Crossbow Nation banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

· Registered
1,104 Posts
People keep saying in this thread and others how Ravin is losing market share because of their recent practices. Are they, though? I think that’s a big assumption unless you have some data to go off of. We’re in quite the little bubble here on CBN. Just because our threads here are full of dismay for Ravin, it doesn’t mean that the other 99% of crossbow shooters aren’t still sending lots of money their way.

· Registered
909 Posts
People keep saying in this thread and others how Ravin is losing market share because of their recent practices. Are they, though? I think that’s a big assumption unless you have some data to go off of. We’re in quite the little bubble here on CBN. Just because our threads here are full of dismay for Ravin, it doesn’t mean that the other 99% of crossbow shooters aren’t still sending lots of money their way.
The few guys I know, who aren't crossbow hunters & know very little about them, would tell you Ravin crossbows are the best ones out there. They're expensive. Thus, they must be good in their mind.

When I first started looking at crossbows for the first time a couple years ago, a Ravin R10 hanging on a hook made everything else look cheap at a local Blain's Farm & Fleet. If that's the only place you shop for a crossbow, you will feel like you walked out with the very best one!

Don't take what I just said the wrong way, because I do think the Ravin R10 is an excellent crossbow for the money. I am not knocking that particular model at all!

After one visit to an archery shop (that carried Ravin, Ten Point, Mission, & Excalibur), I realized Ravin didn't even come up in the conversation with the owner. He had a bunch of them & surely would have sold one to anyone with blinders on, but they weren't the crossbows he was excited about. I realize another shop may be different. If you go in with a closed mind, a smart archery shop owner will recognize that & just make the sale. Most of my friends would buy a Ravin without much research. If you paid big money for one, they would be even more impressed. If you brought up something like Scorpyd, they would respond - "What's a Scorpyd?" It's just where some guys are. I know, because I was one of them not that long ago.

15,015 Posts
The few guys I know, who aren't crossbow hunters & know very little about them, would tell you Ravin crossbows are the best ones out there. They're expensive. Thus, they must be good in their mind.

When I first started looking at crossbows for the first time a couple years ago, a Ravin R10 hanging on a hook made everything else look cheap at a local Blain's Farm & Fleet. If that's the only place you shop for a crossbow, you will feel like you walked out with the very best one!

Don't take what I just said the wrong way, because I do think the Ravin R10 is an excellent crossbow for the money. I am not knocking that particular model at all!

After one visit to an archery shop (that carried Ravin, Ten Point, Mission, & Excalibur), I realized Ravin didn't even come up in the conversation with the owner. He had a bunch of them & surely would have sold one to anyone with blinders on, but they weren't the crossbows he was excited about. I realize another shop may be different. If you go in with a closed mind, a smart archery shop owner will recognize that & just make the sale. Most of my friends would buy a Ravin without much research. If you paid big money for one, they would be even more impressed. If you brought up something like Scorpyd, they would respond - "What's a Scorpyd?" It's just where some guys are. I know, because I was one of them not that long ago.
Amen ... you guys are spot-on. I started talking crossbows with a street-smart wildlife biologist with his PhD, who has probably shot 10,000 animals over the last ¼ century with custom built .223 rifles, because he's thinking of buying a crossbow next spring to play with. A guy who shot stickbows in his youth. First crossbow he mentioned was a Ravin. The "uninformed" are honest people from all walks of life and all income levels. They all should know they're going to have to take the unprecedented burden of spending $200.00 a year replacing cables & string at their dealer every season or risk exploding Ravins. $200.00 a year Ravin insurance to cover their unconscionable string engineering and/or quality. Existing Ravin owners should be reminded they best do the same.

Like I said to bowmanmt I'm not on a mission to denigrate or "get even" with Ravin. I like a lot about my R29X or I wouldn't have bought it. I bring up the snapped cable in context and in threads where the fact fits. I also think that we have a duty to share and inform both each other and visitors... repeatedly.

5,014 Posts
True A buddy of mine that don't hunt or shoot bows ever. Was telling me the Buzz at the local dinner the other day. He informed me Ravin is the best bow ever made. According to the guys there that day.

There the average Joes that get brought up from time to time on here.

· Registered
1,809 Posts
I would also have bought Ravin at some point, but the discussions on the forum have made me change my mind, because I don't have enough time to just focus on crossbow maintenance. Excalibur is a much more suitable option for me, which I can handle completely on my own. Ravin Isn't it the smartest option for the average (Joe) Sunday hunter? if, for example, you shoot a lot at a target. In addition, I would like to mention that here in Europe, getting spare parts and technical support for the Ravin crossbow is slow, difficult and expensive.,.🤑

· Registered
3,996 Posts
Ravin continues to sell a lot of bow in spite of the fact the company is struggling with CS and actually new vision. The average Joe, not this crazy group, doesn’t experience those things and isn’t exposed to them if they don’t hear anyone talk about it. The real fact is Ravin has done and outstanding job with marketing and they do leave a little meat on the bone for the dealer that sells them undiscounted.

· Registered
Excalibur Exomax
783 Posts
Swung by a large community campground for deer hunters last year. It was archery season so lots of crossbows were in display. Out of about 50 or so hunters two manufactures crossbows were in the majority, Excalibur and Centerpoint. Runner up was Ten Point. Not a big sampling but it was interesting.

A guy showed up late in the evening with a Ravin R10 and attracted a crowd. Everyone wanted to look it over and shoulder it. I’m confident a couple of guys went shopping when they got home. A great example where a very satisfied Ravin customer encouraged a sale or two. Ravin needs to understand bad CS and poor performance will catch up to them. In this case their product spoke for itself.
Bill

· Registered
1,104 Posts
....Ravin needs to understand bad CS and poor performance will catch up to them.....
I definitely agree with that. It will catch up to them. Reminds me of Sprint, the phone company, when about 15 years ago their horrible CS caught up to them so they fired the CEO and the new CEO made an apology video asking customers to come back and spent tons of money airing it on TV everyday. Sprint never really recovered from all of that and eventually faded into oblivion after multiple mergers and buyouts. Most of their customers never came back, me included.

15,015 Posts
Gonna keep mine until it blows up. Then I will be forced to buy the boat anchor ⚓.. 505
Me too!... My R29X didn't blow up this afternoon. :cool: But it did kill 3 more deer. ;)
Brown Vertebrate Branch Wood Mammal

15,015 Posts
I definitely agree with that. It will catch up to them. Reminds me of Sprint, the phone company, when about 15 years ago their horrible CS caught up to them so they fired the CEO and the new CEO made an apology video asking customers to come back and spent tons of money airing it on TV everyday. Sprint never really recovered from all of that and eventually faded into oblivion after multiple mergers and buyouts. Most of their customers never came back, me included.
Sky Violet Font Magenta Electric blue

· Registered
2,486 Posts
Duke,
Folks like you go in the woods with a 10 gauge shotgun to kill squirrels. I've been traveling out to the midwest to deer hunt for years and there's about 6 of us who have all been using Ravins for a long time. As you know, 300 pound whitetails are not uncommon out there.
Some of these guys haven't changed out their strings for several years. In fact, I changed out the strings on my hunting buddy brother's R10 for the very first time after he's been using it for at least 3 years if not more.
As I recall the year before last, he arrived and shot an awesome 8 pointer on his first trip into the woods and then shot a big fat doe the very next day and was tagged out.

Heck, I know of folks who elk hunt out west with their R10 and are very successful.
You and Mark even admit you don't take long shots so why use a cannon to shoot ducks??? I know Mark likes to hog hunt so he has justification.

Kind of reminds me of my one and only hog hunting experience. I had a 50 pound compound and some folks though I was nuts but my one and only hog I was allowed to kill took 1 step and dropped dead as a doornail.

BTW, I fine it kind of comical with all the negative talk about Ravin on CBN lately, you'd think they are losing customers.
Well that might be true but I can assure you of one thing from a whole, whole lot of first hand experience.

There's a hellofva lot of Ravin owners out there and my printers often remind me of this poor hunting dog. ;);)

Attachments

15,015 Posts
Duke,
Folks like you go in the woods with a 10 gauge shotgun to kill squirrels. I've been traveling out to the midwest to deer hunt for years and there's about 6 of us who have all been using Ravins for a long time. As you know, 300 pound whitetails are not uncommon out there.
Some of these guys haven't changed out their strings for several years. In fact, I changed out the strings on my hunting buddy brother's R10 for the very first time after he's been using it for at least 3 years if not more.
As I recall the year before last, he arrived and shot an awesome 8 pointer on his first trip into the woods and then shot a big fat doe the very next day and was tagged out.

Heck, I know of folks who elk hunt out west with their R10 and are very successful.
You and Mark even admit you don't take long shots so why use a cannon to shoot ducks??? I know Mark likes to hog hunt so he has justification.

Kind of reminds me of my one and only hog hunting experience. I had a 50 pound compound and some folks though I was nuts but my one and only hog I was allowed to kill took 1 step and dropped dead as a doornail.

BTW, I fine it kind of comical with all the negative talk about Ravin on CBN lately, you'd think they are losing customers.
Well that might be true but I can assure you of one thing from a whole, whole lot of first hand experience.

There's a hellofva lot of Ravin owners out there and my printers often remind me of this poor hunting dog. ;);)
The R10 ... is not an R29 or R29X. You're comparing a proven everyday driver to a race car that has design weaknesses. As for requiring a 10ga to kill squirrels? I've probably killed hundreds of deer with just a 40gr to 55gr .22 caliber bullet. Dozens with a diminutive 36gr .22 rimfire. :) ;) That said ...lol Almost every DMP shooter I know is shooting 20ga bolt action slug-guns. I still carry a 12ga semi for the knock down energy, range and firepower. :p😂 I want the odds stacked in my favor as far as possible. My "challenge" is minimizing wounding and maximizing efficiency. Like Vince Lombardi once said: "A good big man will beat a good small man every time." A big 450 or 500fps will do everything a small 350fps will and do it better. (If the crossbow stays together that is...lol) ;)
Jeans Font Event Metal Poster

· Registered
2,774 Posts
Duke,

Well said young man.

15,015 Posts
Well said young man.
I post ... a glam photo of my recently successful R29X while Ravin is under indictment in this thread and I get abuse? And here I thought I was throwing youz Ravin bro's a bone. :p 😂;)
Forehead Hair Chin Jaw Gesture

21 - 40 of 65 Posts