Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an older guy (58) just getting into archery hunting. I want to use a Ravin crossbow. But I'm not sure what model I need.

Price is not much of a consideration, but I don't want to spend just to spend.

I'm a tall, lanky guy with long neck and arms. I tried a Ravin at the shop today and it seemed a little too cramped. The shop owner said the scope could be adjusted, but I'm wondering if there is a particular Ravin that is designed to suit people of my lanky dimensions.

Thanks in advance. I'm very excited to try this new way of hunting.

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
The R10 or R20 would be better for someone with long arms IMO. The R26 R29 are the compact models. I have a R10 and a 29x IMO the R10 is more comfortable but the R29x is much better in a blind.

·
Registered
Sonoran Desert Arizona.
615 Posts
The R10 or R20 would be better for someone with long arms IMO. The R26 R29 are the compact models. I have a R10 and a 29x IMO the R10 is more comfortable but the R29x is much better in a blind.

If I remember correctly the R10 is 33" long and shoots 400 fps. The R 20 is 34.5" long and shoots 430 fps. The 26 is 26" and shoots 400 the 29 is 29" and shoots 430. I dont know what you tried but that may help. Best bang for the buck is the R10. I have a R29 and a R15.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I would say the R10 or R20 also. I don't own a ravin I am a Tenpoint owner and I am not super tall 6'2" but I do have longer arms. I don't like the super compact models of crossbows they are uncomfortable for me to shoot. My buddy has the Ravin R20 and I have no issues with it and I own the Stealth NXT which is not compact and it is nice to shoot also. I have only handled the compact models in the Ravin lineup and it just felt to me like I had to tuck my arms in way to much. And I have shot the. Tenpoint Havoc and Siege and did not like their fit. Best of luck, I think you will be happy with either of these bows .

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Ravin R10/Hawke XB30 Compact 2-8 / R20
70 Posts
I would have to say the R10 or the R20. It would be easy enough to ad some extra length to the butt of the stock with a recoil pad on either model. Not so easy with the R26 or R29 as the release button is at the rear of the stock. I would suggest the R10 as it is a proven xbow and at 400fps , should be all the power anyone would need. So given the reasons of not to spend just to spend, and having a good fit, I would recommend the R10. Spend the extra cash on dressing it up however you like....hard or soft case, scopes, cables and strings, and don't forget to to look into BigBird's cool and useful additions. Just my opinion.....best of luck, enjoy and welcome to the Xbow addiction!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm very appreciative for all the responses here. Thank you all. I think I'll give the R10 a serious look, and possibly order this week. There is an excellent local bow shop that can order it, set it up, and help me maintain it over the years. I like that idea more than buying over the internet. Love to support the local businesses. But I love Cabela's for everyday gear.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Hold both the R10 & R29 before making your decision. I found the R15 of mine great but the R29 is even a better fit. Good Luck

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
If you are tall and lanky, there's really only one logical choice and that's the R10. All Ravins have a short LOP and will feel ridiculous to a person who has long arms and a long neck.
But the R10 is 1-1/2" shorter than the R20 so you can install a stock extension or spacer on the R10 and it will still fit in the Ravin soft case.
Most normal size folks have no ideal what a Ravin feels like to a tall and lanky guy. The LOP is so short, it's actually comical.

Reactions: WWB

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
First off why a Ravin? About the only big reason I bought the 29x compared to lets say a Ten Point siege is I have a very heavy digital scope,3lbs. If your new at the Xbow game I would go with a siege or havoc. Better cocking and especially decocking. Much safer in my opinion. The 29x is a bear to manually uncock. and to be quite honest it could be dangerous if it get out of hand. The Siege is safer and defiantly shoulders nicer that the Ravin. Ravin is also very proprietary . You have to use all there stuff or else. Also if you want a lighted nocks, for now its not going to happen. The Luminoks with the Ravin bushings are very problematic.

·
Registered
670 Posts
First off why a Ravin? About the only big reason I bought the 29x compared to lets say a Ten Point siege is I have a very heavy digital scope,3lbs. If your new at the Xbow game I would go with a siege or havoc. Better cocking and especially decocking. Much safer in my opinion. The 29x is a bear to manually uncock. and to be quite honest it could be dangerous if it get out of hand. The Siege is safer and defiantly shoulders nicer that the Ravin. Ravin is also very proprietary . You have to use all there stuff or else. Also if you want a lighted nocks, for now its not going to happen. The Luminoks with the Ravin bushings are very problematic.
I call bull! Why are you on here if you don't like Ravins? The man asked about Ravins not some ten point crap. Dangerous to cock??? Where did you get your engineering degree?

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I call bull! Why are you on here if you don't like Ravins? The man asked about Ravins not some ten point crap. Dangerous to cock??? Where did you get your engineering degree?
wow , settle down my friend. I own a Ravin because of the continuous scope rail. it cocks nicely. but uncocking could be a issue since it has no safety clutch. since I shoot a very heavy Arrow I also enjoy the horsepower no doubt. so yes, since I own a Ravin i will continue to talk the talk . I am a fanboy of nothing.

·
Registered
919 Posts
My 2 cents. I’m 6 ft 2 and have long arms but the R 26 is the best fitting and shooting bow I’ve ever owned…and I’ve owned plenty. These guys are telling you straight. R 10 is great value. R 29x is a beast. But give that R 26 a few shots it may surprise you? It just holds perfect when you stick your forward elbow to your chest. I shot a buck in Illinois last year on last afternoon hunt. That buck ran out of a thicket and stopped for a second at 45 yards. I pinwheeled him and he was dead in 3 jumps. I don’t know if I could have made that shot off hand with another bow!

·
Registered
256 Posts
JMHO. I’m a skinny long armed 6’1”......I shouldered all of them and ended up with the cheapest one. The R10. I don’t free hand unless I have too, so the R10 feels like what I’m used to shouldering a rifle with a rest. It chronod faster than advertised between 412-415fps with standard .003 arrows and 100grain head.

Havebt been in the woods with it yet, but damn sure confident to 50 yards

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I recommend R10, R29. Or even a good used R9. R29 handles better in blind and tree stand for me. Easier to carry in woods and fields too. A taller person R10 would pack pretty good too. Holding by limb when carrying uncocked to your hunting site.
Get one of those tuned up and get your shooting skill honed a bit. Deer better watch out. Stick with mechanical heads too. They work, namely rage. I know. Many first hand experiences. Good luck with whatever you decide. There is some good info - pics, commentary and vidoes to help you right here on this forum as it applies to Ravins - not so much though on the newer Ravins R500, R18.
Good idea to read up here too before you use your Ravin. Some safety info covered too. Little things that can add up to better safety and a more consistent shooting Ravin bow.
You have any questions later on for each away. No such thing a a dumb question here.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts