Crossbow Nation banner
41 - 60 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I can see it now, the electric version some how jams up and even with the crank it won't budge....now don't you feel stupid !!!! anything, and everything can break
I feel this way about the electric crank. If you're to that point that you need to push a button, and you can't hand crank. and again I'm not saying pulling it back, I'm saying hand crank. Then maybe that person should be looking at a rifle.

Reactions: BHC

·
12,618 Posts
So do you have to use the crank to unwind it to cock the bow? I counted at least 17 revolutions of that crank unwinding and then the picture changed. 17-20 to unwind. Maybe 17-20 to cock it? Too much if true. That explains the electric model.
Wow,
the crank can be stopped anytime when decocking and won't run away. It's quiet in both directions without needing to push in a thumb button and doesn't require reversing to release the clutch like TenPoints. Yet folks still complain. Furthermore, the number of revolutions is related to the 15" power stroke which is 2.5" more than any other Ravin. It's also normally 1" per revolution on Ravins so I expect it might be closer to 15 revolutions to fully cock but I could be wrong on the R500.
You should try a Scorpyd with a Accudraw crank system. You'll think you're reeling and reeling and reeling in a big fish.
For the record ... the ACUdraw on my Scorpyd Orion took THIRTY SEVEN! (37) revolutions to cock. Trust me, I counted them every time I killed a deer and "quickly" reloaded. ;) The R500 @15-17 is a cake walk in comparison and twice as fast as that.

Reactions: SEW and Moon

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Especially since some states like Pennsylvania are already passing laws to make an electric crank illegal for hunting. The way I see it if you are not physically able to crank it without an electric motor, than chances are you won't be able to lug such a heavy crossbow in the woods anyway.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
For the record ... the ACUdraw on my Scorpyd Orion took THIRTY SEVEN! (37) revolutions to cock. Trust me, I counted them every time I killed a deer and "quickly" reloaded. ;) The R500 @15-17 is a cake walk in comparison and twice as fast as that.
So, when are you placing your order? You know you want it! Lol

Reactions: SEW and Iron Duke

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
If that sucker holds up and string & cable life are good than huh maybe. Nolan really liked it and I've brought a lot of stuff off of his is reviews including the mission sub so iam looking and listening.

·
Registered
Sonoran Desert Arizona.
779 Posts
I had a Horton storm that took 36 revolutions to cock. You can always add the battery later but it is quite a bit cheaper to get it with the bow. After cocking you can put it in your pack to carry it which is a good idea if you are doing spot and stalk. If you are target shooting the electric crank could come in handy. If you can find a target to stop it.

·
12,618 Posts
Video thoughts ...
#1. Bow looks "stout." A beast with the beefy size of everything.:oops:
#2. That crank handle was any longer and we'd be invoking Archimedes: "Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." :p
#3. If you have to "uncock" that trigger sled after every shot to get the device to "click" onto the string, then do the 15-17 revolutions to cock the crossbow, it's taking 30-34 revolutions to reload the crossbow. That's no advantage even over an old ACUdraw. A disadvantage over a new Ten Point or existing Ravin.:unsure:
#4. The twin screws look nicer and more precision than I expected. I still have concerns over dust, dirt, frozen water and unnoticed crap getting into the threads. Jam ups? How to clean them? Long term wear from abrasives that get in there? :rolleyes::confused:
#5. I think the safety looks a little more user friendly than my R29X. I haven't had much experience with mine yet, but while in the scope, finding the safety is an exercise in futility for me ... so far.
#6. 10½lbs fully loaded isn't really bad. My R29X with Vortex XBR is 9½bs.
#7. "Balance's nice?"...LOL Why does every heavy bow get the "it balances nice in spite of the weight" label attached to it?...lol 😂 Perhaps it's me but that crossbow looks like it has about a 35%-65% FOC. :p;)
#8. I wonder who's making the arrows and what the specs are that they are earmarked for the R500 only? Orange nocks so if the nocks are proprietary and the same color as the "lesser" nocks of all the other Ravin arrows, we're looking for a disaster somewhere down the line.

It's going to be fun watching how the bow shakes down over the coming months. Strikes me that we're looking at a first generation configuration. That there's room for it to evolve. Pretty major jump in the performance department. Realistically, there aren't any crossbows near 500fps with a 400gr arrow. The 470/480fps crossbows are in reality shooting 460fps-ish?

Just my first thoughts. :)
Font Rectangle Magenta Pattern Darkness

Reactions: SEW

·
Registered
12 Posts
I didn’t complain about too many cranks, I offered an opinion. I don’t own it. Just a thought from watching a video. Other people will see different things. I have an R29x. Twelve cranks. That’s my basis for comparison. Very happy with it. I’m not “380”
Wow,
the crank can be stopped anytime when decocking and won't run away. It's quiet in both directions without needing to push in a thumb button and doesn't require reversing to release the clutch like TenPoints. Yet folks still complain. Furthermore, the number of revolutions is related to the 15" power stroke which is 2.5" more than any other Ravin. It's also normally 1" per revolution on Ravins so I expect it might be closer to 15 revolutions to fully cock but I could be wrong on the R500.
You should try a Scorpyd with a Accudraw crank system. You'll think you're reeling and reeling and reeling in a big fish.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I will see how it plays out over the course of the season and could possibly make the jump next season. I enjoy both bows that I have (Ravin R9 and Scorpyd Orion). The Scorpyd Orion is pretty big however for the way I hunt- I usually need to walk a couple of miles to get to my spots and then a do some spot and stalk, often needing to go through some rough terrain. My bows take some abuse in the woods and weeds. They are both in very good condition, but I do my best to keep it that way. I only use the Scorpyd these days when my daughter is using the R9, simply because of the bulk. Having two Ravins would be ideal for me, but obviously that price is very steep, and I could use that money many other things, considering I already have two more than capable bows. But if these hold up well, then I will definitely be tempted.

·
Premium Member
4,573 Posts
I can see it now, the electric version some how jams up and even with the crank it won't budge....now don't you feel stupid !!!! anything, and everything can break
Some people make 10X the price of that xbow in an hour (not me).
I bet they would toss it in the garbage if it jammed, without feeling stupid.
No need to cut down peoples choices in xbows here.
To each their own.

·
Registered
Sonoran Desert Arizona.
779 Posts
I would be somewhat concerned about the cable anchor point on the end of the limbs. That has to take a lot of shock. Especially in a nock failure. Lets all get one and start testing.:):)(y)

·
12,618 Posts
Some people make 10X the price of that xbow in an hour (not me).
I bet they would toss it in the garbage if it jammed, without feeling stupid.
No need to cut down peoples choices in xbows here.
To each their own.
I agree ... never judge anybody else's financial position and/or their buying philosophy. What's the investment limits on a person's passion? What's the penalty for a man's frugality? "Value" is determined by each individual. If a lower income guy wants a $3,000.00 crossbow and has to make 36 payments to own it free and clear, that's his business. If a wealthy guy like Moon refuses to pay $3,000.00 for a crossbow on principle alone, so be it. To each his own, suum cuique. :p ;)

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I agree ... never judge anybody else's financial position and/or their buying philosophy. What's the investment limits on a person's passion? What's the penalty for a man's frugality? "Value" is determined by each individual. If a lower income guy wants a $3,000.00 crossbow and has to make 36 payments to own it free and clear, that's his business. If a wealthy guy like Moon refuses to pay $3,000.00 for a crossbow on principle alone, so be it. To each his own, suum cuique. :p ;)
Moon keeps 3 G’s in his left sock

·
12,618 Posts
Moon keeps 3 G’s in his left sock
And that's ... only for balance and to keep him from developing a limp and back problems from the thickness of the 5k in his right sock! :p 😂 ;) He's got so much money in his shoes that he walks around like Lady Gaga.
Gesture Font Human leg Carmine Magenta

·
Registered
14,863 Posts
Just wondering what kind of target is gonna stop the arrows?! And how you gonna get them out once they stop going all the way through?!? :eek: :censored::cry:

Reactions: Iron Duke

·
Premium Member
4,573 Posts
Just wondering what kind of target is gonna stop the arrows?! And how you gonna get them out once they stop going all the way through?!? :eek: :censored::cry:
The SpyderWeb NO SPEED LIMIT, 2021 version (packed tighter), should handle the 500fps no probs.
The 2020 version handles 470fps/400 gr arrows @20+ yards.

41 - 60 of 115 Posts