
Registered
181 Posts
Good write up . Have one myself and it is a very accurate powerhouse…..459 grain arrow at 426 FPS. Have to use the zombie slayer with this bow…..executioner does not group well as spine is too weak. God it is accurate though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
My experiences are about exactly like yours. with my R29x. But the strings and cables are in better shape then my 26 was at same the count.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Mark,
I think you did a bang up job with your review and you were dead on in your key points.
Thanks to Mark, I have taken a closer look at the new Ravin string used on a R29X.
They have increased strand count from 28 to 30 strands and increased the center serving width substantially while increasing serving tension.
Kudos to Ravin for making these changes which were obviously needed for those monster 240 deflection limbs on a R29X.
However, they still only use a single layer of serving as opposed to double serving used by many of the aftermarket string makers. Nevertheless, it shows they are listening and definitely trying to improve their strings.

·
10,863 Posts
What about Moon's ... Archery Shack strings he's so fervent about? Are they any better than what's coming from Ravin these days? I have two sources of mad money in the pipeline. $10k I loaned a good friend for 3 week... two years ago...lol He's closing on his $1.2m Florida house tomorrow. (with the grace of God!) And enough from a recent management project to cover an R29X. Point being, I assume my purchase would have the latest & greatest factory string.

Great review! Exactly what a hunter needs to know. No extraneous wishy washy hedging and no pulling any punches. Bowmanmt's skill set and perspective is clear, which makes the review perfect for interpreting and projecting his findings for our own wants & needs. What's good and what's not so good is down to earth and real. No speculation, theory or maybe's about it...lol

In my world; I'm not going backwards when I purchase a narrow platform crossbow. I want to be at least between my 433fps Orion and my 452fps Velocity. Pretty much leaves the R29X or R500. I probably only shoot around a hundred times a year. 50-60 arrows through deer and one arrow to unload at the end of the hunt.:p;) If I purchase an R29X the initial setup and work with the ATN X-Sight would take maybe 60-80 arrows? Thereafter it would be strictly business. My point being, it's great to be forewarned about the string issue and be able to decide if it's a deal breaker or not. Whether a string that breaks down fast enough to be considered "consumable" is acceptable or not. :unsure::)

Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The decocking is a nice feature. What i would recommend is at first just cock it back halfway, then decock slowly and see how it handles. the graduate to the full decocking.

·
SE VA
12,232 Posts
So Archery Shack’s R29x string and cables should last me the rest of my life on my R26👍🏻😆

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Well I think that probably depends on the individual who is making them.
Just remember GAS makes a whole lot more strings than AS and the Ravin OEM string maker makes a order of magnitude more Ravin strings than either.
Maybe a call to Archery Shack and GAS would be the appropriate next step particularly for you R29X users.

·
SE VA
12,232 Posts
I’ve had these R29’s from Archery Shack on my R26 since last summer and this how my timing looks today.

I can’t speak for GAS string’s and cables but I hear good feedback on them.

·
Registered
556 Posts
the Tenpoint vapor will put a 452 grain arrow out at 446 f.p.s

I have both the Ravinr29x and the Tenpoint vapor 470.

Duke. the vapor 470 is by far the nicest bow I have ever shot.

The carry weight of the R29x is the hot point for me, But i hate the front stock.
The R29 is a off hand shooters bow..I.M.O. which defeats the point of shooting a crossbow.
The front stock makes the bow super akward on the bench and also tips easy with some taller optics mounted on there. None of this being any type of deal breaker but just things I noticed between the 2 bows.

No Ravin 500 for me. I only by 2nd year models.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
No doubt AS can make a darn good set of Ravin strings as well.
I just checked Wyvern's web site and he is showing only 1 set of strings for the R9/R10/R15/R20/R29 and R29X.
This has huge implications because it means that the less powerful Ravins like the R10 should indeed expect longer life from the newer Ravin strings and cables that must be able to take the punishment of a R29X.
A call into David to verify this might be appropriate as well.
Moon, to your point, Yes, the strings on a R26 should definitely hold up better but how many folks want to slow down their crossbow like you do?
The other question would be how much speed is lost from the stronger string and I assume cables.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts

The carry weight of the R29x is the hot point for me, But i hate the front stock.
The R29 is a off hand shooters bow..I.M.O. which defeats the point of shooting a crossbow.
The front stock makes the bow super akward on the bench and also tips easy with some taller optics mounted on there. None of this being any type of deal breaker but just things I noticed between the 2 bows.

NGB, I will probably get in trouble for saying this but you need my Stirrup.
It willl solve the exact concern you and others have when shooting a R29 or R29X from a shooting rail.
You will have a nice flat surface to rest the front of your Ravin on and it's very light weight (but I didn't say it).

·
Registered
181 Posts
NGB, I will probably get in trouble for saying this but you need my Stirrup.
It willl solve the exact concern you and others have when shooting a R29 or R29X from a shooting rail.
You will have a nice flat surface to rest the front of your Ravin on and it's very light weight (but I didn't say it).
Bill….can you post a pic of the stirrup please?
Fred

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Thanks a bunch Mark,
Here's a couple more pics. Believe me when I say I worked many, many hours on this and went thru over a 100 CAD revisions before I finally got it like I wanted.
In fact, I gave up several times because it was so difficult to get the dang fit and functionality right.
When I finally did get it right, I contacted a patent attorney to file for a provisional patent which I now have. I figured I might have to farm out production if demand were to take off and I'm not about to do all of that work for nothing.

Attachments

·
Registered
556 Posts
Thats really cool. So how does that effect the front grip...? Is it still there.

Thats the other down side to the Ravin is hanging it on a hook in the stand.

I usually end up going through a riser hole.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It doesn't effect the front grip. Of all of BigBirds products that the one I cant live without.

·
10,863 Posts

Will that ... cantilevered scope mount support a 3lb ATN X-Sight and maybe a heavy Wicked Lights IR weapon light? Looks like the sliding trigger-box dock precipitated a reduction in the vertical pillar between the picatinny rail and the frame.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts