Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I hear some complaining about Ravin nocks being so difficult to attach and remove from bow string . How come ? Then how in the world are you guys attaching arrows with broad heads in pre dawn darkness ?

·
Administrator
TP Nitro 505, Siege X 2
1,931 Posts
I hear some complaining about Ravin nocks being so difficult to attach and remove from bow string . How come ? Then how in the world are you guys attacking arrows with brad heads in pre dawn darkness ?
Some people are weaklings ;) Your really want a Ravin nock to be tight for accuracy reasons.

·
13,210 Posts
Some people are weaklings ;) Your really want a Ravin nock to be tight for accuracy reasons.
Yeah ... I'll gladly put up with a little extra push to hear that reassuring "snap" and know the arrow is safely attached to the string come hades or high water! I've read the effort is reduced after the string breaks in a bit. I only shoot my Ravin through deer so I have too few shots on my string to confirm that. 😂

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I hear some complaining about Ravin nocks being so difficult to attach and remove from bow string . How come ? Then how in the world are you guys attaching arrows with broad heads in pre dawn darkness ?
It helps to have a little common sense if you're a Ravin owner.
All you have to do is set the bow in your lap after dropping the trigger box down on the string.
Next, merely nock an arrow on the string a bunch of times until you create a notch in the center serving. You don't even have to cock the crossbow.
This will work for factory strings and I make a special tool that works even better for aftermarket strings.
If you don't have a little common sense, Ravins are probably not your cup of tea.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I don't mind the occasional difficulty nocking the Ravin arrows, but definitely get a little peeved when I'm in the field and the arrow is so hard to remove that the nock pulls out and stays lodged deep inside the trigger box. :mad: 🖕

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I don't mind the occasional difficulty nocking the Ravin arrows, but definitely get a little peeved when I'm in the field and the arrow is so hard to remove that the nock pulls out and stays lodged deep inside the trigger box. :mad: 🖕
How does that affect the anti dry fire. I’ve had nocks pull out on my sz 350 by getting caught on the anti dry fire. Kind of sketchy situation

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Spartan, are you using factory strings?
This shouldn't happen with factory strings and of course, you can't blame Ravin if you aren't.

As I recall, I think you installed Archery Shack strings. Chances are the double served center serving is still a bit snug. It's strictly up to you but if you'll PM me, I can provide my nock centering tool at a very reasonable cost that will fix your problem.

You also might try first just applying a tiny bit of string wax (that should have been provided by AS) to the inside ears of a single Ravin nock. Now just nock this arrow a few times to lubricate the string nock notch. (Dang - I'm confused already with that tongue twister):);)
Then clean the nock of any wax and you should be good to go.

Take care my friend.

·
13,210 Posts
Has anybody ... loaded a Ravin arrow BEFORE cocking the bow? Is it mechanically possible? Admittedly I haven't given this much thought...lol Doesn't seem any more dangerous than loading one with the string already fully energized. That can be a fumble rumble under duress. If anything less dangerous and safer? Either way you have to point the bow in a safe direction. Seems it would be a lot easier, faster and more efficient. At least on paper...lol ;)

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Duke, I don't see why you couldn't but I think it's probably a bad idea because you've defeated the ADF right off the bat.
However, I always decock my R10 with the arrow loaded when hunting from a tree stand with a shooting rail. I'd just as soon not be worried about tugging on that arrow on a cocked xbow especially in cold weather.

·
Registered
Ravin R20, Centerpoint Wrath 430,Centerpoint Sniper Elite 385, SAS Aggressor 390, Barrnett C5 Wildc
168 Posts
Duke , yes it is possible on my R20 . It is very cumbersome though. I use this method when using a lead sled.

·
13,210 Posts
Duke, I don't see why you couldn't but I think it's probably a bad idea because you've defeated the ADF right off the bat.
However, I always decock my R10 with the arrow loaded when hunting from a tree stand with a shooting rail. I'd just as soon not be worried about tugging on that arrow on a cocked xbow especially in cold weather.
Amen ...lol It's usually dark when I unload my Ravin and there's so much hubbub getting out of a tree with all my gear that yanking the arrow out doesn't get the fear it rightly deserves...lol My concern is always the fletching ripping you up as you have a death grip on the arrow if the thing ever goes off.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Spartan, are you using factory strings?
This shouldn't happen with factory strings and of course, you can't blame Ravin if you aren't.

As I recall, I think you installed Archery Shack strings. Chances are the double served center serving is still a bit snug. It's strictly up to you but if you'll PM me, I can provide my nock centering tool at a very reasonable cost that will fix your problem.

You also might try first just applying a tiny bit of string wax (that should have been provided by AS) to the inside ears of a single Ravin nock. Now just nock this arrow a few times to lubricate the string nock notch. (Dang - I'm confused already with that tongue twister):);)
Then clean the nock of any wax and you should be good to go.

Take care my friend.
Interestingly, it only happened with the OEM Ravin string. It has not happened (at least not yet) with the AS string. But even aside from that, I have been considering adding your nocking tool to my arsenal of bigbird gear.

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
Tp had a custom set of pliers made to install the arrow
Works great. Just like Danny’s shaft puller. You can get a grip with these puppies. Since I have the Aerorest and need to finagle the shaft in between the 3 ceramic balls when loading, this tool keeps my hand out of harm’s way.

Best $30 I ever spent on each one.

Tool Hand tool Office supplies Wood Metalworking hand tool

Reactions: Iron Duke

·
Registered
Sonoran Desert Arizona.
1,128 Posts
Interestingly, it only happened with the OEM Ravin string. It has not happened (at least not yet) with the AS string. But even aside from that, I have been considering adding your nocking tool to my arsenal of bigbird gear.
I keep a pair of needle nose pliers in my truck in case I have a nock pull out. If they are coming out on factory strings they are too loose in the arrow . Glue them in.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I agree, thats ussually the issue with the lighted nocks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts