Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading posts and watching riflnuts videos and love them,they're very helpful. My question is, as of today
7/1/20 are the Archery Shack strings and cable issues for the r29 ravin all solved and are they the best option. I'm looking to change strings and cables soon
thank you .

·
SE VA
11,970 Posts
I can only speak for my R26 with Archery Shack string and cables. They are awesome in every respect. I’ve been shooting them for a couple months with no change in cam timing and no signs of serving or string wear.

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
For what it is worth Tom I sent Marty a factory string, a cable and a nock off my R20 this morning so he can see if he can duplicate it or not. I hope he can but time will tell.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I've been reading posts and watching riflnuts videos and love them,they're very helpful. My question is, as of today
7/1/20 are the Archery Shack strings and cable issues for the r29 ravin all solved and are they the best option. I'm looking to change strings and cables soon
thank you .
Boggymarti,
I believe if there were still any problems with Archery Shack strings, I most likely would be contacted since I have been involved with them since early on with their Ravin string development. I know there's a gentlemen named Hidden Waters on CBN who just ordered a new set after getting over 1300 shots on his previous set for his R10.
Also I believe Riflenut is ordering 2 more sets for his R29 so you could PM him as well. I've got a set on both of my Ravins and am still very pleased with them just like Moon.
AS strings make a Ravin shine in ways I never believed possible. It's amazing what you can do with a railless crossbow when the cables and string no longer stretch. Of course, if you do have any problems, Archery Shack will stand behind their product.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's what i needed to hear,
I also contacted AS via. text and they responded right away
I plan to order 2 sets next week .
Wow!!1300 shots I'm more than impressed . Thank you for the info
Bigbird and thank you to all that replied to my post

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
That's what i needed to hear,
I also contacted AS via. text and they responded right away
I plan to order 2 sets next week .
Wow!!1300 shots I'm more than impressed . Thank you for the info
Bigbird and thank you to all that replied to my post
Boggymarti,
You are very welcome. We are very fortunate to have a lot of experienced Ravin owners on CBN who can help you if you have a problem.
I also wanted to say that I agree with you completely concerning Riflenut's videos.
They have been a big help to many Ravin owners and we are certainly blessed to have him as a member of CBN as well.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I recently put Archery Shack string and cables on my R10. The fit is really good, and the bow shoots great, well worth it!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
AS sent me 2 new sets a few months ago to replace the cables/string that were too tight to assemble. They are way superior then the OEM Strings. I will only consider the OEM Strings now if BigBird reserves them for me. The Archery Shack string/cables I have on now are absolutely superb. I would also consider GAS as their quality and non stretch is superior as well. Ravin’s Strings are junk as evidenced by the string that came on my Son’s brand new R20 Sniper Package. You’d think for the cost of their crossbows they’d put a higher priority on fixing the way the Ravin nocks slide around laterally on their Strings. Their claim is that with the extreme string angle one doesn’t have to worry about lateral nock movement during the shot sequence. All my testing and that done by very reputable people on here like BigBird1, Riflenut & Iowa Guy begs to differ. Why a crossbow that costs more then some custom rifles doesn’t address issues like this is beyond me. This isn’t about a wear issue but accuracy. I applaud what Killer Instinct is doing to address their string & cable issue on the Swat XP before they get them in consumers hands. Ravin secretly added two strands to supposedly fix the serving separation and tightness of the serving issues but simply feels if their nocks slip 38”-1/2” laterally on their string it’s no issue.

·
SE VA
11,970 Posts
I can only speak from my experience with the R26 I purchased from Wyvern in early March 2019. The cable strands were becoming fuzzy looking early on. I purchased the 26 strictly as a hunting crossbow, not a daily shooter as I’ve done with numerous recurves. I frequently applied wax to the cable strands to minimize the fuzzy situation and kept hunting:- ) Timing of the cams gradually became so far off that at the end of hunting season (January 5) I just put the bow down until I could find enough nerve to switch them out for the new ones from Ravin. A few weeks later I decided to try the cable and string change using the Ravin press. I’m quite limited on the use of my right hand since suffering a stroke In November 2015. The new unserved cable end loops were already fuzzing up on me while struggling to get them installed. I finally gave up and decided the only way I was going forward was to find some decent after market cables and string. I read up on Archery Shack’s here on the forum, ordered a set and I’m here to tell you the difference is unbelievable. Absolutely no unserved end loop fuzzing plus rock solid cam timing as of today. Also, the string’s center serving is still like new after quite a bit of shooting. It’s too bad that quality level wasn’t on the Ravin when I purchased the crossbow.

On another note, the R26, even with the very marginal quality factory cables and string, was unbelievably consistently accurate using stock Ravin arrows. I don’t shoot using bench rests for practice or hunting. I’m shooting left handed without any use of my right hand or arm. The forearm of the 26 rests on my knee. I’ve owned lots of crossbows during the last 17 years and this little crossbow never ceases to amaze me from an accuracy standpoint. Its small size and light weight also fits me to a T. Too bad it did not come out of the box when new like it is now but better late than never (y)

·
SE VA
11,970 Posts
No shortage of BS on these forums lately. Moderator, please handle them accordingly.

·
10,163 Posts
I can only speak from my experience with the R26 I purchased from Wyvern in early March 2019. The cable strands were becoming fuzzy looking early on. I purchased the 26 strictly as a hunting crossbow, not a daily shooter as I’ve done with numerous recurves. I frequently applied wax to the cable strands to minimize the fuzzy situation and kept hunting:- ) Timing of the cams gradually became so far off that at the end of hunting season (January 5) I just put the bow down until I could find enough nerve to switch them out for the new ones from Ravin. A few weeks later I decided to try the cable and string change using the Ravin press. I’m quite limited on the use of my right hand since suffering a stroke In November 2015. The new unserved cable end loops were already fuzzing up on me while struggling to get them installed. I finally gave up and decided the only way I was going forward was to find some decent after market cables and string. I read up on Archery Shack’s here on the forum, ordered a set and I’m here to tell you the difference is unbelievable. Absolutely no unserved end loop fuzzing plus rock solid cam timing as of today. Also, the string’s center serving is still like new after quite a bit of shooting. It’s too bad that quality level wasn’t on the Ravin when I purchased the crossbow.

On another note, the R26, even with the very marginal quality factory cables and string, was unbelievably consistently accurate using stock Ravin arrows. I don’t shoot using bench rests for practice or hunting. I’m shooting left handed without any use of my right hand or arm. The forearm of the 26 rests on my knee. I’ve owned lots of crossbows during the last 17 years and this little crossbow never ceases to amaze me from an accuracy standpoint. Its small size and light weight also fits me to a T. Too bad it did not come out of the box when new like it is now but better late than never (y)
$3,000.00 crossbows … and you have to go to Aftermarket vendors to get a decent string?...lol Can Ravin stick it to the customer any deeper? For the kind of money they're getting they should come with the best string on the market. It's like buying a Lincoln and it comes with Walmart tires. But, you Ravin guys will muster the troops and defend the hive no matter what.

Reactions: Data

·
SE VA
11,970 Posts
Duke, $1,999. And, yes, even Ravins aren’t perfect but they have so many great features that greatly outweigh the string /cable wear that came on these bows a year ago. Your brand is seemingly still struggling with string issues on its latest high end model. So??? I think You are the one with blinders🙄. Stop hating and be happy😊. I didn’t just pluck a Ravin R26 out of the air to like. Been shooting lots of crossbows for 17 years so by now I have a fairly good Idea what works for me, don’t you think?:- )

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Duke, $1,999. And, yes, even Ravins aren’t perfect but they have so many great features that greatly outweigh the string /cable wear that came on these bows a year ago. Your brand is seemingly still struggling with string issues on its latest high end model. So??? I think You are the one with blinders🙄. Stop hating and be happy😊. I didn’t just pluck a Ravin R26 out of the air to like. Been shooting lots of crossbows for 17 years so by now I have a fairly good Idea what works for me, don’t you think?:- )
Duke,
I'd say Moon just hit the ball out of the park with his reply to you. I ask you to remember that Ravin is a young crossbow company relatively speaking when compared against folks like TenPoint and Excaliber. In just 4 years, they have turned the industry upside down and my bet is 'they ain't done yet.'
TenPoint's 2020 crossbow offerings as well as Excaliber's recent offerings provide absolute proof that Ravin is the up and coming competition that must not be ignored unless you want to keep losing market share.

Besides, those companies that often encourage a cottage industry of folks to provide accessories for them are often the most successful in the long run. It's creates a 'share in the wealth' attitude that's just adds to market share over time. Just look at Mathew's history with vertical compounds as an example. Heck, they even had their own ATA show for a while.

One day you might come around but it's all good because when I hear your negative Ravin comments, I just go out and kill more dots. I'm also doing pretty darn good with killing deer as well so have fun and shoot what you like..

·
SE VA
11,970 Posts
Mine doesn’t shoot like a rifle and I’m not disappointed because I knew I was buying a crossbow.....not a rifle. I would still have purchased the R26 if they had advertised that it’s my next tiny light weight crossbow that doesn’t have the best string/cable life yet😊. OK, so I had to put after market cables and string in it. It’s one badazzed little crossbow now that is exactly what I need and want for deer hunting and throwing an occasional arrow into the dot:- )

1 - 17 of 17 Posts