Crossbow Nation banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Six weeks?... what happens if you renege? Miss payments? Strikes me as almost being "predatory lending" to get you to pay for something you probably wouldn't buy. Seems to me if you can't afford to put it on your credit card and pay for it in 4.33 weeks, you're skating toward too much debt and more problems only getting a couple weeks more. It also feels to me to be a bad thing to buy discretionary toys on credit. I don't buy it if I don't have the money in the bank to pay the Cabelas card the second the bill comes in. Years back you used to play with the banks money for 30 days by paying your credit card bill at the last minute. Nowadays with the .01% interest they give you it doesn't pay not to pay the bill as soon as you get it.
I see all of the flip side too.....and I did not say I agreed with any of what I stated only that it may be a possibility based on those reasons. I am not buying a toy on credit either but there are those that will do just that.

·
Registered
Ten point havoc rs 440
38 Posts
I bought a whole heap of stuff in my life from bass pro and cabelas on the 6 pay plan. I would not have been able to afford it any other way. I am thankful it was available then as it helps people who truly want nice things and don’t have couple thousand just laying around to play with. I could pay alittle bit over awhile and get quality stuff I otherwise couldn’t have had. I’m thankful I don’t have to do that anymore but I am glad things like this are there for people who need it…

·
176 Posts
We have a few local stores that will do a year same as cash deal . When I was young I bought a handful of guns that way . One them does it year round now .

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Other than the whole lighted nock issue. Hopefully they can straighten that out. Ravin has treated me just fine on every other aspect.. I am not in love or fanboy of any of these companies. I use them until I dont

·
13,779 Posts
I bought a whole heap of stuff in my life from bass pro and cabelas on the 6 pay plan. I would not have been able to afford it any other way. I am thankful it was available then as it helps people who truly want nice things and don’t have couple thousand just laying around to play with. I could pay alittle bit over awhile and get quality stuff I otherwise couldn’t have had. I’m thankful I don’t have to do that anymore but I am glad things like this are there for people who need it…
Thing is ... you have self-discipline and can handle using credit. Too many people buy ten things on credit until the payments outstrip their ability to pay. Then starts the "rob Peter to pay Paul" routine. Often doesn't end well.

·
Registered
Ten point havoc rs 440
38 Posts
I surely don’t disagree with that. I never had a credit card myself until I was in my 40’s. I didn’t want one I didn’t feel responsible enough to have one for that very reason you stated.. I had the mindset if I couldn’t buy it with cash I didn’t need it . I have them mainly now to keep my credit built high and for emergencies..

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Look at the big picture.
Ravin doesn't own Ravin crossbows.

Velocity Outdoor adds Ravin Crossbows to its growing list of topnotch outdoor brands. Velocity Outdoor is the parent company for well-known outdoor brands such as Crosman and Benjamin Airguns, CenterPoint Archery and Optics, LaserMax, and GameFace Airsoft.Sep 5, 2018

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Ravin isn't the first company to do this and not just on the archery side. Most folks can handle payments versus laying the money out up front. If it's no interest if paid on time and you have the credit score to do so, there's no harm in it. I've used Pay Pal credit for a decade. Six months to pay with no interest. Wyvern Creations also offers this. An outside agency is used so the seller gets their money, I'm sure there's fees for zero interest, and the buyer gets their product and pays over time. That being said, my grandfather paid cash for his home and is turning over in his grave because I just wrote that.

·
13,779 Posts
I wanted ... a pair of Swarovski binoculars. I used the antiquated system of saving up over time THEN getting the binoculars. Rather than taking out a loan, getting the binoculars immediately and paying them off over time. Trouble with immediate gratification is sometimes "stuff happens" between the start & finish of buying a product. In the traditional system, if I have $1,800.00 under the mattress for my $2,500.00 binos and the refrigerator dies, I get a new refrigerator and start over. In the modern version you still owe $700.00 on the binos, plus another $1,800.00 to the refrigerator store. Those are the situations that can lead to bad credit reports and even what they call "repossession."...lol

·
Registered
wicked ridge blackhawk 360
863 Posts
I wanted ... a pair of Swarovski binoculars. I used the antiquated system of saving up over time THEN getting the binoculars. Rather than taking out a loan, getting the binoculars immediately and paying them off over time. Trouble with immediate gratification is sometimes "stuff happens" between the start & finish of buying a product. In the traditional system, if I have $1,800.00 under the mattress for my $2,500.00 binos and the refrigerator dies, I get a new refrigerator and start over. In the modern version you still owe $700.00 on the binos, plus another $1,800.00 to the refrigerator store. Those are the situations that can lead to bad credit reports and even what they call "repossession."...lol
How un-American of you. :LOL:;)

·
Registered
Wicked Ridge RDX400
192 Posts
Im going to call it like i see it. This selling perk is nothing more than being approved for a credit card . The only difference is you are forced to invoke an instant $3000+ opening balance (but wait, theres more ! You get 6 weeks free interest) . Once the 6 weeks expires your outstanding balance is subjected to typical 20%+ apr interest rates. If the consumer doesnt have the money to buy a Ravin outright , a 6 week interest free period is not going to make any difference in paying down the obligation. I seriously doubt Ravin is offering in house financing, im sure they have partnered with a 3rd party finance company for the credit side of the deal.

·
13,779 Posts
Wow never thought I would see the day where you need to take out a loan to buy a crossbow....

Overpriced are we!! Lol
Yeah ... and whoever thought you'd see the day that they put water in a bottle, hype a market for it among the yuppie/woke crowd and sell it to you for more than the price of a beer or soda??? :rolleyes: My grandfather is rolling over in his grave laughing. If I need water it comes outta the tap. Sometimes it comes oudda da tap and into a quart Nalgene bottle or two. When I think of all the frightening water that's made it's way into my mouth...lol Swimming in stagnant creeks in summer pushing the rafts of green slime out of the way to reach open water? Diving in filthy rivers? Lakes, the ocean?🤢 Bottled water my arse!!!
Shoe Liver Working animal Hat Landscape

·
Registered
Ten Point Nitro 505 Burris Oracle X
1,986 Posts
Yeah ... and whoever thought you'd see the day that they put water in a bottle, hype a market for it among the yuppie/woke crowd and sell it to you for more than the price of a beer or soda??? :rolleyes: My grandfather is rolling over in his grave laughing. If I need water it comes outta the tap. Sometimes it comes oudda da tap and into a quart Nalgene bottle or two. When I think of all the frightening water that's made it's way into my mouth...lol Swimming in stagnant creeks in summer pushing the rafts of green slime out of the way to reach open water? Diving in filthy rivers? Lakes, the ocean?🤢 Bottled water my arse!!!
View attachment 229226
Forehead Face Cap Jaw Plant

·
Premium Member
5,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I just read a study today that 74% of millennials in this country owe a dept. of at least $100,000! Home mortgages were not included in the study. 64% of the dept was credit cards.....

It's just too easy to swipe a card and get what you want these days. They don't even think about how they're gonna pay it back!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just read a study today that 74% of millennials in this country owe a dept. of at least $100,000! Home mortgages were not included in the study. 64% of the dept was credit cards.....

It's just too easy to swipe a card and get what you want these days. They don't even think about how they're gonna pay it back!
Not me, debt free other than my mortgage!

21 - 40 of 46 Posts