Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm totally new to crossbows, but I want to use one for archery hunting in Wyoming. My priorities are accuracy and at least 400fps. I can spend around $1,000 but would much rather save some money if possible.

I can get a new Ravin R10 for around $1,100. Any suggestions on a setup that would be as accurate and fast, but less expensive? Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks robertyb for the suggestion. I'll look into that one.

Huntersthompson - I'm demonstrating my ignorance here, but I don't think I could give you an exact arrow weight for that speed. My main purpose is to use it for hunting elk and I know that a higher energy level would be better. Also, I'm guessing the faster the arrow, the less that the wind will affect shot placement. Wyoming can get awfully windy :(

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
I have never been lucky enough to hunt elk. 400-425 gn is what I use for whitetail. I am gonna quess heavier for elk. Heavier should be less affected by the wind. I am sure some of the elk hunters here will give you pointers.

·
4,775 Posts
The SWAT XP will shoot 405-415/400g arrow. My favorite arrows for this xbow are Spynal Tapps , 22”, Vanetec 3.15 in medium offset, 110g DT insert, epoxied KI AL inserts, 100g TruGlo 4 blade expandibles (100g Grizz Trick if needing fixed).
‘The extreme accuracy, small size, light weight, moderately high speed, cost, all seem to make this xbow an excellent choice for you.

·
9,022 Posts
Every crossbow … is just as "accurate" and in many case MORE accurate because there are issues with a railess crossbow that all the others don't suffer with. And most are a darn sight less expensive.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hi guys, I'm totally new to crossbows, but I want to use one for archery hunting in Wyoming. My priorities are accuracy and at least 400fps. I can spend around $1,000 but would much rather save some money if possible.

I can get a new Ravin R10 for around $1,100. Any suggestions on a setup that would be as accurate and fast, but less expensive? Thanks!
Ive killed 20 some elk with archery equipment. I am now shooting Ravins. Use 400 grains plus on arrows. The Ravin 400 grain arrows work just fine.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts

All of the recommendations have been awesome, check out Borkholders youtube of the KI Boss 405- extremely accurate with their arrows(not sure of specs) but worth a look for the price.
Steve

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
Every crossbow … is just as "accurate" and in many case MORE accurate because there are issues with a railess crossbow that all the others don't suffer with. And most are a darn sight less expensive.
Please explain these "issues".

·
9,022 Posts
Please explain these "issues".
Archer's paradox … Roller arrow guide. Arrow tuning is reintroduced whereas it's not nearly as critical with your common railed crossbow. The vast majority of crossbowers will suffer rather than realize any theoretical accuracy gain from having a railess crossbow. Toss in the propensity for canting such a narrow crossbow and you're looking at LESS accurate for the masses rather than 100 yard rifle like performance.

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
Hmmm, I have not experienced any of these with my R20. How about you Moon, are you having problems with your Ravin? Nt having any problems with my Scorpyd DS 420 either and it is semi railess.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
You get to that 400fps level and bows get more expensive. A Scorpyd DS 420 would be a good one to consider.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Saw the killer instinct burner 415 on ebay for $288.00. No Swat but it will do the job for cheap.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Ive killed 20 some elk with archery equipment. I am now shooting Ravins. Use 400 grains plus on arrows. The Ravin 400 grain arrows work just fine.
I'd listen to HunterB who has more experience shooting elk and other North American big game than probably 99% of the folks on here. I've seen just a partial set of photos of his trophy kills. Most folks who haven't been out West don't have a clue as to what it takes to be as successful as this gentleman has been.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Hmmm, I have not experienced any of these with my R20. How about you Moon, are you having problems with your Ravin? Nt having any problems with my Scorpyd DS 420 either and it is semi railess.
Same here...R10 shoots great, on par with my Scorpyds...

·
1,709 Posts
It's pretty evident that if an elephant can be killed by a bow that is rated at 350 ft/sec with a 350 gr arrow or an Ontario record moose killed by a 250 ft\sec bow, that you have a wide choice of bows that include slower bows and maybe ones that are known for reliability. You simply do not need the crazy speeds. I've only shot 2 elk with firearms in CO and WY and they were all within 40 yards. The faster you go, the less reliable. I would be really tempted to take a Swat XP and tune it down to 370 to 390 ft/sec to increase reliability. Unfortunately the XP has not had the test of time but that's me.

Reactions: SEW and BigBowMan
1 - 20 of 21 Posts