Crossbow Nation banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

Registered
Hades froze ... over. 馃槀 Just got off the horn with Wyvern. Ravin R29X is in the mail. If you want one, he only has two left now, and as you read elsewhere, Ravin is going balls to the wall on the R500 until further notice. :eek:

Just think, me & Moon are crossbow bros now...lol :oops::p馃槀
View attachment 198054
I never in a millions years saw this coming! 馃檲 what the crap are they gonna pick on each other about now? We may have just lost half our entertainment boyz!

SE VA
I think it鈥檚 possible for Duke to like both crossbow designs at the same time, even with their differences.

I think it鈥檚 possible for Duke to like both crossbow designs at the same time, even with their differences.
Few thoughts:
#1. I use the weapon with the combined characteristics that I feel gives me the greatest advantage to put animals on the ground. That's in whatever platform we're talking about. (Rifle, shotgun, bow, crossbow) For example, once I bought a Scorpyd Orion with a crank it supplanted the much faster and more powerful Scorpyd Velocity with no crank. The Orion turned out to be more stealthy re-cocking in a treestand for multiple kills. Interestingly, it's 'slightly" smaller than the Velocity and it has hung in my mind for many years that small size difference made it "feel" more comfortable and maneuverable. A key to going to a narrower platform Ravin was that small background awareness floating around in the back of my mind. My point being: "I'll be shooting the platform that feels most comfortable."
#2. I have on occasion said: "I'm not married to any brand of anything." Brand loyalty is a two way street. The brand has to satisfy my needs and stay current. I gravitate to buying American where quality and value are available, but other than that "what have you done for me lately?" :)
#3. The 3lb ATN X-Sight and attached Auxiliary Ballistic Laser played some part in triggering the decision. I purchased one a short time ago for the day/night capability without use of a visible weapon light. I'm quite sure my Scorpyds would support that weight but apparently no fast & narrow Ten Point would. The railroad bridge picatinny rail on the narrow & fast R29X eliminates that potential problem completely.
#4. Speaking of Scorpyd and brand loyalty, they make a superb crossbow. World class quality, made in USA, great customer service department if needed, fast, powerful and sublimely accurate. Yet, they haven't seemed to master maintaining all of that and shrinking the platform. I was hoping they would for a couple years now. By many accounts the Nemesis didn't hit the mark and nothing from them has come out since then better. Even if it was perfect, the Scorpyd wasn't as small as the SWAT, Ravin, some Ten Points or some other crossbows. One reason I bought the R29X yesterday is I don't think Scorpyd will make a small platform in the foreseeable future. Like the SWAT X1, I can only wait so long at my age ...lol
#5. Harking back to item #1, the Burky Velocity at 452fps/187ke or the Orion that feels nice is going to make for a tough decision on which one to sell. I don't need three crossbows. I kinda hate to see it go, but if I can get Dorge from Firenock to fix the crank on my Velocity, I think the Orion will eventually be sold.
#6. The Ravin R500 vs the choice to buy an R29X? Why not go to the latest and the highest performing crossbow to ever hit the market? Particularly since this may well be my last crossbow purchase? Well, the R29X matches the performance parameters of the Burky Velocity that hits like a runaway Maglev train. I've often said: "All else being equal, faster is always better." The devil is in the "all else being equal." The R500 is near as I can tell a skunk works rumor. Who's held one, tested one, taken one into the field? It hopefully turns out to be the best crossbow on earth. Yet, breaking barriers rarely comes trouble free. Plenty of pilots bought the farm breaking the sound barrier. Not only is 450fps enough for my needs, I see no advantage to being an R500 test pilot. Too much potential downside to the design and the operation. "Versadrive cocking system with dual screws to cock?" Do you have to power that drive both forward and back to recock? Nah, I'll let the tsunami of testosterone fueled newbies be first up for the honor of being test dummies for the R500. :rolleyes:;)
#7. Final straws that triggered my decision to purchase yesterday. Availability. The R500 taking precedent will drain the last R29X's from the dealers. Even if they switch production back to the rest of the Ravin stable, it's likely we'll see shortages come hunting season. Covid has already generated massive shortages and backlogs. And price increases. Seems everything is going nuts pricewise. I got a good deal from Wyvern yesterday, come September will those deals still be available? Bows available? Mad money is here now...lol Bowmanmt's excellent review right here in this thread. I say excellent not because it was glowing and obsequious but because it was real. He mentioned what he didn't like and let the reader judge how it effects their buying philosophy.

So, that's why now, and that's why I think I have a very good chance of embracing the platform. Of course there's a chance there's a deal breaker buried somewhere; I won't know until I work with it. I bought a Strykezone 380 that was a superb crossbow ahead of it's time. Came to hate it because the safety sucked. I kept finding it in the "fire" position all the time. Who woulda expected that? Yet, I think the odds are pretty well weighted on the positive side of the R29X gamble.;)

Registered
Kinda like when Bruce started squatting to pee....your like, wait,what,who the,how the,WTF!:oops:o_O:unsure::eek::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Shelia finally caved....
I wish ... lol My Sheilas have never been the "caving" types. I wonder why that is? Might have to do with my choices? Or, like the R29X choice, it may have something to do with "availability." The Sheilas that are available in the NYC megalopolis? If I lived in Alabama, Mississippi or Arkansas I might still be married since 1972. ;)

Reactions: SEW

Registered
Duke.......Welcome to the Ravin family!! I got one of the first R15鈥檚 & had a new slide/trigger put on it when they initially had some issues, plus the new safety was so much better. After keeping it as my backup & trying two new other top brands of the latest, greatest & fastest(both were sold) I kept going back to the R15 for all my hunting. Last fall I got an R29 as it fits me even better the the R15 & I鈥檓 not looking back. I think you鈥檒l really like the R29X, especially for what you鈥檒l use it for. Now if you run SwatX Mag鈥檚 or another massive cutting 4 blade broadhead you鈥檒l be set.

Registered
Get a hold of big bird guys, he鈥檚 got some nice add ons you might like for your new Ravins.

Reactions: Iron Duke

SE VA
Few thoughts:
#1. I use the weapon with the combined characteristics that I feel gives me the greatest advantage to put animals on the ground. That's in whatever platform we're talking about. (Rifle, shotgun, bow, crossbow) For example, once I bought a Scorpyd Orion with a crank it supplanted the much faster and more powerful Scorpyd Velocity with no crank. The Orion turned out to be more stealthy re-cocking in a treestand for multiple kills. Interestingly, it's 'slightly" smaller than the Velocity and it has hung in my mind for many years that small size difference made it "feel" more comfortable and maneuverable. A key to going to a narrower platform Ravin was that small background awareness floating around in the back of my mind. My point being: "I'll be shooting the platform that feels most comfortable."
#2. I have on occasion said: "I'm not married to any brand of anything." Brand loyalty is a two way street. The brand has to satisfy my needs and stay current. I gravitate to buying American where quality and value are available, but other than that "what have you done for me lately?" :)
#3. The 3lb ATN X-Sight and attached Auxiliary Ballistic Laser played some part in triggering the decision. I purchased one a short time ago for the day/night capability without use of a visible weapon light. I'm quite sure my Scorpyds would support that weight but apparently no fast & narrow Ten Point would. The railroad bridge picatinny rail on the narrow & fast R29X eliminates that potential problem completely.
#4. Speaking of Scorpyd and brand loyalty, they make a superb crossbow. World class quality, made in USA, great customer service department if needed, fast, powerful and sublimely accurate. Yet, they haven't seemed to master maintaining all of that and shrinking the platform. I was hoping they would for a couple years now. By many accounts the Nemesis didn't hit the mark and nothing from them has come out since then better. Even if it was perfect, the Scorpyd wasn't as small as the SWAT, Ravin, some Ten Points or some other crossbows. One reason I bought the R29X yesterday is I don't think Scorpyd will make a small platform in the foreseeable future. Like the SWAT X1, I can only wait so long at my age ...lol
#5. Harking back to item #1, the Burky Velocity at 452fps/187ke or the Orion that feels nice is going to make for a tough decision on which one to sell. I don't need three crossbows. I kinda hate to see it go, but if I can get Dorge from Firenock to fix the crank on my Velocity, I think the Orion will eventually be sold.
#6. The Ravin R500 vs the choice to buy an R29X? Why not go to the latest and the highest performing crossbow to ever hit the market? Particularly since this may well be my last crossbow purchase? Well, the R29X matches the performance parameters of the Burky Velocity that hits like a runaway Maglev train. I've often said: "All else being equal, faster is always better." The devil is in the "all else being equal." The R500 is near as I can tell a skunk works rumor. Who's held one, tested one, taken one into the field? It hopefully turns out to be the best crossbow on earth. Yet, breaking barriers rarely comes trouble free. Plenty of pilots bought the farm breaking the sound barrier. Not only is 450fps enough for my needs, I see no advantage to being an R500 test pilot. Too much potential downside to the design and the operation. "Versadrive cocking system with dual screws to cock?" Do you have to power that drive both forward and back to recock? Nah, I'll let the tsunami of testosterone fueled newbies be first up for the honor of being test dummies for the R500. :rolleyes:;)
#7. Final straws that triggered my decision to purchase yesterday. Availability. The R500 taking precedent will drain the last R29X's from the dealers. Even if they switch production back to the rest of the Ravin stable, it's likely we'll see shortages come hunting season. Covid has already generated massive shortages and backlogs. And price increases. Seems everything is going nuts pricewise. I got a good deal from Wyvern yesterday, come September will those deals still be available? Bows available? Mad money is here now...lol Bowmanmt's excellent review right here in this thread. I say excellent not because it was glowing and obsequious but because it was real. He mentioned what he didn't like and let the reader judge how it effects their buying philosophy.

So, that's why now, and that's why I think I have a very good chance of embracing the platform. Of course there's a chance there's a deal breaker buried somewhere; I won't know until I work with it. I bought a Strykezone 380 that was a superb crossbow ahead of it's time. Came to hate it because the safety sucked. I kept finding it in the "fire" position all the time. Who woulda expected that? Yet, I think the odds are pretty well weighted on the positive side of the R29X gamble.;)
鈥淥bsequious鈥 huh? You made me hit the dictionary again馃槅

i could not imagine owning a bow anymore without a sliding trigger box.

Other then saving some money, I cant justify one reason not too.

Accuracy, great triggers, super dependable......its all there.
One point ... I'm considering is the less movement to re-cock. I won't know until I get to try it, but I presently have to unhook my sled from behind the scope, spool out the twin strings while lifting the sled high above the massive Vortex scope, all the to the front of the reverse limb crossbow. Hook it on the string that comes off the FRONT of the cams. Then after the 37 rounds of the crank, push the sled out from under the scope, lift it high above again, and re-seat it behind the scope. Since the bow of the bow :sneaky: is sticking out in front of the shooting rail in a treestand, that's a lot of visible motion.

I'm thinking the sliding trigger box of the R20X can probably be just pushed forward with one hand well down below the sightline of the remaining deer. Would definitely make a significant difference for stacking them up. :) Or, a second shot for anyone who needs one.

Reactions: Moon

Duke,
鈥楻eading your recocking post makes me think that getting a second shot with the X1 would likely be much faster. That is if the tiny cocker is left in position.

Registered
There's a reason Ravin quickly became a household name in crossbows.
Whoever came up with that mobile trigger latch and the integral crank system will go down in history as the guy who changed crossbows forever.
The first day you climb into a tree stand and realize how easily it is to cock and decock that little sucker while still sitting down is the day you become a true believer.

And then when you lift up another crossbow and compare the weight with your Ravin, you quickly set the other one down and say "What were they thinking???"

Registered
the big deal to the sliding trigger box vs an accudraw is that you can decock it of coarse but more importantly there is no re docking the of the sled after a cock.

Re docking the sled after each cock translates into lots of extra movement during a hunt and extra time if out enjoying a shooting session. HALF THE COCKING ACTION IS GONE
Thats a huge gain i.m.o.

SE VA
Someone posted early on during Ravin鈥檚 startup that Ravin had done nothing new馃槅. His point was that the sliding trigger box and several other features were patented by other companies. He overlooked the fact that Ravin was the first to combine them all in Ravin鈥檚 crossbows馃檮. Well, duhhhhh!!!!!馃槃

41 - 60 of 100 Posts